Any taller Moulton riders out there?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Freddie

Any taller Moulton riders out there?

Post by Freddie »

I'm interested in a Moulton as a bicycle that (hopefully) rides similarly well to a large wheeled bike, but with the capability for the frame to be taken apart, packed and transported relatively easily in a car boot, on a plane and so on. Are there any taller 6' and up riders of Moultons here? How does the bike fare for comfort, fit and handling in comparison to a usual full size bike?
merseymouth

Re: Any taller Moulton riders out there?

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Freddie, As Dr Moulton was certainly above that height mark, as is David Duffield (a Big Moulton Rider), you should find no issues!
I recall that the Dr dwarfed me, only 5ft 10 inches, so size fit was always properly considered.
TTFN MM
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hi, I'm a compact and bijou 5' 9 and three quarters, and I find the TSR frame set an excellent fit so I'm kind-of wary about how it would feel to a six foot plus person... A tall fellow I met in France last year borrowed it for a day (we swapped bikes) and reported that he'd felt a bit cramped, but of course it wasn't set up properly for him. You might be better off posing the same Q to the Good Folk on the Moulton Yahoo group - there's a few Moulton riders here, but don't know how tall they all are!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/moultonbicycle/info
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

I'm 6' and have been only riding Moultons since the mid 80's.

The early F-frame fit well, and I put long stems on the Mk3 and TSR (which have exactly the same virtual 'top tube' length - @21"). My TSR8 has (if IIRC!) a 140mm stem on and it is comfortable for me. If I had drops it could be a bit shorter.

But height is not the only thing that you have to consider, leg and torso length vary so you might find it to be different for you.
robgul

Post by robgul »

I'm about 6-4.5 and an ex Moulton rider - I found the bike (a Pashley Moulton FX8) a combination of being too small and an uncomfortable riding position.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've had two APB's. I'm 6.2 1/2. No problem for me. I've toured on one about 5 times. I don't have very long legs... 32in trouser length.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hmm, more tall, CTC forum reading, Moulton riders out there than than I thought they'd be! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
LWaB

Post by LWaB »

I'm 182cm and the stock seatpost is a couple cm short of the limit. On the other hand, I needed a 150mm AM stem that cost a packet and is somewhat shorter than I'd like. The 'top tube' needs to be longer for tall folk.