Bike on train Newport to Abergavenny

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
johnnyhamster

Bike on train Newport to Abergavenny

Post by johnnyhamster »

Hope to venture into mid-Wales next week , should there be any problem putting my bike on a train at Newport for Abergavenny ?
houndlegs

Re: Bike on train Newport to Abergavenny

Post by houndlegs »

I wouldnt imagine you'd have any problems, not sure if the Velothon race will cause any issues though. Depending on the bike, its a nice easy ride along the canal if you fancy it.
SiF

Post by SiF »

You can book to get one of the two dedicated bike spaces. Or just turn up but expect to keep it by the doors. The guards weren't too bothered about being in the way, and it is only 20 mins.
IanH

Post by IanH »

I travelled the route with my bike last year with no problem. It's advisable to book, and the staff are very helpful. I continued my journey through mid-Wales with a stop-off for the Royal Welsh Show and then on to Swansea; a fantastic train ride.
johnnyhamster

Post by johnnyhamster »

Thanks for the info - I have three days, no itinerary as yet apart from a visit to Dolgoch bunkhouse and Gospel Pass so any suggestions welcome. Is there a preferred direction to do Gospel Pass ? Also looking for a second nights accommodation around Hay, Builth or Brecon. B&B , pub or bunkhouse will do fine.
jk49

Post by jk49 »

Rode up from the Glasbury side a couple of years ago, towards the end of a reasonably long day. Don't know if I choose the correct route, but it was very steep in places! So... if you like a challenge, that could be the way over for you. Both sides are really scenic, so you maybe do it at the beginning of the day, rather than at the end. On the south side the climb is much more gradual. The pub in Llanthony abbey is worth a stop, not often you can sit in the ruins of a medieval abbey and enjoy a pint!