Cycling Chester to Bowland

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
alpgirl

Cycling Chester to Bowland

Post by alpgirl »

Hi
I am thinking of cycling from Chester to Slaidburn in the Forest of Bowland in a couple of weeks. I wonder if anyone has any idea of the best way to go. I will be on a road bike, so don't want canal tow paths. I would like to avoid main roads where possible, and busy town centres. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Norman H

Re: Cycling Chester to Bowland

Post by Norman H »

I've done this as part of LEJOG. It's a bit convoluted to explain but I may have a gpx file somewhere on my old lap top if that helps.

I was camping at Birch Bank Fm Nr Christleton, just to the east of Chester, From there I joined the A51 and followed it east to the B5393 and then on NCR70 through the Delamere Forest to Join the A49 just before it crosses the River Weaver and the Trent and Mersey canal. The A49 is not a bad road. It was a weekend and there were lots of local roadies on it. Continue on A49 to just beyond the junction with M56 and then turn right onto B5356 towards Lymm. Just beyond Lymm turn left onto the B5159 toll road (bicycles go free) over the Manchester ship canal. Join the A57 for a short distance and then follow B5212 via Glazebrook to Culcheth. It gets a bit urban here. Take the A574 towards Leigh and meander through Westhoughton and Adlington. At Adlington leave the A6 and follow the minor road that runs along side, and eventually crosses, the M61. Head for Lower Copthurst and eventually pick up NCR91 through Top O' Th' Lane, Hoghton, Samlesbury Bottom, Mellor and Whalley. From Walley there are various options, I went via Bashal Eaves and Cow Ark. I think that's preferable to the long drag up on the road from Waddington.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I'd agree with that. Leave the A59/A6 at or before Chorley and head East. I think Norman means Regional Cycle Route 91 which is more commonly known as the South Loop of the Lancashire Cycleway (meeting Regional Route 90 - the North Loop - at Whalley). You can pick this up near Wheelton. It is a good, if lumpy, route following quiet lanes. All on road, no silly Sustrans paths. I don't actually mind the B-road over Waddington Fell but agree that the route through Cow Ark is nice. Another option instead of following the cycle route onto Whalley is to leave it after Mellor, cross the Ribble at Ribchester and head North to Slaidburn via the quiet lanes. No such thing as a bad choice of route when you are north of the Ribble :D
alpgirl

Post by alpgirl »

That's great. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Will have to get planning now!