he is a bad man!

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
hufty

Re: he is a bad man!

Post by hufty »

nez dans le guidon wrote:The funny thing is people obsessed with helmets tend not to wear gloves. Picking gravel out of your palm is no fun!

I'm always amused by road riders wearing black helmets. If you buy into the whole helmet thing, that same common sense innit should tell you that wearing a white or fluoro helmet will reduce the risk of an incident in the first place.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
nez

Post by nez »

They've probably got fluorescent everything else. Wearing a hat won't in itself stop you falling over, I know.
Zigster

Post by Zigster »

pjclinch wrote:But write to Scout Towers and have a moan: if people don't then the assumption is it's okay. Point out, for example, Tim Gill's well thought of, evidence based, child-centred "Cycling and Children and Young People" (free download at http://www.ncb.org.uk/media/443203/cyclingreport_2005.pdf which concludes the case has not yet been convincingly made
for the compulsory use or promotion of cycle helmets
, and the latest revision of the Sustrans helmet policy (We support the individual’s freedom of choice whether to wear a cycle helmet or not, and for parents to make that choice for their children.
Helmet wearing isn't a legal requirement in the UK, and the evidence is inconclusive as to whether it makes cycling safer.
)

Great link - thanks. I might just print it out and post it through my neighbour's door! :) But she'd know it was from me ...

To be clear - I think the Scouts are a wonderful organisation - I love seeing how the Cubs mature and grow in confidence during the time they are in my pack, and get to do things that many of them would not otherwise get the opportunity to do on today's tech world - their favourite is always the annual camp. But Scouting is (IMHO) a little too risk averse these days (there's a good chance they would recommend wearing high-viz for a game of hide and seek), not least because the parents expect it. I can understand why Cub Scout leaders wouldn't have the enthusiasm for a protracted debate with parents who are convinced of the efficacy of helmets, particularly as many of those Cub Scout leaders are also parents with the same views.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

As well as that cycling report, Tim Gill has done stuff about outdoor activities where the benefit of risk is taken in to account. Have a butchers at http://www.englishoutdoorcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/Nothing-Ventured.pdf, and you might as well bookmark his main page at http://rethinkingchildhood.com/.

The Scouts are indeed a great organisation. I was relating our summer camps to my daughter the other day. We'd put stuff for two weeks in the back of a furniture lorry, pack the spare spaces with about 30 scouts, and it would be driven from SE London to somewhere like Wales or the Lakes. A particular standout was sailing through the Monmouth Regatta on oil-drum rafts. I suspect not quite the same these days, but still rather splendid.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...