Do you guys think this is a fair price?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
stu57

Do you guys think this is a fair price?

Post by stu57 »

SimonCelsa

Re: Do you guys think this is a fair price?

Post by SimonCelsa »

I'd say no; but if you like it & you've got the cash then does it really matter what others think.

I've just spent a few days in London with the wife & 3 kids and was spending roughly that amount daily, I think I'd prefer to have bought a few bikes instead!!

Buy it if you like it,

all the best, Simon (by the way I wouldn't pay more than £150 but I'm no expert)
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Price might be a little high, IMHO, but obviously someone has put some effort into sprucing it up and it is a lovely bike. I bought an identical bike but a 25" a few years ago off this forum for £130 but it hadn't had all new tyres, cables, etc. I had spent a fair bit more than £250 by the time I got it how I wanted it.

Couple of things to note, though...

I'm pretty sure those are not the original levers. My bike came with 7-speed RSX STIs and very nice they are too. I suspect the conversion to downtube shifting is because they stopped working, as did mine, but I reveived mine with a degrease and relube (the grease dries out and they stop clicking after a time but it is not usually terminal) I would see if the seller still has them.

That crankset was recalled in 1997 due to a lot of cranks snapping. I had mine replaced under warranty in 2012 through Madison, the UK Shimano distributor.

That said, I have really enjoyed mine and put a couple of thousand miles on it including my first century rides. There was some discussion in a thread on here as to whether it was 531 or not as it isn't stickered as such but concensus was that it probably was.
stu57

Post by stu57 »

Thanks for your words guys. I will give it some thought!
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Only suitable for people >6ft.
I should coco.
stu57

Post by stu57 »

Thanks, I'm a long-legged 6'1!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Malaconotus wrote:That said, I have really enjoyed mine and put a couple of thousand miles on it including my first century rides. There was some discussion in a thread on here as to whether it was 531 or not as it isn't stickered as such but concensus was that it probably was.

The one in the link is stickered as 501. I think I recall them mostly being 501 but they did share a 531 frame with the Galaxy at one point (late 90s?)
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Valbrona wrote:Only suitable for people >6ft.

Depends on how long your legs are. I'm 5ft 6" and ride a 23 inch Raleigh Royal which fits just fine, but then I do have a 32.5" inside leg measurement.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

has a damaged top tube? if u zoom in one of the pictures can clearly see all the paint off about middle on top to left of "Horizon". Dishonest not to show that in greater detail? I wouldnt buy. Are the forks original? Mine from 1999 had the same forks as the Galaxy of the day not the curved crown.
milkonesugar

Post by milkonesugar »

I have the same model Horizon and it all looks pretty original to me, curved crown, same brake and gear levers, even the little plastic chain guard thing on the chainset, that I took off mine... the front mudguard appears to be cut off a bit short for some unknown reason, can't comment on any visible damage. I think I paid £400-plus for it all the way back in '94 or '95, so it may be a little overpriced; I'd pay it if I wanted it enough. :D One design fault is the internal routing of the rear brake cable through the crossbar, otherwise it's a lovely bike, smooth, quiet comfortable ride.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

How about contacting buyer with a lower offer?

If it doesn't sell at that, they will no doubt cut the price at some point anyway?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It looks in pretty good nick, but I would ask to go and see it. The rims look like the braking surface might be worn? It's possible that it will need new wheels soon. I can't see what wheels those are. And yes, there is at least one scratch, and some rust on the top tube that deserve a closer look. There also appears to be a little rust on the forks I would look at.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think the bike is misdescribed; I am almost certain it is a 25" frame not a 23" frame.

Realistically I think you are in for

-saddle
-tyres (it has skinny 28mm Michelins on it at present, recently fitted by the look of it, selected because they are cheap I expect)
-mudguards (the front one is too short at the front)
- other stuff you can't see.

Otherwise it appears to be a fairly unmolested example (I've seen others with the same frame/fork and all the same parts fitted, some in a shocking purple colour).

However I wouldn't buy one of these unless I really wanted this particular model for some reason. If you do want this particular model this one looks like a decent one because it doesn't look to have seen much in the way of weather. It isn't that it is a bad bike per se, it is just that I couldn't live with some of the shortcomings.

The negative points on this particular model include;

- nondescript TIG welded unicrown fork, sourced in the far east. Probably it is stiffer than it needs to be for unladen work.
- the wheelset; around this time Dawes were using DT spokes (very good) and Vuelta rims (OK, nothing special). These wheels were even well-tensioned and can last well, very well for a factory wheel, even. But in any kind of winter use, or after a few years regardless of use, the rear rim tends to start cracking on the DS spoke eyelets. The rims are (IIRC) single eyelet so once they crack it is game over. If you do buy a Dawes with these rims, check them carefully for cracks and adjust the price accordingly. Rims are consumables after all... these don't look as if they should be worn but cracking is always a risk.
- risk of water ingress to the top tube. This is the biggie for me; around this time Dawes went a bit mad and fitted a hidden cable routing in the top tube. The plastic fittings very commonly leak water into the top tube and then the frame can rot out from the inside. It is basically a crap idea.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brucey wrote:

The negative points on this particular model include;

- the wheelset; around this time Dawes were using DT spokes (very good) and Vuelta rims (OK, nothing special). These wheels were even well-tensioned and can last well, very well for a factory wheel, even. But in any kind of winter use, or after a few years regardless of use, the rear rim tends to start cracking on the DS spoke eyelets. The rims are (IIRC) single eyelet so once they crack it is game over. If you do buy a Dawes with these rims, check them carefully for cracks and adjust the price accordingly. Rims are consumables after all... these don't look as if they should be worn but cracking is always a risk.

cheers

I can confrim that, My Horizon had those rims and yes nicely tensioned and yes the rims cracked - I didnt notice until long after I stopped using the bike a spoke only ever broke once so I thought a good wheel, never thought at that time that rims could crack
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
NO

Cheap parts and unbranded brake levers mismatched to what brake arms :?:
Recalled cranks......................................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.