track from Tomintoul

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
loafer

track from Tomintoul

Post by loafer »

hi guys
day 5 of our joggle is from Tomintoul-Blairgowrie and we noticed this track that takes you down to Braemar any one know if its ride able the whole way

http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/45112680/

larry
birkhead

Re: track from Tomintoul

Post by birkhead »

I have cycled this route but a long time ago.
The north part is from Tomintoul to Inchrory, a shooting lodge, and IIRC it is bitmac all or most of the way, and is a really lovely route along the river Avon [pr A'an].
South of Incrory to Loch Builg you have estate road of fair standard, but dust surface. Past Loch Builg, I recall it was very rough and stoney and more of a rough walkers path, my kids loved it. South of Loch Builg and you get back onto estate roads of a fair surface manageable on touring tyres, with a couple of fords over burns [again...fun]that were not difficult, albeit depending on recent weather, before rejoining the public road.
A fine route for a mountain bike, possible on touring bike with a bit of pushing past Loch Builg.
But you miss out on the classic climbs over the Lecht :cry: :cry: :cry:
And you dont get to see the historic Gairnshiel bridge and have a dip in the burn beneath :cry: :cry: :cry:
loafer

Post by loafer »

But you miss out on the classic climbs over the Lecht :cry: :cry: :cry:
And you dont get to see the historic Gairnshiel bridge and have a dip in the burn beneath :cry: :cry: :cry:

HI birkhead
thanks for the info.. :D also get your point we will save that track for an other trip :wink:
JohnWL

Post by JohnWL »

I've walked it whole and in parts at various times of the year and also - as far as Ben Avon - cycled it so I could climb without the foot slog.

I also - with estate permission - have driven the land rover tracks. If any chance of poor weather avoid unless well equipped. You need a good mountain bike. if in the shooting season check with Tomintoul tourist info that they are not shooting in the upland part ( the good track to Inchory being no problem .)

I agree with all Birkhead says. Especially re the pronounciation of A'an !

It's a great route and having not done it whole for 20 years this thread has made me determined to do it this summer !

Some scary pics if you search 'net of the paths in the snow .

If you can do it , do.

Good luck.

John
puffin

Post by puffin »

So, in a nutshell, is it rideable on 32 road marathon plus tyres?