Tent suggestions - 2.5 person for cycle touring

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
rannochraider

Re: Tent suggestions - 2.5 person for cycle touring

Post by rannochraider »

I would certainly consider this one for a family tent that's still portable on bikes.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-omega ... 40004&Pg=2

Held in high regard as outlined in the many reviews and it's big enough in terms of floor space to get a double airbed or self inflating style mats in the living area. Big roomy porch to store kit and cook in. If you're interested I can get you an unused (never even unpacked) 2014 model 350 for a very good price for collection or plus postage or . message me if you're interested. :wink:
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

We toured with twin toddlers and I'm a bit taller than you. Started with just a cheapo igloo tent bought from one of the big retailers. Just went to one that had lots of them set up and tried them until we found one that fitted. That did us well apart from one very windy night where we needed to give the poles some additional help to stop it flattening on our faces in the big gusts. After a few years we graduated to a Vango but by then they were no longer toddlers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes 2.2 Metres is just ok for a six footer, once you point your toes an put an arm out.
But with the extra size goes with extra weight if your carrying it.

Two types of camping -
Those who want shelter for a night going A - B (Double skin tent with room to lie flat of course)
And those who want to sit around doing the washing, drying it and admiring all that space, the downside is extra weight and bulk.

Its great having a porch, and with your demands then you will need one for sure.

For me the needs of backpacking and cycle touring are the same, I am normally caught on the hop in failing light and just try to find a flat piece of ground for a coffin one man tent no porch :?

Even if your used to backpacking your family needs are different for sure.

A three man tent with space for you to lie flat and extra under cover storage is mandatory, add the necessary headroom for you and your there.
See if you can get a look at one in a show room, once sized up you can look at the bargains to be had.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm not expecting to be able to sit up in this tent. I've got family tents I can sort of stand in, plus others I can sit on a chair in. This is for shelter only. The compromise for being light and packable is not enough headroom and a snug fit for length.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Tangled Metal wrote:I'm not expecting to be able to sit up in this tent. I've got family tents I can sort of stand in, plus others I can sit on a chair in. This is for shelter only. The compromise for being light and packable is not enough headroom and a snug fit for length.

Well .... Not really, the compromise is cost ! There are a few tents out there that will provide plenty of headroom and even floor and porch space that will be light and packable. They won't be cheap. If you want something suitable for two adults and a youngster (and all it's requirements) you can find lots on the market. If you want lightweight then you will still find lots but they will hit you in the wallet. You can get everything you need much cheaper if you want to go heavier ?
Having had three kids I can tell you without fear of contradiction that you WILL need a tent that you can sit up in. Most of the tents that have been mentioned offer one or the other. Take the expensive lightweights and you will be sorted. plenty of room and light but expensive. The cheaper Vango type tents , plenty of room, heavier but much less expensive.
There's lots of choice out there. What it comes down to is how much you are willing to spend.
hamster

Post by hamster »

We were in a similar dilemma some years ago and bought a Wild Country Monsoon. It's best to think of it as a bloated version of a typical 2 man geodesic backpacking tent, that sleeps 4. There's sitting headroom (standing for under-6s!) and loads of space with a big porch. When cycle touring it has to go on a trailer as packed it is too long, but with kids you typically overshoot on luggage and routes are shorter and less hilly anyway.

While a 3 man tent will sleep you all comfortably, I suspect you will need more space to spread stuff out, change nappies, play etc.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We're even thinking of other options, even with what we have now (UL 2 man and a 2.5kg 2 man tent combo). I was thinking the UL 2 man tent for other half and toddler with me using the usual bivvy and UL tarp. Got tarps from 1.24 x 2.2m up to IIRC 4m x 4m so plenty of choice. If we were doing it all wildcamping style I would consider tarps and a bug nest for us all. I personally like the trailstar. I reckon I could get one of those US shaped tarps like that and a matching bugnest for summer use.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Tangled Metal wrote:We're even thinking of other options, even with what we have now (UL 2 man and a 2.5kg 2 man tent combo). I was thinking the UL 2 man tent for other half and toddler with me using the usual bivvy and UL tarp. Got tarps from 1.24 x 2.2m up to IIRC 4m x 4m so plenty of choice..

It will be fun watching you put up two tents and a tarp, after a long day in the saddle, on a wet and windy evening, with an over excited toddler wandering round doing their best to help you :lol:

On a more serious note, two small tents and a tarp and you are looking at six kilograms. That is what a tent like our Helsport Svea Camp 4 weighs. One tent is a lot easier to put up than three.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Two small tents or one small tent and a tarp bivvy combo. Never would take the tarp with 2 tents.

Trust me we could put tents up blindfold in a storm. Well I could with mine. As far as a tarp goes I have done that, well in the dark without a headtorch in a storm with no light from stars or moor to help. Had the tarp pitched for the conditions when I went to sleep not what came in. Had to grab the tarp from the 2 pegs holding it down and re-pitch it in another, more stable style, all the while trying to find where the pegs went and where my handful of spare pegs I had mistakenly packed (found them that evening in the bottom of the sack but hadn't meant to carry extras).

Our method of pitching tents is my partner is the toddler wrangler and I am the tent putter upper. If he is behaving she helps but if not I do it. Small backpacking tents I could put up in 5 minutes, well good enough to get my partner, child and kit into with some tweaking at my leisure. I find I am never happy with my initial pitch and always spend a few more minutes of post pitch tweaking, usually after dinner and a cup of coffee or just before bed.

The only difficulty I have with pitching the tents is if my lad decides he wants to help. He is good at running around for the pegs but even despite that help he does get in the way in his earnest wish to help. Cue a trailer full of toys if the weather is bad.

Our trips are likely to be in the good weather window we have in May/early June. If we go to Scotland it is usually second half of May because IME we get the better weather then and the midges are not usually that bad then. I think with a bit of planning you can get very lucky with the weather. I have had quite a few years end of May in SCotland now with absolutely perfect weather for a whole week (at worse one day of rain and another slightly overcast one trip). One of them was Skye win glorious blue sky from almost horizon to horizon (walking then and you could see 3 sides of the island and other neighbouring islands too on some of the hills we ended up on).
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

vango mirage 300.... 3.5kgs freestanding and just works