What's wrong with me ???

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
helenheart

What's wrong with me ???

Post by helenheart »

I'm leaving for my first leg - Land's End to Manchester on Monday and am half way through sorting out the route. I have my accommodation booked, and now am finalizing which route to take. I am using paper and photocopies of pertinent maps, and by choice will have no technology with me. I'm finding this planning tedious, laborious and joyless and resort to playing hearts on my 'puter whenever I should be 'getting down to business'. I know some are disdainful of too much route planning, but I generally feel it is a good idea - so I am wondering if this has happened to any one out there, and if I should be worried about my lethargy?
All thoughts, opinions and comments welcome!

FYI - Wadebridge, Holsworthy, Bampton, Glastonbury (Yay!) Monmouth, Clun, Whitchurch, Sale.
maxcherry

Re: What's wrong with me ???

Post by maxcherry »

Doing things at the last minute gets the heart pumping :D
Maybe you just are not in the mood to pootle at the moment. I know at times when i plan epic
journeys one day, then next day i just am not up for it so i do something else.

Any how, in the event of stalling, make tea, slice cake and look at a map. Think brave and fearless thoughts
and just get on with packing. If at any point you want to turn back from your adventure, then do it.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Don't worry about it ........... there's alway a road and too much planning inhibits your choices (how you feel on a particular day). Just plan enough to avoid main roads and go with the flow. We did a shed load of planning and had some lovely laminated maps..... and then ignored them as we went along and followed nice bits of raod that 'went the right way'! Enjoy!!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

I was thinking that I would just use a very basic road map, two sides of A4 or similar area and a compass on the bars.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
binsted

Post by binsted »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

I was thinking that I would just use a very basic road map, two sides of A4 or similar area and a compass on the bars.

Thats what I would do next time, mark the whole route on a Philips navigator map book and tear out each days pages as I go.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

These 4 comments were more helpful than you can imagine... thank you.
I've just fitted my new Ortlieb panniers on....WOW - what a great product. I struggled with the decision as to whether to go cheap or Ortlieb and am thrilled with my decision. I went for the basic pannier and they're a cut above everything else I looked at and contemplated.
+1 for spending the money.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Dear HH, I am sympathetic to your plight, but I am wondering where you picked up the notion that you should enjoy the process of planning & preparation...
Each to their own, say I. And if you think you're enjoying those Ortleib panniers now, wait till you travel though a day of torrential rain (fingers X'ed for you, this won't happen...) and the contents, including your change of clothes, are still dry - then you'll be Luving them Double! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Some of my best tours have been largely unplanned. Or planned on the go, booking things two or three days in advance.

Whenever I've done something in a peak season, I've booked everything in advance, but that has sometimes put pressure on me that reduced my enjoyment.

I do enjoy planning, but there are some aspects that are definitely tedious.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Two more posts/pearls of wisdom.
I'm a planner by nature and this is the first time I've come across it not being fun - so I guess I finally get why half (?) of mankind thinks it sucks! Thanks to these insightful replies, I have happily quit the tedium, quickly made sure there are not huge gaps in my general route and cracked open a bottle of red.
It's gonna be a great trip.
It's raining cats and dogs as I speak....GOOD, means it will be fine on Monday. 8)
For the uninitiated.......+2 for Ortliebs - the more I look at them, pack them and take them on and off mi bicicleta, the more I love them.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

On my last LEJoG (2014) I had a map to get me from Lizard point to Cambourn / Redruth, then after that a set of daily route cards with the road numbers and destinations on it. I laminated them and the one in use was kept in the side pocket of my rack top bag for easy access. I used them up as far as Ludlow then it was A49 and home to south Manchester then I didn't need them again until Glasgow. To be fair I was following my original route from 2009 :D

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Malc - How would you describe the A49? It sure would be nice to just shoot straight from Whitchurch to Sale without worrying about the route.
I'm avoiding main roads generally speaking.
Cheers
Helen
JohnWL

Post by JohnWL »

Sorry cannot help as to A49 but as to routes I also felt it got a bit of a pain .

I did LEJOG and started on 4th June 2014. I did work out a route - and a few variations depending if I was feeling like doing hills which I avoided where I could .

