How to make a cyclist sandwich - video content -

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sore thumb

How to make a cyclist sandwich - video content -

Post by sore thumb »

First get a cyclist, then a nice healthy green bush. Then get a blue van.

You then need to add a little terror to the cyclist and followed by a bit of I would like to live till tomorrow.

Once you mix all of that, you then make the sandwich by squeezing the cyclist into a space that is almost physically impossible to fit.

And there you have it

The Perfect cyclist sandwich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF8tmpxva1s
LollyKat

Re: How to make a cyclist sandwich - video content -

Post by LollyKat »

:shock:

I hope you will report that to the police - the registration is readable on the video.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

A lesson in how to kill someone.
I should coco.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm going to make a comment - not a criticism...

I would suggest riding a bit further out - particularly approaching the bend. That driver should be stripped of their license, it is certainly worth reporting, but I'd not be all that surprised if nothing came of it.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Bloody scary, but, got to agree, ride further out. A perfect example of how you prevent a moron like that risking your life
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I couldn't judge from the video how far out the cyclist had been before the overtake started. TBH, I doubt it would have made any difference, that van had a 'coming ready or not' approach to driving.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
My Braun doesn't even shave that close!
Get that reported asap!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Velo

Post by Velo »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Bloody scary, but, got to agree, ride further out. A perfect example of how you prevent a moron like that risking your life

I think if he had been another 20cm further out he could have been hit.

Please report that to Staffs Police.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Woah that was certainly a mightily close pass! :shock: Very lucky not to have been hit.

Report it!!!!! Then in future ride in a position further out to prevent muppets thinking they can squeeze past.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Velo wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:Bloody scary, but, got to agree, ride further out. A perfect example of how you prevent a moron like that risking your life

I think if he had been another 20cm further out he could have been hit.

Yes, but drivers who ram cyclists from behind are infinitely rarer than those who will pass if there is a gap marginally wider than their vehicle, sometimes under the illusion that there isn't anything wrong with doing so. We cannot protect ourselves from murderous intent of mad men but we can reduce opportunities for unintended killings caused by the impatient, inconsiderate and incompetent.

Normally, I'd not bother about reporting close passes as little seems to be done, but that pass was exceptionally dangerous - a pass simply couldn't be any closer without becoming a collision :o
I agree with others that it should be reported. I challenge any police not to see it as dangerous driving.
Velo

Post by Velo »

@Bicycler

I can empathize with that viewpoint as it's one that I have employed for many years to make me feel that I can influence other road users and thereby reduce the danger that I encounter on rural A and B roads (NSL 60mph). In all honesty, I think it reduces the number of close passes I receive, but increases the chances of being hit from behind.
Last edited by Velo on 26 Jun 2015, 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

That video conjures up (if that's the right expression!) just one image for me. That scene in the Harry Potter films, where the (magical) double-decker bus squeezes into a 6-inch gap between two (ordinary, solid) double-deck buses. After that encounter, I'm wondering whether you have any (a) handlebar (b) pedals left on your bike!

Yep, that needs to be shown to the police.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).