Roof carrier for a tandem.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thidwick

Roof carrier for a tandem.

Post by thidwick »

I bought a tandem!
Does anyone have experience of tandem carriers that fix to car roof bars?
I have roof bars, and a couple of Thule carriers where the bike stands upright on its wheels. I see that it is possible to buy similar (longer) ones for tandems. Does anyone have experience and advice on these? Best buys?
I can see one (maybe) problem in lifting the tandem onto the carrier: but I'm guessing there are likely to be two of us when this job is required.
gaz

Re: Roof carrier for a tandem.

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

Thanks for that Gaz. I like the ladder idea. I might think about that.
Still: I'd like some views and experience of carriers that are available.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I saw one a few years ago where the tandem was mounted (upright) and then lifted aloft as the mechanism 'folded' underneath, and the tandem ended up on the roof (again upright) - nice design, but I don't know who the manufacturer was (is?)
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

For many years we have used a "Merit" tandem rack. It was made in Sheffield, but out of production now .It is different to others in that it slides on the roof bars, to hang down the side of the car. The bottom tubes sits in a cradle and you only have to lift waist -high. It lays on the rack,is fastened round the rear seat pillar and head-set with screw hooks, then it simply lifts and slides back on the bars where it is fastened with 4 more screw hooks .To load or unload is no more than a few minutes and can be done by one person, although a second one to hold the steering straight makes it easier.
As the tandem travels flat to the car roof it is more stable than the upright racks, and off course a much lower overall height.

PM me if you want piccies. It is no longer used having given up tandeming this year due to illness so I'm open to offers for it.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Hello Thidwick,

I purchased a Pendle roof mounted tandem carrier a few years ago and fitted it to Thule non aero roofbars on my Zafira.

I fitted it parallel to a pretty massive Kemei Delphin roofbox.

It is still in use and has been perfectly reliable albeit a little expensive (esp now - £175!!) when you consider its constituent parts. The only real downside is getting the tandem on and off - I am about 5'10" and reasonably fit so I can haul my circa 25kg tandem up there myself (with well bent knees and a straight back!). There is a pretty good chance of scratching your car if you lose your grip a little - I have a good relationship with my motor and it doesn't mind if I dint it a little. It is obviously easier with 2 people although it can be done quite easily solo as long as you get the pedals in the correct configuration & have the lashing bits to hand.....there's nothing worse than struggling to get the bu$$er up there and once successful & holding it in position, realising the 'upright' securing is just out of reach! You'll understand what I mean if you ever purchase one.

It comes with plenty of webbing straps which initially I fully utilized.....the whole contraption with tandem swaying about didn't look to stable. However, with experience you realize the bike is pretty well secured by the 2 'uprights' and thus now I just lash the wheels & have one long lashing from the stoker bars to the other side of the roof bars (to minimize transverse sway).

So, that's my impression of the Pendle. Am I glad I bought it - yes. Would I buy it again - No, not for £175 - I think mine was about £120 and even that was a close thing. My longest drive with tandem aboard has only been about 3 hours thus I couldn't vouch for it on a long run.

I would attach a photo but I'm back at work now (on a ship off the Oz coast) hence I am not able, see what I can do in 3 months,

Hope that's some help, cheers, Simon
RickH

Post by RickH »

One trick I've heard of folk using (but not used myself) is to use a length of something like guttering to make a ramp up to the rack so the tandem can be rolled up to the roof rather than lifted.

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

I've got a Pendle one in my garage doing nothing if your interested (wilts).
RickH

Post by RickH »

I noticed this evening that SJS have the Raleigh/ Avenir tandem carrier in stock for £69.99 at the moment. A guy on the "I love my Circe" Facebook group has one for their Helios.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

RickH wrote:I noticed this evening that SJS have the Raleigh/ Avenir tandem carrier in stock for £69.99 at the moment. A guy on the "I love my Circe" Facebook group has one for their Helios.

Rick.

Yes, I looked at SJS too. The avenir doesn't have such good reviews as the Pendle, but I wonder about the £100 price difference. Thinking......
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

The reason I came up with the ladder system was how hard it was to get the Tandem on to the car roof, without falling of step ladders (yet another thing to keep in the car).
The idea was inspired by the roof rack system used on some vans with the rear roller.

To get a lifting system was out of my price range at the time.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Vjock

Post by Vjock »

See
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54363&start=15

Also pendle tandem carrier
Also alrera used to do a hydraulic lift which I have and is excellent.
Also try the tandem club website forum and for sale section.
Vjock

Post by Vjock »

Also Helton tandem carrier and
http://www.sidco.co.uk/projects/tandem-bike-rack-shop
Also contact tandem shops