Skye to Oban Route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
juice

Skye to Oban Route

Post by juice »

I'm heading from Oban to ride up the Outer Hebrides which I've done before. I'm looking to maybe cross to Skye then ride back to Oban on the mainland. One option would be from the Kylerhea ferry on the CNN 79 anyone know what it's like it looks broken on the map. Any other suggestions welcome also recommendations for hostals.
Thanks
Elizabeth_S

Re: Skye to Oban Route

Post by Elizabeth_S »

You mean the Glenelg ferry, it's running, does a good business in sea eagle spotting I believe.
http://skyeferry.co.uk/
juice

Post by juice »

Thanks Elizabeth that's the one. First time I used it there was a piper playing on board. :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I had a one night stop-over at Saucy Mary's about 5 years back.
http://www.saucymarys.com/

Close to the Skye bridge.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

What I did was Barra to Tarbert, ferry to Uig (Skye) , ride to the south end of Skye, ferry to Mallaig, ride round to Ardnamurchan, ferry to Tobermory, explore Mull, then ferry back to Oban. Hopscotch 23 and 21.
The trouble with both the Skye bridge and the Kylerhea ferry is that it commits you to a long main road ride via Invergarry and Fort William.
Aunty Social

Post by Aunty Social »

The Glenelg route means doing the Mam Ratagan Pass first then the pass between Kylerhea and Broadford. Two of my favourite hills. Enjoy them!
robing

Post by robing »

andrew_s wrote:What I did was Barra to Tarbert, ferry to Uig (Skye) , ride to the south end of Skye, ferry to Mallaig, ride round to Ardnamurchan, ferry to Tobermory, explore Mull, then ferry back to Oban. Hopscotch 23 and 21.
The trouble with both the Skye bridge and the Kylerhea ferry is that it commits you to a long main road ride via Invergarry and Fort William.

I'd like to do that. I've done the Oban to BroadFord section as part of Dover to Cape Wrath, but then went back across the Skye bridge.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

The Glenelg ferry is wonderful, and worth all the sweat of the huge climbs to reach it. It is possibly the only manually operated turntable ferry in the world, certainly in this country. As the boat crosses the operators nonchantly wander around the outside of the small car deck and wind it round so that the vehicles can drive off without reversing.

Kyle Rhea is the narrowest point between the mainland and Skye, and the tidal conditions caused by the narrowing bring hordes of fish and consequently seals and otters here. It is worth staying in Glenelg and taking the dead end lane to Corran, ten miles of wonderful cycling below 3,000 foot scree slopes, and spend some time wandering in this wilderness.

If I had a choice, I would cycle from Skye to the mainland using this route rather than the other way. Mam Ratagan is hideously steep if heading towards Skye, while coming the other direction the gradient is a bit easier. The same is probably true on the Skye side, though the difference isn't so notable.

Go and enjoy. There aren't many places that surpass this for cycling in this country.
irc

Post by irc »

There is a roughstuff route from Corran to Kinlochourn as an alt to Mam Ratagan Pass and the A87 Glen Cluanie Rd. Only 7.5 miles of off road. How hard can it be!! Looks to have a far amount of rideable stuff in this crazyguy account.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 29614&v=37
juice

Post by juice »

irc wrote:There is a roughstuff route from Corran to Kinlochourn as an alt to Mam Ratagan Pass and the A87 Glen Cluanie Rd. Only 7.5 miles of off road. How hard can it be!! Looks to have a far amount of rideable stuff in this crazyguy account.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 29614&v=37

That's exactly what I was looking at. It's about 8 miles with a couple on decent tracks, we will be on tourers not mountain bike but I'm well up for it if it's doable.

Thanks all for the replies.
juice

Post by juice »

I've just read that there used to be a chap called Billy the Boatman that would take you from Corren to Kinlock Hourn, but he might have packed up. Anyone know anything?
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Arnisdale to Kinloch Hourn ferry ceased running about 4 years ago.

There is quite a steep climb with some loose material underfoot if you go from Corran to Arnisdale by bicycle, so you will probably walk a bit, and it will be a tough push if you have heavy luggage. But if Norman Hodghton (octogenarian editor of the Rough Stuff Journal) can do it (and it wasn't many years ago that he did, and he was never a strong/hard rider), most people can. http://www.bikeroutes.org.uk/trips/trip12.htm
juice

Post by juice »

iviehoff wrote:Arnisdale to Kinloch Hourn ferry ceased running about 4 years ago.

There is quite a steep climb with some loose material underfoot if you go from Corran to Arnisdale by bicycle, so you will probably walk a bit, and it will be a tough push if you have heavy luggage. But if Norman Hodghton (octogenarian editor of the Rough Stuff Journal) can do it (and it wasn't many years ago that he did, and he was never a strong/hard rider), most people can. http://www.bikeroutes.org.uk/trips/trip12.htm

Thanks for the link. My mate is 72, plus we will be on road bikes. The BandB owner in Kinloch Hourn has told me that they get the occasional cyclist through on mountain bikes, but the good news is I've tracked down the new boatman. I'm speaking to him tonight, if all goes well and he wants me to I'll post his details on here, in he mean time if anyone wants them PM me.
juice

Post by juice »

Thanks all. Completed the Oban loop. Day one to Barra on the ferry. Day two via a ferry to S Uist and on to Benbeccula to a great hostel at Nunton House. 40 fabulous miles. Day three on to N Uist and over to Skye, stayed in Portree. Day four over Skye to the Glenelg ferry, stayed in Glenelg. Day four Glenelg to Fort William a long day incl a boat along Loch Hourn courtesy of Peter the new boatman. Day five, Fort William back to Oban, mostly on off road cycle tracks.
A great ride. Six ferries, 250 miles, plus a ride in a small boat.
irc

Post by irc »

Any contact details for the new ferryman? Prices?