Shimano Sora rear shifter not shifting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Allydoug

Shimano Sora rear shifter not shifting

Post by Allydoug »

Hi, I've had my Raleigh RX Elite for 3/4 year now and it is my perfect match. Sadly today whilst re setting the brakes (routine maintenance) the rear gears (8 speed) wouldn't shift. I think it might be something inside the shifter.
To clear things up it is only the gear function,(BRAKES ARE WORKING OK), I am currently stuck in 8th gear. By pulling the gear cable I can change gear so it is not the derailleur.
It is a cyclo cross bike.
2014 version
Shimano sora shifters and derailleur

Groupset
Shift Levers: Shimano Sora
Brake Levers: Shimano Sora
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Sora ss
Front Derailleur: Shimano Sora

Here are the complete specifications of the bike
http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/Pr ... 4&pg=12142

I hope someone can help me fix this or has taken one of these apart before then your suggestions, directions etc. would be gratefully received,
Allydoug.
NUKe

Re: Shimano Sora rear shifter not shifting

Post by NUKe »

could be a broken cable or a stuck shifter. the old Sora shifter are not really servicable but a good dose of wwd40 can sometimes free them off. the otherthing to check is that the cable is not broken somewhere is the calbe outer in tact.
NUKe

Post by Allydoug »

I think the cable was replaced when I had it serviced last month so mabye I should just go back to the shop, but thanks anyway I'll give that a go with the WD40.
Compliments from a nice laddie over the rainbow in Scotland.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

If when you pull an exposed section of the cable sideways it changes gear, that suggests to me the cable is fine (otherwise it would pull out from the shifter end, so it must be unbroken and firmly connected at the shifter).

The specifications show a 9-speed bike but you say yours is 8-speed. Check carefully before buying a replacement shifter.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Cable frayed inside shifter can cause this.
Allydoug

Post by Allydoug »

Samuel D wrote:If when you pull an exposed section of the cable sideways it changes gear, that suggests to me the cable is fine (otherwise it would pull out from the shifter end, so it must be unbroken and firmly connected at the shifter).

The specifications show a 9-speed bike but you say yours is 8-speed. Check carefully before buying a replacement shifter.

Thanks Samuel, I agree the cable should be fine if it is new, I will go to the place I had it serviced tomorrow and get it fixed. I know just how difficult the shifters are to take apart so I for once will go to "an experienced bike mechanic".
Thanks anyway
Allydoug

Post by Allydoug »

rualexander wrote:Cable frayed inside shifter can cause this.

Thanks for your thoughts, When I get it checked I will see what is wrong because they are tricky parts - I can't trust myself enough sadly!!! :lol:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the upshift lever has not returned fully then the downshift lever may well be inhibited, i.e. it won't move. If the downshift lever moves fully but doesn't ratchet then this is either a shifter fault or a cable adjustment fault; if the cable has (say) pulled through, the mech can be in 8th and the shifter can still be in first!

If the shifter itself is suspect the first thing to do is to lube it with spray lube just in case something has become sticky inside.

If the cable inner has been replaced recently then it ought to be OK, but

a) the cable can pull through the pinch bolt
b) the cable can collapse the cable housing/ferrules
c) there may be strands of the old cable jamming the shifter internals

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Also it would be worth checking that the gear cable nipple hasn't got unseated from it's rightful place inside the shifter while working on the brakes. Pull the brake lever a bit as if you're applying the brake, you should be able to see the nipple end if you look inside from the outboard side of the lever. Compare it's seated the same as the cable for the front shifter (first change the front shifter to the smallest chainring so it's in the same position).
Allydoug

Post by Allydoug »

Once again thank you for your contributions, I can now confirm that the inner's nipple came loose. I brought my bike to Leslie Bike shop in Glenrothes and got it fixed within a few hours, I can highly recommend this bike shop for those living in Fife (Scotland). There is now a new gear cable in. I'm glad that I brought it there because I would have spent 2 hours breaking the thing, they fixed it, with labour and a new cable - £15.
Very pleased, maybe next time I can give it a go!
Best wishes,
Allydoug.