Got a ****** re the helmet from my work boss

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
samsbike

Got a ****** re the helmet from my work boss

Post by samsbike »

Leaving work on Friday it just so happened that my boss was leaving on his scooter the same time I was leaving on the bike.

So after saying how mad I was to cycle without a helmet, I did comment that he was riding a scooter in central london with no protective wear, other than gloves and helmet. Also the helmet was not a full face but one of those trendy open face ones.

Now I am pretty sure it was worse dressed than me, but it was interesting that he felt I was in the wrong. Techinically there is nothing work can impose especially as I have not used cycle to work. There is a mandate that if you get a bike on C2W and use it for work you have to use a helmet
Bonefishblues

Re: Got a bollocking re the helmet from my work boss

Post by Bonefishblues »

CTC Forum meltdown approaching :?
Phil Fouracre

Re: Got a ****** re the helmet from my work boss

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Whadaya reckon, ten pages at least
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
irc

Post by irc »

samsbike wrote:Leaving work on Friday it just so happened that my boss was leaving on his scooter the same time I was leaving on the bike.

So after saying how mad I was to cycle without a helmet, I did comment that he was riding a scooter in central london with no protective wear, other than gloves and helmet. Also the helmet was not a full face but one of those trendy open face ones.

Pointing out that he is mad to use a scooter when it's far more dangerous than cycling might be a good start.

Relative risk of different forms of transport, Great Britain: 2011
Casualty rate per billion vehicle miles

Killed Killed or seriously injured

Car driver 3 26
Pedestrian * 42 542
Pedal cyclist 35 1,035
Motorcycle rider 122 1,868

http://road.cc/content/news/68212-dft-c ... cling-risk
hufty

Post by hufty »

(1) I'm not sure what it is you got from your work boss due to the autocensor.

samsbike wrote: There is a mandate that if you get a bike on C2W and use it for work you have to use a helmet
(2) This may be a side-issue but what do you mean by a mandate, and is this a national scheme thing or is this something from your work?
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine