noise from cassette

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

noise from cassette

Post by simonineaston »

My Shimano M771 isn't particularly noisey, I admit, but it occurred to me that by changing the lube, I might get it quieter - any tips, folks?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Re: noise from cassette

Post by foxyrider »

Team Sky use Morgan Blue
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Team Sky, Morgan Blue?... are they Hollywood actors - or famous race horses?? ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

S
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

simonineaston wrote:My Shimano M771 isn't particularly noisey, I admit, but it occurred to me that by changing the lube, I might get it quieter - any tips, folks?

wax lubes can help things run quieter. perfect chainline, spot on cassette/mech tuning. fish oil for the knees.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

foxyrider wrote:Team Sky use Morgan Blue

I purchased a bottle of their dry lube following recommendations - though not yet got round to trying it !! Maybe your comment will motivate me to clean my chain and start using it.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I try and keep the cassette rings free of lube as it attracts muck build up and bad changes ( and therefore noise). The grease from the chain should be sifficient to lube the cassette. I dont get any noise from my system. maybe take a look at your chain and keep it cleaner and lubed ( I use chainsaw oil)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

andrewjoseph wrote:fish oil for the knees.
Good call...
S
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

simonineaston wrote:My Shimano M771 isn't particularly noisey, I admit, but it occurred to me that by changing the lube, I might get it quieter - any tips, folks?

I rushed into that one - I meant the ticking of the ratchet pawls on over-run :oops: The noise has got nothing to do with the poor innocent M771, but rather, comes from the free-body, which is a NovaTech product... Sorry to mislead you, folks!
S
mig

Post by mig »

'dolby'
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you use some oil or semi-fluid grease inside the freewheel mechanism it will make it quieter. However if the lube is thin and the seals are bad, it will all come out and make a terrible mess. If the lube is too thick the pawls may skip in cold weather ( very bad indeed). It is a delicate balance.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
beardy

Post by beardy »

any tips, folks?

Dont stop pedalling. :lol:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

beardy wrote:
any tips, folks?

Dont stop pedalling. :lol:

Tried that once, didn't like it!
S
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

BTW I really can't stand noisy freewheels; when I was a kid and I wanted a noise like that I could stick something in the spokes.....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Brucey wrote:If the lube is too thick the pawls may skip in cold weather ( very bad indeed). It is a delicate balance.
Tell me about it! I have an SA 8 speed hub that's been apart and back together again I don't know how many times to try and find the reason for the very intermittent and occasional pawl skip - replaced the lube with every decreasing viscosity choices - am now on some left-over Duckhams Hypoid (to deal with those extreme pressures don't you know ;-) ) which more-or-less does the trick, but not 100%-ly...
S