Best Tyre Levers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
greyingbeard

Re: Best Tyre Levers

Post by greyingbeard »

the lezzys appear to have a built in bottle opener, at least one can enjoy the wait for a lift home if they dont work
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezy ... lsrc=aw.ds
don1

Post by don1 »

pete75 wrote:Decathlon's own brand do a good job and seem to last. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/tyre-lever-s ... 47839.html . Things were different years ago - at one time people just used the handle of a spoon or fork.

Another vote here for the decathlon ones.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

For years I used Park ones exclusively as they did all that was needed... and then I came upon the Horrors that were 406 Conti Contacts on the rims used for Moulton TSRs. Bent the Parks, bust stouter Bontragers and plastic-covered steel ones from SJS, and finally found the Lezyne ones that seemed to be up to the task.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:Decathlon's own brand do a good job and seem to last. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/tyre-lever-s ... 47839.html . Things were different years ago - at one time people just used the handle of a spoon or fork.

Then they got told off by their mum for bending the cutlery!
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:Things were different years ago - at one time people just used the handle of a spoon or fork.

Then they got told off by their mum for bending the cutlery!

No but I've got spoons that are the wrong shape as a result of discovering protected tyres are tougher! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

sure it isn't just budget price cutlery?

I think I may have subconsciously chosen my cutlery with possible tyre lever usage in mind... :oops: :shock:

I am pretty sure it works better than most tyre levers do.... :lol:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

If you're on the road and find that you've forgotten or lost your lever(s), I find that a quick-release handle will just about work.
Chris F, Cornwall
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

Avoid Halfords steel tyre levers - they tear up your rims.

The blue Park Tool ones are good.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I've been impressed with the usability of the tyre levers in my new multitool.

http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/minitools/BTL-42XXL
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Crank Brothers Speedlever.

I discovered the Speedlever years ago, when it succeeded on the most difficult tyre/rim combinations where conventional levers failed. I've not used a standard lever since: they're at best tedious by comparison. I can get most tyres off by hand but the Speedlever makes short work of any that I can't.

Buy a Speedlever and don't look back.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've been using a set of Schwalbe levers for several years (probably 5+) without any problems or breakages, even when fitting/removing Marathons. They're only about £3-5 for a set of 3.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The green ones stuck to the cover of C+ are good. I like the old Milk levers. About an inch wide.
PH

Post by PH »

stewartpratt wrote:Buy a Speedlever and don't look back.

If you can find one, I think they stopped making them a couple of years ago.

I'm surprised the Topeak Shuttle Tyre Levers haven't had a mentions, I don't have them but have heard such good things that they'll be on the shopping list soon
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... lsrc=aw.ds
gaz

Post by gaz »

Specialized "Pry Babies" have been my main weapon of choice since sometime in the '90's. More recently I came across the identical, Ekip. Very useful for making up free postage on smaller purchases and equally effective.

I have a VAR in the saddlebag and Simson Tyre Mate in the garage for stubborn cases.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

stewart pratt wrote
Crank Brothers Speedlever.

I discovered the Speedlever years ago, when it succeeded on the most difficult tyre/rim combinations where conventional levers failed. I've not used a standard lever since: they're at best tedious by comparison. I can get most tyres off by hand but the Speedlever makes short work of any that I can't.

Buy a Speedlever and don't look back.

I was very impressed with mine until the day the end broke off! I'd been sufficiently impressed up until then to look for a replacement but couldn't find one.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.