How much do you take on tour ?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
don1

How much do you take on tour ?

Post by don1 »

Hi. I have just got back from my first cycle camping experience around the beautiful island of Anglesey.
It was fantastic, although 4 days was just too short; I certainly think that I've got the bug for more.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438636235.715982.jpg

This is my loaded Croix de Fer. 15kg of luggage altogether -mostly loaded at the back with the odd kilo or so up front in the Alpkit bag.
Would I benefit from distributing some of this weight in some front panniers as well ? Is the added stability of front panniers a good trade off for the weight of the front rack and panniers ?
irc

Re: How much do you take on tour ?

Post by irc »

I tour with no handlebar bag and 4 panniers. All up weight including panniers but not food or water is around 15kg. Means I've plenty space to stock up with food late in the day. Also don't need to pack carefully just chuck stuff in. Very stable. But if your set up works for you no need to change.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

At 15kg for your first trip, you've done well. Personally I'd stick to just rear panniers and look to reducing your all-up weight by 2-3kg rather than increasing it with extra panniers and what you'll put in them. (The only time I use 4 panniers is when touring by tandem, and that's kit for two).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
don1

Post by don1 »

Thanks guys. I reckon I'd be hard pushed to strip 2-3kg off that.
I suppose my bike locking cable is reasonably heavy, but I'm too paranoid to leave that at home.
I could probably shave 1kg off my luggage, but at the wrong side of 15st myself, that's where I can best save some weight.
I used this trip to try to get my cycling legs back after 6 weeks off the bike. Hopefully the weight will start to come off a bit.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I try and do two cycle-camping tours per year, one of about 2+ weeks and of about 10 days. I have light, medium and heavy touring bikes to choose from, the medium being a Croix de Fer, and I would say 15 Kgs is about as good as you're going to get without sacrificing some comfort or compromise. I also use a front bar bag, normally just the Ortlieb compact, which is only 2.2 litres, but it only holds valuables and camera. I also have the 6-litre bag as wel, but try to keep weight and bulk down, I always produce a kit list of everything down to the last detail, both as a tick list for the next tour and also to see what I haven't used and what I have missed. I do have a lightweight tent (Easton Kilo), but that is only good for summer or mild weather (it suffered a cracked pole in extreme winds, in Peterhead, in May 2012) so I will mostly use one of my heavier Hilleberg tents, as I often tour in the 3-season periods, and I use a more comfortable sleeping mat at the expense of a couple of hundred grams, but it is worth every gram to me!
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

front panniers have a big affect upon aerodynamics, your top speed (downhill) will be reduced, and headwinds will have even more effect.
I like to balance the load though, and always have too much stuff.
I suppose I could get some super light titanium folding everything that costs more than the bike
One of the best tours I ever went on was on mountain bikes, supported by a car to carry the luggage. The very fitest went back by road to that days start point to get it. Thank-you Mr X
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

I did my first tour in may (roscoff to Santander,first abroad anyway) using only two panniers with my tent on top of the rack,i was camping every night so I had sleeping bag, mat,stove etc and its suprising how quickly two panniers fill up
Even tho I got into a packing routine and had enough space I think i definitely would have benifited from a bar bag to keep daily food,stove and little bits and pieces in one place (really don't want to be loaded down with front panniers aswell,seems overkill for me,i accept I am bicycle touring and not in the house so I don't feel the need to bring the house with me :D )
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I think two rear panniers and a bar bag is perfect. I don't like bar bags because they affect the bike's handling, but they are just too convenient as a kind of ladies' handbag for telephone, money, passport, spare tube, emergency blanket, medication etc. I think with judicious pruning you could probably shave off a bit more weight, depending on the season and the expected conditions. That may improve the handling of your bike more than using front panniers. But for a first time you came admirably close to perfection.
cjs

Post by cjs »

How much gear? Depends where you go, when and for how long... And whether you eat out, cook, self sufficient etc... And the size of your wallet..

Everyone is very different.. :) My idea of perfection is not others... many years ago, just a tarp and a bag on the ground would do, but not now :)

How much gear? For me a lot - 4 panniers, a 7L bar bag and a small drybag on top of the rack.

I do not care too much about weight...I do not weigh the panniers.. I’m a lazy tourer - as a rule no more than 80 niles a day, often wild camping, with generally no schedule.

