Pictures of your recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Mick Metcalfe

Re: Pictures of your recumbent

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Finally got my trike! Ive always been a runner and never really got the cycling bug as was fed up getting a sore buttock everytime I tried! Well, completely bypassed the sore buttock thing with my new ICE Trike Adventure. Did my first bike ride to a local Ridewise event in Nottingham which was approx 15 mile round trip. I suffer from a prolapsed disc in my L5S1 area, I find this position my "comfy" position as it offers the least pain. I thought the 15 miles would be very difficult last Sunday, but was suprised at how easy the Rohloff gears felt. I felt that I needed a few extra gears whilst going down hill, but really, I was glad to just roll tbh, as it felt like a nice break with a cool breeze too! Hehe.

Got a few extra ive fitted since the photo was taken. Added some Ortlieb panniers and a few extra water bottle cages readr for some longer rides. :)

As I say, I'm new to cycling but, I hope to share in a few adventures when they arise. Been house bound for a few years, so no transcontinental expeds yet. Hehe. :D

[/b]
11750729_790367114409443_6473871691070544414_n.jpg
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Mick Metcalfe wrote:Finally got my trike! ......

Welcome to the cycling world, Mick...and especially to the "comfy" experience of rcumbent riding. Of course, this doesn't mean it's easy, because it's down to the individual how much effort/how long etc he/she puts in. But gone are the stiff neck, and the aching wrists, and the sore bum. Glad your first experience was a good 'un.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick Metcalfe wrote: I felt that I needed a few extra gears whilst going down hill

I went to the expense of a "Schlumpf Drive" on my Gekko

You simply kick the button with your heel to engage the drive and repeat with the other heel to disengage

The big advantage is that with a single chain ring you don't need to worry about tensioners and can keep the classic chain line you already have with the Rohloff

I lowered the front ring to a 34 and fitted a High Speed Drive which effectively gives me an 85t on the front when engaged

The trick with these is to work out where most of your riding is and set it up so that this is in the 1:1 ratio

A large front ring with the Mountain Drive reduction, will give exactly the same gear range as a small front ring and the Speed Drive increase... all that changes is where the 1:1 ratio is positioned
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

@Geoff.D
Thanks Geoff. :) Sometimes comfot prevails. In this case comfort allows something, where speedy spandex and kissing my knees would have achieved nothing, except maybe A&E, hehe.

Hoping to meet some cyclists around Nottingham too, as im now a paid CTC member loking to take advantage of the YHA benefits and maybe do a holiday or two. :)

Mick
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

@Cunobelin,

Wow just watched a video of this, as I was struggling with all the tech speak, hehe, ill get the hang of it soon. :)

Looks like a great idea to get fitted, as it would produce a very high speed decent indeed! At present though, im gonna stick with the single upfront, before any more splashing of funds. My bank needs a well earned break! It'll also give me time to get a bit fitter and understand my real needs, as opposed to filling in where my fitness lacks, as this will improve lots! Im probably at my most unfit state at present, so im sure ill be ok in the short term. My hill climbing is ok, but not really tackled really big ascents just yet, not sure if I climb in my highest or lowest gear, but it turns over really well without much effort. I did notice that my toes were going a bit numb, so may need to address that, unless its a common issue with having your feet so high in relation to your body?

Great idea for the front crank though mate. Thanks! :D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick Metcalfe wrote:@Cunobelin,

Wow just watched a video of this, as I was struggling with all the tech speak, hehe, ill get the hang of it soon. :)

Looks like a great idea to get fitted, as it would produce a very high speed decent indeed! At present though, im gonna stick with the single upfront, before any more splashing of funds. My bank needs a well earned break! It'll also give me time to get a bit fitter and understand my real needs, as opposed to filling in where my fitness lacks, as this will improve lots! Im probably at my most unfit state at present, so im sure ill be ok in the short term. My hill climbing is ok, but not really tackled really big ascents just yet, not sure if I climb in my highest or lowest gear, but it turns over really well without much effort. I did notice that my toes were going a bit numb, so may need to address that, unless its a common issue with having your feet so high in relation to your body?

Great idea for the front crank though mate. Thanks! :D

What pedals do you have

I found that the "Small pedals" like these caused me problems

I then changed to a wider base pedal

This was far more comfortable and IMHO spreading the weight stopped the "hot spot"
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Yeah I got the small version, as my shoes are stiff and I thought that my trike would be harder to steal with tiny pedals. Hehe. Would moving the cleat back or forward help any? Its not a hot spot, like a blister, just the feeling that not enough blood is circulating to my toes. I could be a weak blood motor! :lol:
I used to get the same feeling when I used a cross trainer, as my feet would be flat against the pedal for an hour at a time. Perhaps pulling on the pedals would let blood flow better?

Will take this topic onto main board, as its derailing the photos slightly. :P
SparkleRadish

Post by SparkleRadish »

UpWrong wrote:RANS Stratus XP
riding the RANS.JPG

Where did you get the Stratus? In the UK? Been looking for one of these but so far no luck finding a retailer in UK...
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I imported the frameset from the USA. RANS bikes now have a new owner but still no European dealers.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Just picked this up today. :D
Looking forward to learning how to ride it now. :lol:

hercule

Post by hercule »

Looks very nice!

Back in the 90s I seriously thought about getting a Peer Gynt, not unlike your Ryan. Unfortunately "common sense" won out on that occasion, though I'm happy to say it subsequently failed me!
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Your Ryan looks to be in great condition. Let us know how you get on with it. Start a new thread. The USS makes sense on a LWB but does it take getting used to?
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Thanks guys.
I have a Catrike already so USS is what I associate with recumbents. The two wheels thing is what will take the most to get used to I think! :lol:
I will start a thread for it. There are a couple of things I want to do to it just to tidy things up a bit so I can cover them in there.
Indeboat

Post by Indeboat »

Hello All
Thought it was about time i posted a picture of my Raptobike,i have done about 200 miles on it now,getting better but slow speed tight turns are very hit or miss.
Starting off up hill and turning :( .
I think it's a mind thing at the moment,always aware of the limited lock due to chain rub,but i am getting better,when i first started riding it would only go in a straight line :?
Looking forward to fitting clipless pedals soon,as unseen potholes can cause feet to go in all directions, it's ok when i see them coming as i put pressure on both feet with the pedals at 12 and 6 o'clock
Very happy with the ride and when cruiseing is very comfy.Fast turns are really good :)
Hope to take it to Cambridgeshire on Sunday for a long flat ride with Will and Co :D
Need to sort out some means of carrying more gear now.

Last edited by Indeboat on 14 Aug 2015, 4:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
hercule

Post by hercule »

What are you using for your computer mount? I struggle with one mounted on the handlebars of my Fuego, it's too close to focus comfortably. At present I've got a Cateye mounted just behind the steerer, that causes some consternation in onlookers as I have to lift the bars to look at it... Not what you'd want to do at 30mph downhill!