You and yours bbc 4 26th May 2015 - Chris Boardman

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dynamite_funk

You and yours bbc 4 26th May 2015 - Chris Boardman

Post by Dynamite_funk »

I have searched but cant find it on the forum. Should be an interesting programme. Maybe people would like to call in and express an opinion?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 0622,d.ZGU
tatanab

Re: You and yours bbc 4 26th May 2015 - Chris Boardman

Post by tatanab »

The link above goes to an old programme. Today's, to be transmitted at 12:15 is http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05vy4kk
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

tatanab wrote:The link above goes to an old programme. Today's, to be transmitted at 12:15 is http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05vy4kk

Cheers matey
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Par for the course. Boardman talking some Good Sense, some irate callers who couldn't see the point if it came up and bit them on the nose, some fairly sensible callers (thankfully the final one was one such), I suspect few folk thinking very differently to how they did before.

I suppose we just have to keep plugging away...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

It was a pretty rubbish format. It would have been nice if Chris Boardman was able to interact and debate with other guests and callers, but the format only allowed a couple of minutes for the presenter to ask the same set of questions for every caller. It was a waste of time, both listening and for those who were a part of the show. None of the people featured seemed to leave thinking differently from when the program started. Had I known it was an "air your grievances" show like Points of View, I wouldn't have bothered with it.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

I thought the format was classic tabloid BBC outrage trolling which seems to have reached Radio 4.

The presenter spent her time buttonholing callers to answer stupid questions, such as "should bike be registered and have numberplates", and did not even seem to be aware that Bikeability replaced Cycling Proficiency some time ago, nor that it is available free in half (?) of schools, nor as to what it actually comprises.

The Beeboids had just not done any prep as to what works and what doesn't, which is unforgiveable for a 45 minute flagship programme.

If they had done some prep she would have been able to explain why such ideas are dead ends.

There were some interesting callers and interviewees such as a founder of the London-Brighton run, who thought that cyclists had lost the habit of situational awareness, someone from the IAM who made the point that it was about habits and culture not quick fixes and kneejerks, and several others.

Chris was very good and very sensible, and will imo make a significant difference but it will take a generation. It should have been about him and the callers, not a series of rhetorical muggings from the presenter.

But he needs to work on his Maths. I had to check that he hadn't been to Oxford University to be taught that counting consists of "1" .. "2" .. "3" .. "lots". He's so much better than all the media idiots with Oxford Arts Degrees who can't add up.

I spotted 2 howlers. One of them was that 30% of Danish journeys by bike are not the "vast majority".

Overall, a wasted opportunity salvaged slightly by a few of the contributors.

Ferdinand
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Freddie,Ferdinand.
Spot on.
Another opportunity missed IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I must admit that I was tempted to ring in and suggest that pedestrians have number plates tattooed onto their foreheads to make them easier to trace and more accountable :-)

I thought that Chris did pretty well. He asked the question "What is it that you are trying to achieve?" and stressed the point that far more motorists kill and injure people than do cyclists. Yes, far more work to do but it takes high profile public figures to put the case for cycling
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Freddie wrote:Had I known it was an "air your grievances" show like Points of View, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

Well it is known as 'Whinger's World' :roll: :lol:
"42"
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

I liked it.

Having a proficiency test isnt a bad idea. It could be enhanced by insisting that everyone has to take it before they get a drivers licence. It was maddening to hear a lorry driver complain about us when I've personally nearly been killed twice by lorries on roundabouts. I gave up my car eight years ago and I've had more abuse in those eight years than I ever had driving cars and motorbikes in the previous fifty.

Having said that these cyclists are what drivers see most and complain about most and it's to them we'll have to send thanks when they slap plates on us.

https://www.facebook.com/torgeir.moen.1 ... 953989541/