I use a XL 3 season synthetic bag, 2.7kg large tent, a XL 6cm deep mattress, pillor, trangia, 3 sets of cycle clothing and 1 for the pub, 2 shoe types, of course decent waterproofs, a windchill jacket, buff, gloves and I love fresh coffee so theres an aeropress in there too, along with a walkstool because my knees are done and a harness to stop it sinking in soft ground.... Then there’s the tablet, kindle, phone and camera...

Sure, I could spend more and get lighter stuff (Good, Cheap, Light - pick any 2 as the saying goes...) dump the walkstool, exchange the Trangia for a small unstable gas thing, smell some more and drink water not coffee, combine all the gizmos into a IPhone6 and get a dynamo on the front wheel... But no I am good as it is... and for 16 days this month in NW Scotland / Hebrides in the heavy rain, wind and cold I needed all the kit, and still using all of it meandering around Benelux...

The bike handles fine generally even winching up the hills in the granny :shock: but I keep it below 45 mph coming down...
Kind Regards
Chris...
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

willem jongman wrote:I don't like bar bags because they affect the bike's handling, but they are just too convenient
I agree, but you can get 90% of the utility for very little handling interference with one of smaller bags, very cheap on ebay. Just big enough for camera, map, phone, sunglasses, latest patisserie etc. How well this design works depends on your cable routing, and best suited to mostly dry weather use of course, but def worth a go. Mine is terrific.
$_12.JPG
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

cjs wrote:How much gear? Depends where you go, when and for how long... And whether you eat out, cook, self sufficient etc... And the size of your wallet..

Everyone is very different.. :) My idea of perfection is not others... many years ago, just a tarp and a bag on the ground would do, but not now :)

How much gear? For me a lot - 4 panniers, a 7L bar bag and a small drybag on top of the rack.

I do not care too much about weight...I do not weigh the panniers.. I’m a lazy tourer - as a rule no more than 80 niles a day, often wild camping, with generally no schedule.

I use a XL 3 season synthetic bag, 2.7kg large tent, a XL 6cm deep mattress, pillor, trangia, 3 sets of cycle clothing and 1 for the pub, 2 shoe types, of course decent waterproofs, a windchill jacket, buff, gloves and I love fresh coffee so theres an aeropress in there too, along with a walkstool because my knees are done and a harness to stop it sinking in soft ground.... Then there’s the tablet, kindle, phone and camera...

Sure, I could spend more and get lighter stuff (Good, Cheap, Light - pick any 2 as the saying goes...) dump the walkstool, exchange the Trangia for a small unstable gas thing, smell some more and drink water not coffee, combine all the gizmos into a IPhone6 and get a dynamo on the front wheel... But no I am good as it is... and for 16 days this month in NW Scotland / Hebrides in the heavy rain, wind and cold I needed all the kit, and still using all of it meandering around Benelux...

The bike handles fine generally even winching up the hills in the granny :shock: but I keep it below 45 mph coming down...

I found the above very amusing and I take it not to be a true account?
After all a lazy Tourer does not do anywhere near 80 miles a day. Tablet, Kindle whatever next a full size wall TV?
Great, I enjoyed every inch of it and am still smiling! :D :D :D :D :D
John
grahamf01

Post by grahamf01 »

I find this thread interesting. I did 2 tours this year, both taking the same kit, total weight 27kg including pannier bags: 2.7kg tent, plus camping kit, clothes, food, tools & spares. The first time I took my Audax bike with the luggage in a 10kg kiddie trailer, and the second with a steel touring bike and four panniers. Across both trips I was away for 32 nights, and if I was doing it again I would take more bad weather clothes, therefore more weight. The traditional pannier configuration worked great, with confident handling and room for everything, but I would be happy using the kiddie trailer again another time. It was heavier, but the bike was light and handled close to normal. It was easier to load the trailer, the extra wheels did not seen to be the problem I expected, and my speed both up and downhill were similar to the pannier configuration - up to 40 mph!
I would say take what you want to, enjoy the trip and use what you have taken!
jags

Post by jags »

OP your set up is terrific fantastic looking bike if it worked for 4 days it will work forever change nothing. :wink:
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

jags wrote:OP your set up is terrific fantastic looking bike if it worked for 4 days it will work forever change nothing. :wink:

I'd second that, looks fine to me! (Actually v similar to my set-up - except I've got a barbag)! There's time for another tour this autumn maybe?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin