Breaking in a Brooks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikeDee

Breaking in a Brooks

Post by MikeDee »

I've got a B17N saddle that I've put about 300 miles on. I Proofhided it once. It has a flat profile when viewed from the side, and it hurts in the perineum. I need a dip in the middle. I had it level and tilted it down a degree, but that didn't help much. The tension bolt is also as loose as it can be. Any thoughts about how to get this saddle comfortable or should I move on to something else?
yakdiver

Re: Breaking in a Brooks

Post by yakdiver »

I rode 27,000 miles on one and it still wasn't comfortable so GOOD LUCK
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

I rolled mine ( a Spa copy) with a rolling pin to get it started, I'd have thought 500 miles should do it!
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

fast but dim wrote:I rolled mine ( a Spa copy) with a rolling pin to get it started, I'd have thought 500 miles should do it!

I might try that! I'm riding a Selle An-Atomica NSX now, but I like the rear width, looks, and construction of the Brooks B17N better (although not the rivets). I was thinking about trying a B17N Imperial, but am wondering if that would solve the issue and if the edges of the cutout would dig in. Buying and trying different saddles is expensive.
mjr

Post by mjr »

My Flyer has a flat profile when viewed but does give a bit when pushed. Applied Proofide to top and bottom and rode about a hundred miles to break in.

Even so, I do prefer my Selle Royal cheap gels... my bum has no taste!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

I ride a few saddles, but my Spa cycles nidd takes comfort to a new level. Good enough to ride sans padded shorts.
iow

Post by iow »

it may sound counter intuitive, but have you tried tilting the saddle up a couple of degrees? it helps to ensure you are sitting well back on the (slippery, new) saddle with your sit bones over the wide part of the saddle, consequently helping to relieve weight on the perineum.
mark
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

yakdiver wrote:I rode 27,000 miles on one and it still wasn't comfortable so GOOD LUCK

There's a really obvious question forming in my mind :lol:
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

You could try a cut out in the saddle in conjunction with the nose up trick.
I had not heard of the latter and while understand it I dont understand how it would work to use the drops.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

This is why I ended up on a Selle SMP. Still sat on the jewels even on that, but its tolerable.

I wouldn't get a Brooks with a split down it, from the stuff I have read about them.

I had a colt with big copper rivets digging in, so I filed them down, but I was still sat on the rivets.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I have Brooks Imperials (ones with a cut-out) on 2 bikes and I find them a lot better than the B17 ordinary at relieving numb crown jewels. I find it works best if I ride in a thin pair of 'technical' boxer shorts under an ordinary pair of shorts.

I find the ordinary B17 fine and comfortable (have one on my Brompton) but I get numb within 5 miles.

Saddles are (like shoes I think) very individual things
mjr

Post by mjr »

Manc33 wrote:This is why I ended up on a Selle SMP. Still sat on the jewels even on that, but its tolerable.

Sorry if this is a daft question but are you wearing padded shorts and if so, is the pad the right shape/size for your bits or is it pushing them into harm's way? Also, have you tried unpadded or thin pads because Brooks is from an earlier era?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

iow wrote:it may sound counter intuitive, but have you tried tilting the saddle up a couple of degrees? it helps to ensure you are sitting well back on the (slippery, new) saddle with your sit bones over the wide part of the saddle, consequently helping to relieve weight on the perineum.

I tried with the saddle level, which looks slightly nose up, and with the nose level. I was not sliding forward on the saddle though.
pickerd1

Post by pickerd1 »

I've had a Brooks B17 from nearly new for a few months now. To start with it was quite uncomfortable to the point where I wished I hadn't bought it. I was also slipping all over the place on it.

I did tilt it backwards to stop myself slipping forwards, which was a bit strange to begin with but is now a good realxed riding position for me.
I also used quite a lot of proofide on it over the first few weeks. I coated it liberally underneath and on top, leaving it to soak between rides.
I have now ridden it for about 2 months, probably over 500 miles and it is pretty good. I do get sore skin every now and then, but I am pretty sure this is down to the shorts chaffing and not the saddle.
I have very recently tightened the tension bolt a little as I thought the saddle was sagging a bit.

Hope this helps

I like my Brooks so much I am thinking another. Might try a Spa own brand as they seem to get good reviews.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

MikeDee wrote:I've got a B17N saddle that I've put about 300 miles on. I Proofhided it once. It has a flat profile when viewed from the side, and it hurts in the perineum. I need a dip in the middle. I had it level and tilted it down a degree, but that didn't help much. The tension bolt is also as loose as it can be. Any thoughts about how to get this saddle comfortable or should I move on to something else?

counter intuative to what you think for your problem, but the brooks should be nose upto stop pressure on the perineum.
NUKe