Marks and Spencer cycling chinos

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
ferdinand

Re: Marks and Spencer cycling chinos

Post by ferdinand »

RickH wrote:I've had mine for a year or so & am still happy with them. They are comfortable trousers that I wear sometimes even when I'm not going cycling. They work well on the bike too. The bit of stretch means they don't feel tight. The hem poppers work to keep trouser bottoms & chain apart. The D ring & zipped pocket don't seem very useful to me but they may work for others. I can't comment on how effective the reflective bits are as I am always in them when they might be doing anything. They will shrug off a light shower but don't expect them to keep off much more than that.

Rick.

Your presence to reply indicates that you have not been run over in the meantime :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comment.

F
drossall

Post by drossall »

Happy with mine. I haven't worn them very often, and mostly when I had a meeting across town rather than for a long ride, but they are fine. I too sometimes wear them when I'm not riding, just as a pair of comfortable trousers.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Heads up on these...in sale and down to £18. Lots of sizes left.

I bought a pair earlier this week and think they are great for £18. They have reflective strips on back pocket and bottom of trouser leg. Both can be hidden if you just want to wear as a 'regular' trouser.
Comfy and smart. And a push stud on hems to keep them getting oily.
Only minor gripe is the little security pocket on right and hip, has such a tiny opening , you can only get 2 digits in there and I fear I will one day rip them when retrieving coins.
Si

Post by Si »

How is the length with them - do you need to go one size longer for bike use?
drossall

Post by drossall »

Thanks, I've ordered some.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Si wrote:How is the length with them - do you need to go one size longer for bike use?

The turn up will take 1" off the length. I bought the 31" inside leg and they are a touch longer than I would wear them off a bike when down; but on bike they are fine.
Although I might have been better going for 29" as that would be perfect off the bike and then it wouldn't bother me if they came up short when turned up on the bike.
Hope this makes sense?
Si

Post by Si »

thanks!
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Sooper8 wrote:Heads up on these...in sale and down to £18. Lots of sizes left.

I bought a pair earlier this week and think they are great for £18. They have reflective strips on back pocket and bottom of trouser leg. Both can be hidden if you just want to wear as a 'regular' trouser.
Comfy and smart. And a push stud on hems to keep them getting oily.
Only minor gripe is the little security pocket on right and hip, has such a tiny opening , you can only get 2 digits in there and I fear I will one day rip them when retrieving coins.

Will stock up on these. Bought one pair for trial at £38 the other week and they are great.

They suffer slightly from the "complimentary sizing" problem, in that I ordered 2 sizes on click and collect and found that the ones that fitted were claimed to be 3" smaller than my waist measured 30 seconds before I put them on.

In my usual style where cycling racks are not available I took the bike into the shop, and was firmly informed after some time that I was a H&S Hazard. Class 3 grannie scooters are allowed in because they "can't keep them out". A good deal more polite than Tesco though, while ALDI and Wickes don't turn a hair.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ferdinand
honesty

Post by honesty »

Been meaning to get another pair of these. Thanks for the heads up!
mjr

Post by mjr »

ferdinand wrote:They suffer slightly from the "complimentary sizing" problem, in that I ordered 2 sizes on click and collect and found that the ones that fitted were claimed to be 3" smaller than my waist measured 30 seconds before I put them on.

Maybe that's why the ones I've tried which claimed to be (and seemed to be) my waist size were a bit short in the undercarriage IYSWIM. Seem OK otherwise.

In my usual style where cycling racks are not available I took the bike into the shop, and was firmly informed after some time that I was a H&S Hazard. …

If it's a town centre one, ask the borough/district/city council or the town centre manager for a cycle park. If it's a retail park one, ask the management company, but you probably won't get anything until they put in for planning permission to change one of the stores and then you can object. Local cycle campaigners on www.cyclescape.org might already be doing this.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

TonyR wrote:33" maximum inside leg. Why do Marks think all cyclists are short? They do 35" & 37" inside legs in other trousers.

Short? The shortest they do is 29" inside leg, that would be over my ankle and halfway down my foot. And there are people shorter than me. 37" would nearly go from my ankle to my armpit. :mrgreen:

What they are doing is a limited number of sizes, closest to average. Cheaper and more profitable for them than offering a decent range. Us shorties are no better catered for than you lucky tall people. :(
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks honesty for the original post on these and sooper for the heads up on the sale.

I now have five pairs though the 36W ones may be going back.

I got the last 2 this morning as the price had fallen lower.

They must surely be discontinuing them?

Which would be a pity.

The stretchy waist ("active" as they call it) is really nice and the popper leg fastening is also great.

Really comfortable to ride in - wore them to town the other evening so in those and my Aldi outdoor shirt (£7 from Man at Aldi) I looked rather less like an oddball cycling slob than normal.

Thanks again
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Dropped in price again? I picked up 2 last week, may have to pick up some more if thats the case!

I hope they are being replaced rather than discontinued fully. I find them very comfortable to work in.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Just stocked up with 4 more pairs of these at £12.99 each from the M&S website.

Limited sizes and colours, but if they fit...

Ferdinand
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I managed to buy 2 pairs , they still have the larger sizes 32 in some lengths 34, and 36 upwards.
fantastic trouser in there own right, would be ideal for commuting when you either can't or don't want to change . Only gripe is the press studs onthe bottoms dont seem to narrow the hem by much , that said it is probably enough to keep it out of the chain

Hope the fact they are selling them off is an end of season thing and notan end of line
NUKe