Wiggo wants compulsory helmets

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
TonyR

Wiggo wants compulsory helmets

Post by TonyR »

Wiggo's in the Evening Standard tonight suggesting helmets should be made compulsory.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/s ... rnalSearch
maxcherry

Re: Wiggo wants compulsory helmets

Post by maxcherry »

I bet he doesn't brake the record (the *P fairy told me) :twisted:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

For now he has the beard, so partial respect. Wait till he grows his hair long and he'll soon change his mind............b
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

The main point of the story was, as with most stories in the Standard and Independent, an excuse to publish a picture of the paper's owner.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Sorry, he may be an amazing competition cyclist, but, it's a bit like taking advice about driving to the shops from Lewis Hamilton - completely irrelevant to me. Also, if you end up with a hair style like that from wearing a helmet, I'm glad I don't.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
hufty

Post by hufty »

Again... individuals can decide for themselves that sometimes the risk of a head injury is low enough for adults and the children they are responsible for to ride without a helmet

Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

As with Cracknell, promoting the sale of equipment that you are being PAID to promote without stating the conflict of interest is at best dishonest
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Perhaps, now they're getting rid of drugs in cycling, they should tackle dishonesty, ouch!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
irc

Post by irc »

So how many crashes has Wiggo had? Google suggests a fair number. If I crashed that often I might wear one too. As I haven't crashed in years he can mind his own business.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The thing is, Wiggo isn't a cyclist.

Yes, he can ride a bike, but he's not really a cyclist, he's an athlete who rides a bike rather than runs/swims/plays tennis/skis/football/rugby.

He therefore has a completely different outlook to the chap down the road who rides his bike to to work and back.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Mick F wrote:The thing is, Wiggo isn't a cyclist.

Yes, he can ride a bike, but he's not really a cyclist, he's an athlete who rides a bike rather than runs/swims/plays tennis/skis/football/rugby.

He therefore has a completely different outlook to the chap down the road who rides his bike to to work and back.

Indeed. The likes of Chris Boardman has far more sensible things to say on the subject of cycling safety. Of course Wiggins still rides on UK roads but at the same time isn't an average UK cyclist.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote:The thing is, Wiggo isn't a cyclist.

I would agree with your sentiment but feel your perspective is 180 degrees off.

My wife, being Dutch, has got about by bike since she was about 4. She didn't realise she was "a cyclist" until she moved to the UK. As with the Merkin-centric "biker", to me "cyclist" denotes an Enthusiast rather than an ordinary chap(ess). Which is all part and parcel of where it's Gone Wrong in the UK. Most of us drive, I don't think most of us think of ourselves as "motorists" in a making-a-statement sort of way.

But the broader point that it's about context of actual risk, rather than assume you're Doomed if you're riding any sort of bike, anywhere, anyhow, is right on the money. I doubt if Wiggins is dishonestly promoting helmets, I suspect he's been immersed in an environment where they're used without question for a long time and hasn't actually stopped to research or think about it in the wider contexts cycling as a whole includes. Chris Boardman, OTOH, has had time (and cause) to stop and research and think about it, which is why if you want a World Champion TTer and Olympic Gold Medal holder to talk about helmets you go and ask CB, not Wiggo (and that's what BC's policy arm, the Get Britain Cycling enquiry etc. do).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wiggo is primarily an athlete, not primarily a cyclist.
He happens to ride a bike - and be good at it - to achieve his athletic feats, but primarily he's an athlete.
Mick F. Cornwall