Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Jembe Seat

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
cjs

Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Jembe Seat

Post by cjs »

Any one used one of these in earnest, by this I mean more than occasional weekend use?
Kind Regards
Chris...
andrew_s

Re: Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Jembe Seat

Post by andrew_s »

When considering weights & costs, don't forget to allow for the extra for rectangular mats over the body-shaped mats
cjs

Post by cjs »

Thanks Andrew, but it is just the functionality of the seat option I'm interested in.

I gave up worrying about weight years ago, my mat is a camper XL because I'm 6'4" and 110KG....! and love granny gears... me I'm a 5 pannier long distance comfort camper :)

My old EXPED 7UL tube seams didn't last more than 60 nights (a very common problem) so I'm now with Therm-a-rest BUT how will this seat affect things, that's the question....
Kind Regards
Chris...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Based on my experience of other TAR lightweight seat kits I'd avoid. I gotone of the2nd or 3rd generation seat kits with improvements over the original. It has light but strong rods and pockets to accept TAR mats. Then you sit in it and the right angled seat supports your back. Only thing they never qualified it with a max user height only weight. First use i leant back like my short friend, very gently because I didn't trust it, and I heard a ripping noise. Seems at 6'5" tall the levers on the fabric were too great causing it to completely rip and no longer form the necessary right angle to sit in.

This is more basic but I just do not trust TAR seats of any kind since shelling out so much for that stupid seat.

BTW I think ELinox do a really light seat that lifts you off the ground and is supposed to be comfortable too. Tried one and it seems good. TAR have also brought out something similar but a bit over engineered/designed. I picked it up out of the same bin as the elinox seat (both together to compare weight. I can tell you the TAR one is 3 times heavier I think. If you really want a sea then IMHO take a weight hit and go for the elinox (IIRC it is that name, something similar if not and widely available these days).
cjs

Post by cjs »

Cheers TM for responding....

Yes I agree I would not be a fan of the chair kits, the one with backs and webbing, to me they seem to make a mess of the mat too much.... I have a walkstool at the right height for me ( they come in a multitude of sizes) but to be honest, its a pain on soft ground and in Scotland, Ireland & the rest of the UK when you wildcamp, the ground is mainly soft. I think at my weight and camp topography most stools would be a sinking pain.

The design of the TAR JEMBE seems simple, will be good on soft ground and appears to be a simple matter of rolling up your inflated mat. Seat height will be good and 3 and a half ounces seems OK - maybe a bit pricey at around £20 here though...

So, has any one used one especially if that happens to be long term...?
Kind Regards
Chris...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I wish Thermarest would make a 3/4 mat that was 6+" thick as I am also a comfort camper but only need the depth from back side to shoulders. At the moment cant find a realiable mat that is really thick to these requirements
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

cjs wrote:appears to be a simple matter of rolling up your inflated mat.
You'll probably have to let a reasonable amount of air out to get it rolled (based on putting a Neoair into a chair kit).

Alternatives to a walkstool that you may like to look at are the Alite Mayfly and the Helinox Ground Chair, neither of which will sink into the ground, and both of which are low enough to be used inside many tents (for the avoidance of rain or midges). Quite a lot heavier and more expensive than the Jembe, but more comparable to the Walkstool.

I expect the lack of replies means that nobody here uses one.
I did point them out a couple of years ago, but there was no comment other than a suggestion to use a suitable stuff sack instead
cjs

Post by cjs »

andrew_s wrote:...

Thank you Andrew, the knees are done (not because of cycling) so getting up from the comfy looking low chairs would be difficult.... I would have to roll out of them LOL but getting in would be even funnier, one knee just completely gives way at any angle below 90 degrees... being that I mostly wild camp this makes some activities needing a lot of thought... Ha....

Yup, looks like no ones uses them, drew a blank on CGOAB too... so back to the tall WalkStool I have- ordered a 'steady' webbing attachment that supposedly stops it sinking in soft ground. I'll find out if that's true next week, commencing a run around the inner / outer Hebrides, Ireland & a meander around Europe. Looks like it's been raining in the Hebrides for months, as usual... so I sure it be soft in places... :)
Kind Regards
Chris...
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Would a small groundsheet stop the stool sinking into the ground? I always tend to carry one to use in the porch of my tent and also to use under my chair kit when sitting outside. Just come back from a week on the Scottish Isles and yes the ground is very wet!
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've got a Pump Sack which, as well as being useful to pump up the mat for minimal effort, doubles as a seat by putting a partly inflated rolled up NeoAir inside. I tend to store the NeoAir in the sack too, with just a little air in, when it isn't going to be used for some time. It is also 10g lighter than the Jembe Seat (95g v 105g) if that is of any consideration.

Just insert a rolled NeoAir mattress and inflate for lightweight campsite seating. (from the above link - quoting Therm-a-rest)

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.