camping pet hates

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Tacascarow

Re: camping pet hates

Post by Tacascarow »

Waking up & finding the tent zip frozen solid when you're dying for a pee & no empty bottle!
(Tip to self if you go out on the beer the night before in the Lakes in spring........)
Luckily a neighbour heard me & poured some water over the zip to defrost.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

psmiffy wrote:Booking into a campsite and not being told that for the showers you need a special token

and as the 'patron' has decided to bugger orf you then can't even buy one! :evil:

Got my revenge - he wasn't about for anyone to pay the next morning either so I didn't.

I won't name the site but its just off the Main Radweg north of Aschaffenburg, west bank.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Wildcamping it is waking to find out the dry plot was now 6" deep stream running down by the side of the crag, result was 6" of water in the downhill foot of my tent.

Waking up after a midge free Scottish week on your last morning of holiday to see a black cloud buzzing above your tent.

Getting made to move our tent by the missus after some irate twerp grassed me up for moving his stuff out of the way to pitch there...Only joking.

+1 for the close pitching. Although we are now using C&CC sites or their listed sites now so mostly they tend to have a 6m rule. I have seen them telling someone mid pitch to move it because they were too close. Another site the guy who shows you your pitch actually paces out 6m from any nearby tent or caravan then pegs out the corners of your plot.

Over-judicious campsite employees who peg out the exact boundaries of your plot in what is basically an open field free to pitch anywhere. Someone who tells you to move your guyline because it is a foot outside said plot.

People who leave their empty shower gel in the shower (or other personal hygiene products). Irrational hatred but there you go, that is just me for that i guess.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Choosing a campsite that says it's quiet and peaceful with no music or excess noise after 10 pm, then having drunk people shouting, singing, swearing... into the early hours.

One of the reasons I don't camp a lot in this country.
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

People who complain a lot! ;)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ipswichcycler wrote:People who complain a lot! ;)

because we have hates doesn't mean we are complaining :)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
robing

Post by robing »

whoof wrote:Choosing a campsite that says it's quiet and peaceful with no music or excess noise after 10 pm, then having drunk people shouting, singing, swearing... into the early hours.

One of the reasons I don't camp a lot in this country.

Had this happen to me once, but it was a bank holiday. If you can go off season this rarely occurs.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

When I drop towel and/or clothes in dirty shower water after trying so hard to keep them totally dry
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

foxyrider wrote:
ipswichcycler wrote:People who complain a lot! ;)

because we have hates doesn't mean we are complaining :)

:)
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

My pet hate is the absence of big boulders or similar to keep cars and tents apart. Such separation is quite a rare luxury, in fact, but I think it'd be central to any campsite I owned.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Mine's the pricing issue - it's so difficult as a solo camper without car to find somewhere which doesn't charge £14/24/34 for 2 adults, 2 kids etc. Often great value for them, but hopeless to me. I've tried explaining this to the campsites I've contacted in the hope they'd do half price but they really don't seem to get it. If it's a hedged site I'm more sympathetic as I do get allocated as much space as a family (but obviously don't use as much water, etc.) but there are few of these in UK. And of course I get a huge tent, the car, and the awning plonked right in front of me!
I'm off on a short tour later in the week and I'm using almost entirely Camping and Caravanning Club sites as they are such good value.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
graymee

Post by graymee »

Having to pay extra for showers when you've already paid a reasonable amount for the pitch. I don't mind paying extra for showers if the pitch is cheap.
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

[quote="quote]

I had a ridiculous issue in the Lakes years our tabBBQ etcwatago where er, le, chairs, was physically moved off our pitch Worse than Hyaenas! (Which is a true story

Did you really bring that lot on your 'bikes'?

I know you were but please confirm you're 'aving a laugh.......
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

Just wild camp. You'll be spending the night overlooking some of the best views ever. No showers? Just pull into the nearest town, find the swimming pool. Shower and shave or whatever - why you can even have a swim!

Beats me why anyone would willingly get ripped off just to stay in some noisy chav ridden 'campsite' for the dubious assurance they'll be safer.

But of course: respect. ' leave no trace.'

Don't be put off by others that tell you to 'arrive late, leave early'. Bu**er that. You don't have to do that away from towns. Just find the nearest pub festooned with horse brasses, get a pitch within walking distance and you're all set.

There's no adventure without risk
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Tasker wrote:Just wild camp...
There's no adventure without risk
You'll recognise, of course, that people's attitude to risk varies widely.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)