University Project (Charging Rucksack Concept)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dzsteven1

Post by dzsteven1 »

Hello,
I am currently studying mechanical engineering at university and for one of our group projects we have to design a biking accessory. Our group has come up with the idea of a rucksack with compartments for laptops and smartphones and other electronic devices. The bag would be attached to a dynamo on the bike so that it is able to charge electronic devices as you cycle to work or when on a road trip etc.

We need to do some market research and any feed back on this idea would be very much appreciated. Does this product appeal to you? Can you see a place for it in the marketplace? How much would you be willing to pay for it?
Thank you!
Si

Re: University Project (Charging Rucksack Concept)

Post by Si »

Most cyclists hate ruck sacks unless they are for very short journeys, or you are off road where putting stuff in panniers would compromise handling. Ruck sacks can give you a sweaty back and make your shoulders ache. If you are just thinking about short journeys, where ruck sacks make more sense, then your idea of charging it as you ride doesn't work so well.

Sorry, but it's not an idea that appeals to me, thus I wouldn't buy such a product.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The mention of laptops is significant. I don't know how vibration-proof modern laptops are (as opposed to tablets or similar, which I assume are immune from anything) - but I wouldn't trust mine in a pannier. So if I have to carry one (very rarely), into the rucksack it goes. I think it all depends on how heavy your rucksack load is. A small rucksack, lightly laden, over a moderate distance, isn't usually a problem.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I sometimes carry a laptop in a pannier. I put it inside a laptop bag, in the pannier. No problems (so far).

I don't wear rucksacks on bikes.

The idea sounds useful for hill-walkers, especially on a walking/camping tour with limited opportunity for charging gadgets.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Carry laptops in panniers all the time - 6 years of commuting, no damage.

Laptops are very resilient, just don't have the disks pinning - I.e. Properly hibernate or shut down...

Unfortunately they are also power hungry compared with things like phones - one lends itself to charging on the move, the other doesn't.

Existing products exist for anything USB charged, so I'm not sure what it is youre ooking at doing.

My current 'dream design' is actually a dual camera, loop recording, system with a half decent remove able battery, or better still, 6V AC power source.
Then it can start up when the bike starts, record until a while after I've stopped (1-2 minutes, need to think about traffic light sequences) even if that 'stopped' phase is at a reduced frame rate.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

dzsteven1 wrote:Hello,
I am currently studying mechanical engineering at university and for one of our group projects we have to design a biking accessory. Our group has come up with the idea of a rucksack with compartments for laptops and smartphones and other electronic devices. The bag would be attached to a dynamo on the bike so that it is able to charge electronic devices as you cycle to work or when on a road trip etc.

We need to do some market research and any feed back on this idea would be very much appreciated. Does this product appeal to you? Can you see a place for it in the marketplace? How much would you be willing to pay for it?
Thank you!

I don' t use a helmetcam, but for those of you who do, might something to charge one of those be helpful? Just wondering....
The only electronics I use on mine is the bike computer, which gets through about one battery every 8 months. :wink:

Edit: thinking about it, it might be useful to have a USB charger for the mobile, as that can go flat more easily than anything else I have.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I'm also not willing to use a rucksack to carry items whilst cycling.

You've suggested attaching the bag to a dynamo whilst you're riding to charge gadgets in the bag, I can't begin to imagine the amount of faffing about that will involve every time I get on and off the bike.

As the dragons would say - "I'm out."
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Actually if I were going to design something for cycling, it would be a waterproof bag with a sealed mini USB, maybe in a couple of different sizes, and with a click clip for mounting on handlebars. I like my phone, and I'm happy to use it as a GPS, but it's not waterproof, and the battery doesn't last so long when I use it as a GPS. Waterproof bags are available, and dyno chargers are available. But I have yet to see a combination that makes it feasible to use my phone as a GPS for long rides or touring.

The same concept might work for a tablet on top of a handlebar bag or something.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RickH

Post by RickH »

If a rather expensive solution, there is already a bar bag from Ortlieb (Ultimate 6 Pro E - SJS link) that has electrical connections in the bag mount to make/break the power connection so will enable charging small electronic devices (laptops are probably too power hungry for any bicycle dynamo setup).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

That doesn't quite solve the problem because one cannot use a device whilst it charges, at least if the waterproof part is required. The Ortlieb bag has both, but not useable at the same time. I would actually prefer something simpler and less expensive.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

gaz wrote:I'm also not willing to use a rucksack to carry items whilst cycling.

You've suggested attaching the bag to a dynamo whilst you're riding to charge gadgets in the bag, I can't begin to imagine the amount of faffing about that will involve every time I get on and off the bike.

As the dragons would say - "I'm out."

Same here.

And isn't lugging a laptop around just a bit 1990s?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Isn't this one of those posts where the OP disappears as quickly as they arrive?
Si

Post by Si »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Isn't this one of those posts where the OP disappears as quickly as they arrive?

If they don't log in to read the topic we've no way of knowing how often they come back to see what people have said.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Si wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Isn't this one of those posts where the OP disappears as quickly as they arrive?

If they don't log in to read the topic we've no way of knowing how often they come back to see what people have said.

And I guess if they don't log in they have no way of thanking those who help with their uni assignments. [emoji53]
trull

Post by trull »

It would be good if they could design a good quality bike box suitable for air travel that cost less than 200quid.