Front Racks

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
don1

Front Racks

Post by don1 »

I'm looking for a front rack. I've never had a front before, but my upcoming camping trip will necessitate a front rack with me taking more kit.

Is there a downside to those front racks that come in 2 pieces, without the 'bridge' over the wheel ?
bikepacker

Re: Front Racks

Post by bikepacker »

I have used Tubus Duo for about the last 10 years and never had a problem. Saying that I used Blackburn previously and never had a problem with them either.

One key is to fit them securely. A front rack coming loose is no joke, especially if you are careering down hill at the time. And I have witnessed just that.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The Duo is a three point fixing rack, that is 3 point per fork leg, if fitted correctly its bombproof but you must have the double fork mount to use it, TBH I wouldn't use any other rack of this type. If you don't have that option a two point per fork leg rack is your only option, these should always either have or be used with the over wheel brace, the potential for a 2 point rack to twist is huge.

So your first question really is 'what fixing options do I have with my fork?'
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
don1

Post by don1 »

These are my forks. Genesis Croix de Fer 2015.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434561113.216667.jpg
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

On the Duo the top brackets either side of the fork are best fitted with one long pin and a locking nut on the end. This was Orbits recommendation when they were the importers and not with a pin either side as Tubus instructions. http://www.tubus.com/documents/1321271426_Duo.pdf
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

don1 wrote:These are my forks. Genesis Croix de Fer 2015.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434561113.216667.jpg

ok you need a two point rack with over wheel brace eg Tubus Ergo or Tortec Expedition :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
don1

Post by don1 »

Thanks. I'll look closer at the Tortec; the Tubus racks are just outside of what I wanted to spend.
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

If you're still looking, I'm currently selling a Tubus Tara at a lot less than I paid for it and lower than anywhere else I have seen on the net.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=98094&p=912107#p912107
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes