Are Female Cyclist more at risk

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
toomsie

Are Female Cyclist more at risk

Post by toomsie »

A female cyclist die again by a HGV. This appears to be far too common relative to other types of cyclist. This is odd considering that many cyclist do not cycle well or take too many risks . On the way to work a sidewalk cyclist was keeping up with me crossing the side roads without checking. I have seen many squeeze between buses choose the wrong position when exiting and entering roundabouts with cars undertaking cutting in front of them. I would like to know what subtype of cyclist are more at risk.

Link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lo ... icRSS20-sa
Psamathe

Re: Are Female Cyclist more at risk

Post by Psamathe »

A tragic accident.

University of Bath research suggests that women are at less risk as they tend to be given more passing space. http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/articles/archive/overtaking110906.html

Interpret the research as you want.

In terms of statistics, can you reference where you get that women cyclists are at more risk (with regard to HGVs) as the linked article does not make reference to female cyclist accidents relative to other cyclists.

It would be interesting to see the historic data for HGV/cyclist accidents in case the press has latched-on to these tragedies (not that I'm against publicity bringing pressure to bear on authorities, but press reports can skew impressions).

Ian
Two_Trooper

Post by Two_Trooper »

I don't think so, I see it more of a risk taking and untrained to see the dangers. The concept is lost a majority of road users- not just cyclists. To reply on the operators of trucks/lorries/busses even cars is not very wise. I often say to myself "there goes another donor" when these mavericks trust the operator to "see them". But then again can you really know if the driver is careful or even legal to operate the large vehicles? would you take the chance, not me.
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

Two_Trooper wrote:To reply on the operators of trucks/lorries/busses even cars is not very wise. I often say to myself "there goes another donor" when these mavericks trust the operator to "see them"..

Driving make me feel at unease. Many time I pass oncoming traffice at 30mph. Should they move the steering wheel a little the wrong way, it will be time to get a new car.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

I don't know what's going on. Six people on bikes killed on London's roads, so far this year, and all of them female. That is more than coincidence, especially when considering how few cyclists are female.

As the father of a female, and partner of her mother, I really want to understand why.

I can't believe these tragic deaths are happening through recklessness. If sweeping statements can be made I would certainly say that women are not as reckless as men. So what is it?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

ArMoRothair wrote:I can't believe these tragic deaths are happening through recklessness. If sweeping statements can be made I would certainly say that women are not as reckless as men. So what is it?

We've a road system that takes large testicles to use in heavy city traffic, to plonk yourself in the middle of a lane and risk 'inconveniencing' righteous drivers - particularly when they sit inches from your rear tyre.
I think it simply favours aggressive males and in that respect it's not so much recklessness as a more 'meek' approach to cycling in traffic that's the problem.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Women are certainty not reckless. But maybe their comparatively passive approach to traffic and their different level of spatial awareness is contributing to these unacceptable deaths. At the end of the day the responsibility for the deaths is firmly with the driver of the vehicle.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don't think it is anything to do with spatial awareness, it's the lack of assertion - which some drivers take as an invitation to overtake when there really isn't room.
There is also a significant number of incidents where the victim is run over by a left turning lorry.

There are two ways that can happen - the lorry driver pulls alongside (or fails to finish a poor overtaking manoeuvre) and then continues to turn with the victim unable to do anything about the lorry driving over the top of them OR the victim can start to filter past the lorry using the piece of tarmac they are generally advised to use, and the driver then starts and turns left over the top of them.

Taking the lane is important - doubly so in the country's capital city...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Along with the spatial awareness thing (don't get it myself but then i have pretty good spatial awareness) I also think women have poor awareness of the ability of vehicles / drivers blind spots etc.
My early cycling days out with the blokes in the cycle club meant i picked up a lot of chat about driving, driving lorries and had a b/f who did at least nurture me on how to drive on motorways with lorries around and advised me of their capabilities.

Frankly i do not think young women (and possibly some men) of today have those advantages.... it is probably every father's responsibility to ensure their daughters are taught such basics along with their b/f / partners....

I when we are out i often try to point out danger spots, the value of watching what drivers are doing, blind spots etc to my son, along with the requirements that larger vehicles may require in terms of space and stopping distances etc...

I well remember a work colleague, newly passed her test decided to drive to Liverpool to visit family, came back regaled us with tales of how awful it was driving on the M6 with lorry drivers honking at her, i had visions of her probably not driving very fast and possibly causing lorry drivers to slow down when they needed revs on etc., to get up the next drag.... and not really understanding that they need to keep their speed up..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Another tragic piece of news from our roads. My feeling is, there really is a disparity between the incidence of male and female victims, and I wish we knew the reason why. If I'm right, and a properly controlled study were made to discover the cause of this, it may lead to our roads becoming safer - for either sex.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

What's more important, saving lives or sticking to the PC mantra that we are all equal and the same.
Spatial Awareness . . Knowing where you are in reference to the things around you. Like motor vehicles.
Males have a higher level of spatial awareness (SA) than females. . . Google it !
That SA helps males avoid a degree of impact with motor vehicles by a heightened awareness of what's around them.
Males need lessons in personal hygiene, ego management and childcare . . Females need to be more SA.
Lets help each other to stay safe.
Last edited by landsurfer on 29 May 2015, 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Cyclists are taught not to ride overly meekly, as it can get you passed closely and otherwise taken advantage of, in ways that actually put you at risk. It's been argued many times that women are, as a group, more likely than men to make this error. Whether there's evidence I'm not sure, but this year's stats don't look good.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

landsurfer wrote:Females need to be more SA.

The assumption being that SA is something you can teach.

Let's assume it's not. Let's also assume that some folk will always have less than others. What then becomes the solution?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:Females need to be more SA.

If women DO have less SA what implication does it have for their driving?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mike Sales wrote:If women DO have less SA what implication does it have for their driving?

I'm guessing speeds/distances etc as set out in the highway code plus the driving test set a fairly low barrier for such things. I doubt they're set to tax those with superlative SA.