I also changed the route as I went - for example I went for unintended miles along the canals in and around Wigan, did a Sustrans route through a field into Hereford etc and was very glad that I did. I also went to the Cowal peninsula to avoid Glasgow and was very glad I did , especially looking at the cyclists I saw on that route up the old A74 yesterday which has a dreadful surface and due to the closure of the M74 tons of artics .

Apart from the first night I just turned up and found places or else booked by 'phone that afternoon. I did have a place to aim to get to , which I got to most of the time. Sometimes I was tired or sore so cut the distance down .

I really wasn't sure that I would make the distance never having cycled for more than 3 consecutive days before so I did not want the pressure of a fixed route and booked accomodation.

For me that uncertainty really added to the enjoyment of the trip. Good luck and most of all enjoy it !
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

The weather has to get better at some point so hope it gets sorted for you on Monday (we had some warm days in York this week but raining again today but no wind and not cold).

There's no right and wrong way of doing it. Personally, I usually like planning but have done plenty of trips with no fixed route or destination each day to know that invariably it works out. For my recent trip I fixed all accommodation but that was because I was doing quite big mileages and wanted to travel light. Being flexible means you can respond to circumstances or comments on the day as well as looking at maps and seeing how you're feeling, whether to tackle the hills or avoid them!

Some comments on your route:

Holsworthy has a church clock that chimes each 15 minutes so if you're staying near to it earplugs might be an advantage (I stayed v close and used earplugs and slept soundly). Should be some lovely lanes from Wadebridge to Holsworthy, especially from Hallworthy upwards - but they all get you there in the end. The A3072 going east is generally well surfaced and much quieter after the A3079 turns off to Okehampton, quick run to Hatherleigh, from where I assume you'll cut across to Bampton. There are cafes in Hatherleigh.

I love cycling along the Wye valley, beautiful scenery, pretty level and not very busy (and good cafes at Tintern). The A446 from Monmouth does have some hills, actually some big ones, but I found this some of the most attractive countryside anywhere, and not busy. Then the A49 into Hereford not long and take the A4110 north (the turning is just after the Cranfield Project, delightful community project with café, on the A438 in Hereford). I've used this route twice on ETEs and found it pleasantly undulating and quiet, taking me to Craven Arms - assume you'd turn off to Clun before you get there.

From Whitchurch I followed the A49, but I used it as quick route through Lancashire. Nowhere very busy but it is a main road and goes through all the towns and in places bit hectic. Not sure how far north you'd follow it but does have the advantage of no route-finding delays and, on a final day, sometimes you just want to finish! I liked the transport café where the A49 met the A533 on the left, a welcome break, if you're still on it at that point.

Anyway, the main thing is that you enjoy the trip and do it how you want to - the best bit is simply being on a bike knowing that's all you have to do that day.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

helenheart wrote:Malc - How would you describe the A49? It sure would be nice to just shoot straight from Whitchurch to Sale without worrying about the route.
I'm avoiding main roads generally speaking.
Cheers
Helen

I've ridden up from Chepstow ( after crossing the Severn 2009) you join the A49 just north of St Owens Cross. no problems at all It was nice following the Wye for several miles. then through Hereford, nice view of the cathedral as you come over the hill into the town. stopped overnight in All Stretton camping barn. the following day I left the A49 at Whitchurch for the A525 / A530 heading for home via Nantwich and Crewe A534.over the M6 look for the sign for Brereton Green about 50yds from M way. Holmes Chapel A535 past Jodrell Bank or take the A50 through Knutsford and Altrincham .

In general I've never had a problem on these roads. I've cycled on many that are far busier, I do cycle and commute in traffic so I'm used to it. As a comparison I'd say it was quieter than the A6 from Manchester to Carlisle and I've used that route a few times, If you do go A6 look out for Fredericks Ice cream shop at Chorley https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Fre ... be9e34e207 well worth a stop. :D you might have to queue with the other cyclists :lol:

Hope that helps

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Still reading and appreciating - thank you all.
And a huge thank you for those commenting on my route - I am feeling more than ever how invaluable these golden nuggets are.
I also read about warmshowers.org today in the Guardian - I don't think I would use it myself, but am looking forward to signing up as a host when I return.