Do you wear a helmet?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.

Do you wear a helmet?

Yes
31%
No
47%
Sometimes
23%

Total votes: 118

beardy

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Post by beardy »

All I am saying is that if you choose to wear a helmet, then it makes no sense to wear it some of the time.

I assume that you take it off when you are not riding your bike. If so you have already decided that some activities (cycling) justify the helmet being worn and other activities (non-cycling) do not justify the helmet being worn.

I have decided that motorcycling justifies a helmet and non-motorcycling doesnt justify a helmet.

It would be equally logical for people to decide the mad-cap racing, close packed field of a sportive justifies a helmet but Sunday on the Sustrans track with the kids or nipping to Tescos doesnt justify a helmet.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

robing wrote:I don't want to get in to an argument about pros and cons of helmets. All I am saying is that if you choose to wear a helmet, then it makes no sense to wear it some of the time. It's like saying I'll wear a seatbelt when I drive on the motorway but not around town. When I have come off my bike ( thankfully not often) I didn't expect to come off.

If I ride through the woods in a hurry with lots of low overhanging branches I'm at fairly high risk of the sort of hit a cycle helmet is built for. If I ride to the shops I'm at very low risk of such a hit. So it makes perfect sense to wear one for the former but not for the latter. It's not a case of I can't hit my head going to the shops, but my chances are very much lower.

I can get myself dead from any trip or fall on to a hard surface, but in other walks of life almost everyone plays the odds rather than make an absolute decision. Up a ladder, do I get someone to hold it? If I'm clearing out top line gutters, yes. If I'm changing a lightbulb inside, no. And so on.

Should you fall off your bike and hit your head... you can't tell in advance whether you'll take it on the chin, so do you always wear a full-face helmet if you're wearing a helmet, just in case?

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

pjclinch wrote:If I'm changing a lightbulb inside, no. And so on.

You need to do one of these though. :roll: http://safety.dept.shef.ac.uk/riskass/L ... anging.pdf
mjr

Post by mjr »

pjclinch wrote:If I ride through the woods in a hurry with lots of low overhanging branches I'm at fairly high risk of the sort of hit a cycle helmet is built for.

Really? What helmet testing includes a frontal/oblique hit on a branch-like object? The above is why I wear a beanie - or thinner cap when it's hot. I don't miss having my head yanked back if the branch catches a hat. I'd rather it knocked the hat off and I stop to pick it up. Smaller hat seems to mean fewer branch strikes too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

The risk level varies, for example a track sprint rider may have a risk of say 1000 falls per million km and a tourist cyclist perhaps 50, not precise figures, but there could be a 20 to 1 factor. So an individual may think the risk is sufficient to wear one for one type of cycling but not for the other. Riding in the dark may also affect what a person decides to wear. Convenience and enjoyment are factors that may influence what is worn. Typically people consider helmets more suitable in higher risk situation.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

mjr wrote:
pjclinch wrote:If I ride through the woods in a hurry with lots of low overhanging branches I'm at fairly high risk of the sort of hit a cycle helmet is built for.

Really? What helmet testing includes a frontal/oblique hit on a branch-like object? The above is why I wear a beanie - or thinner cap when it's hot. I don't miss having my head yanked back if the branch catches a hat. I'd rather it knocked the hat off and I stop to pick it up. Smaller hat seems to mean fewer branch strikes too.

Back in the days when I wore a helmet a branch caught in a helmet vent off-road and lifted me off and backwards from the bike by my head. Fortunately I was not going too fast at the time but still had a very sore neck afterwards. I now take my chances with the branches and a bare head and so far have not had a single hit. Risk compensation in action?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TonyR wrote:Back in the days when I wore a helmet a branch caught in a helmet vent off-road and lifted me off and backwards from the bike by my head. Fortunately I was not going too fast at the time but still had a very sore neck afterwards. I now take my chances with the branches and a bare head and so far have not had a single hit. Risk compensation in action?

It could be argued that if you hadn't had a branch get caught in your helmet on that day,you'd still be wearing a helmet when riding off road.
A branch could also have the same effect if caught in the eye socket :shock: or under the armpit :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Out today -

Plenty still wear no seatbelts.
Some on their mobile (texting) whilst at the traffic lights.
Some wearing seatbelt just around their waist :?

There are plenty that do not think that it will ever happen them, they might be the best safest drivers in the world but you cant allow for the drivers coming the other way on the wrong side of road.

These are the sort of arguments put forward here.

Either a helmet is on or off and your choice.

There is one thing you can never predict when and where a bad thing will happen.

I had a life changing crash 33 years ago and I still pay today.

I hit a car on my motorbike and landed on rocks on the grass verge which pushed my ribs into my spleen.

Later the rocks were removed and the speed limit calmed.

Now I see the rocks are back in a vain attempt to stop cars parking on the verges and also travellers camping on the common.

You cant predict when or where, those who use that argument are just wishful and clutching at anything to distract from the fact that they think they can see into the future.

I wear my helmet and I agree that I would not say for purely safety reasons too.

For me its keeps sun and flies out my eyes and has temporary even longish protection from rain.

Its got to be no or yes and its your choice but the "sometimes" are vainly attempting to predict the unpredictable I.M.O.

I think also there is always some hard core who see what is a simple choice as somehow an intrusion on their individual right to make a personal decision, a bit like the ones who deface ballot papers.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
beardy

Post by beardy »

So how come you take it off when you are not cycling?

Or am I jmaking to a false assumption there?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
TonyR wrote:Back in the days when I wore a helmet a branch caught in a helmet vent off-road and lifted me off and backwards from the bike by my head. Fortunately I was not going too fast at the time but still had a very sore neck afterwards. I now take my chances with the branches and a bare head and so far have not had a single hit. Risk compensation in action?

It could be argued that if you hadn't had a branch get caught in your helmet on that day,you'd still be wearing a helmet when riding off road.
A branch could also have the same effect if caught in the eye socket :shock: or under the armpit :?

Fell of on the tarmac for the first time in over 30 years the other day, with exception of a staggered cycle path gate catching my pannier and grounding me, I was going between a plastic bollard and a plastic railing (road works) beckoned on by the workmen to proceed.

I bruised my arm two places but not bad........................you can never tell.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I think also there is always some hard core who see what is a simple choice as somehow an intrusion on their individual right to make a personal decision, a bit like the ones who deface ballot papers.

There are charities and legislators campaigning to remove that choice - somehow an intrusion on the individual's right to choose, don't you agree? I don't see what that's got to do with defacing ballot papers, but anyway, that seems to be a perfectly legitimate act, for those who find themselves faced with a list of candidates, none of whom they trust to represent them.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Australia the first country requiring cyclists to wear helmets also requires people to vote, so they tell people what to do, with fines for those not complying. Freedoms we have in the UK.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I think also there is always some hard core who see what is a simple choice as somehow an intrusion on their individual right to make a personal decision, a bit like the ones who deface ballot papers.

There are charities and legislators campaigning to remove that choice - somehow an intrusion on the individual's right to choose, don't you agree? I don't see what that's got to do with defacing ballot papers, but anyway, that seems to be a perfectly legitimate act, for those who find themselves faced with a list of candidates, none of whom they trust to represent them.

+1 and guilty as charged on a number of ocassions yer 'onour
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:+1 and guilty as charged on a number of ocassions yer 'onour

Then I'll link to this again:

[self-promotion] I'm pleased with it mostly because Steve Bell chose to show it on Channel4 news (during an election cartoon competition). But I can trot it out at any election, as it'll always be relevant.[/self-promotion]
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I protest!
It looks nothing like me..... ....but the axe is similar to mine :D
W H Auden