Extremely tight freewheel removal

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Extremely tight freewheel removal

Post by pete75 »

Trying to remove a free wheel from a tandem hub and it has so far resisted all attempts. Final attempts made mounting my Park freewheel remover in a large engineering vice attached to a substantial bench in a farm workshop. Two 6ft tall strongly built chaps turning the wheel failed to budge the thing and yes we were turning it in the right direction. This was after the free wheel threads had been soaked in plus gas for about 10 hours.
The last go knackered the free wheel remover. Have ordered another one , Kamasa this time as I know from experience in fairly heavy engineering they are a proper tool company who make tough tools. Will have another go with this method but if it doesn't work what else can I try short of dismantling the free wheel and then resorting to the likes of an angle grinder and chisels or even gas bottles to get the freewheel centre off the hub - and the latter likely a very bad idea for a steel item screwed onto an aluminium thread.
Only other thing I can think of is using an air impact driver but I'm loath to do something that involves a lot of percussive force - has anyone ever tried one of these on bicycle components.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
TonyR

Re: Extremely tight freewheel removal

Post by TonyR »

I had that problem on a tour in Denmark - tandem freewheels can get very tight. The freewheel remover wasn't doing it so we took the freewheel apart until we just had the central body left and then clamped that in the vice instead. Felt very guilty because the bike shop owner who lent me his workshop was in his first week home after a heart attack but insisted in joining in the tugging and straining till we broke it free.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

stupid question; do you really need to remove it?

I ask because most of the things you might need to do (fix body, replace axle, new sprockets, new spokes) are often possible by stripping the freewheel body down.

I agree that stripping the body down might well be the next step; I have strong doubts that any remover will be strong enough if the freewheel is stuck on there badly enough.

A couple of ideas;

-if you want to save the freewheel body, consider making a tool up from 1/4" thick plate which goes round the body centre, with two welded lugs that engage with the pawl pockets.

- once the body centre is exposed you can often give the thing a few smart taps with a flat drift, radially, in order to loosen it slightly; precessing the blows ACW round the periphery can help too. Even the heat from a hot air gun will help (too much can wreck stuff) as can using a cold wet rag on the hub body when the freewheel is hot.

BTW for dealing with the worst splined freewheels, I have made my own remover tool (to fit shimano etc) by grinding splines into the OD of a 1/2" drive socket with the correct major diameter. This allows the tool to work up to the shear strength of a decent 1/2" square drive, (about 400ftlbs). Probably something else will break before that fails, in fact...

Last resort is to grind slots in the body and then to shatter it in situ; if this is done carefully the hub need not be damaged.

good luck!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I'd prefer to remove it for a variety of reasons - not least because being able to remove is vastly preferable in the event of any problems out on the road. Grinding and smashing the body is what I think I'll end up doing but want to avoid if possible.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wonder if stripping the wheel down and fitting a new hub would be the easiest solution.

Is that an option?
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:I wonder if stripping the wheel down and fitting a new hub would be the easiest solution.

Is that an option?

It's always an option but finding tandem hubs that take an Arai drag brake is not that easy....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

being able to remove a freewheel body in the workshop may give you some confidence that you'll be able to d it again when you need to 'in the wild' but IME this confidence can be somewhat misplaced. Tandem freewheels pretty soon get so tight that they are complete so-and-sos to remove, especially if you have a strong crew and you use low gears.

I think that provided you are happy to destroy the freewheel body, there should be no need to scrap the hub in the event of a stuck freewheel though.

cheers
LWaB

Post by LWaB »

Removing a tandem freewheel required 3 big blokes and a fair bit of swearing when I had to do so a few years back. Cassette hubs are a much better option.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LWaB wrote: .................Cassette hubs are a much better option.
This was my thoughts I suppose, but getting one with a drag brake appears to be a problem.

What I know about the ins and outs of tandems, you could write on a postage stamp. However, if something is stuck solid, it either needs removing by destruction or giving up and renewing the whole assembly.

If it were me, and I wanted to keep the hub, I'd strip the freewheel down to just the stuck boss, then cut and chisel it off. Hopefully because the steel is very hard, it would crack cleanly.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've only had to remove splined free wheels. The ones which require a notched remover would be much more difficult. Couple of tips, make sure you hold everything in place - ie if a bolt on hub replace the nut to stop the tool from slipping, or qr. I have previously held the remover in a vice but the reaction forces when the freewheel came free on one occasion caused the cast iron bench vice to break. I then resorted to putting a ring spanner in the new vice and the remover in the ring. I finally used to wedge the wheel with tyre on against a solid door frame or end wall and with someone holding the wheel I used the ring spanner with a scaffold tube as an extension. this allways worked for me.
And after you have removed it make sure you clean up the threads well and use some anti seize copper grease before putting the new one on :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Got it off. Kamasa free wheel remover arrived today and is obviously tougher than a Park one. Retried the vice method and remover stood up to it but freewheel didn't budge , hell of a lot of spoke wind up though. Tried a different method , using decent 21mm socket on remover and breaker bar both from 1971 vintage Hilka socket set and a single blow from a 12lb sledge on breaker loosened the freewheel. Nothing damaged so a good result. Tightness was in no way corrosion enhanced - well no sign of it on either hub or freewheel threads.
james01

Post by james01 »

pete75 wrote: , hell of a lot of spoke wind up though. .

Yes, I've often wondered at what point collateral damage starts when unscrewing gets this serious. Any sign of spoke pull-through? Anyway, congratulations!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

james01 wrote:
pete75 wrote: , hell of a lot of spoke wind up though. .

Yes, I've often wondered at what point collateral damage starts when unscrewing gets this serious. Any sign of spoke pull-through? Anyway, congratulations!

Nope all looks fine. They just sprung back when pressure released. Tension doesn't seem any different and wheel is still true. There's a lot of strength in 40 2mm diameter spokes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well done! Presumably this means that your touring toolkit should contain;

1) kamasa remover
2) breaker bar and socket
3) twelve pound sledgehammer

:roll: :mrgreen:

cheers
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:well done! Presumably this means that your touring toolkit should contain;

1) kamasa remover
2) breaker bar and socket
3) twelve pound sledgehammer

:roll: :mrgreen:

cheers

What do they say about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit. :)