Scottish weather has me freaked out!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Paulatic

Re: Scottish weather has me freaked out!

Post by Paulatic »

Good luck, the weather has improved too. I've got my shorts on.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

irc wrote:
iviehoff wrote:
irc wrote:This year is the coldest summer in Scotland since 1998 and also far wetter than average in many areas.

What that graphic actually shows is that the west and north of Scotland has had fairly normal rainfall, the additional rain has been in the lowland belt and the east.

Which is why I said "far wetter than average in many areas". Which part of that is wrong?

I wasn't contradicting you. I was just observing that the areas of Scotland of most interest to cycle tourists do not actually appear to have been unusually wet this past July.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Jimstar79 wrote: A rest day to me is relaxing in nice weather, hopefully/wishfully sunbathing, sitting around drinking coffee and reading a good book, whilst swatting midgies!

:lol: :mrgreen:

I don't think you'll be swatting them! more like running away from the little buggers unless you have repellent or netting!!!
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

I hear they are notorious for carrying fully loaded cyclist back to their lair :shock:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

iviehoff wrote:What that graphic actually shows is that the west and north of Scotland has had fairly normal rainfall, the additional rain has been in the lowland belt and the east.

I was just observing that the areas of Scotland of most interest to cycle tourists do not actually appear to have been unusually wet this past July.[/quote]

However they have had an unusually wet year altogether. If you look at each month this year, it has been either average or much wetter in all areas of western Scotland. May in particular, which is normally western Scotland's driest month, was exceptionally wet. The wettest areas seem to have been Argyllshire and the far north-west.

And remember that the average rainfall totals in western Scotland are many times higher than those in the east or in most parts of England.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

The rain has certainly been a right pain in the butt this year but the wind has been far worse! It has hardly stopped blowing since last November. The combination of both has made Scotland's great outdoors a pretty unpleasant place to be. Worse news is, the weather has had no effect whatsoever on the midgies ! They are thriving and are active the very second there is a drop in the wind. Rain doesn't bother them. :shock:
robing

Post by robing »

I think we were incredibly lucky when we did Dover to Cape Wrath in the heatwave of July 2013. It was hot right up until the far north of Scotland. The hottest day was I think in Dumfries and Galloway. The white beaches of the west coast of Scotland were like the Caribbean. And due to the extreme heat, midges were noticeable by their absence. The horseflies, or 'clegs' though were out in force and I got loads of bites.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Good Luck.
I would have ditched at least one short sleeved top (and would be wearing one so only 2 packed) only had one long sleeved top, plus a couple of arm warmers that turn a short sleeve into a long sleeve....
Would never consider taking a pair of trainers, SPD have to double as apres cycle shoes or a light pair of sandals depending on weather.

Durness, first year we had booked two nights at YHA in order to have aday riding to Cape Wrath. Second time, weather was for massive improvement next day so stayed the extra day in order to finally get to Cape Wrath..... we did :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Um, can I point out that I had a week in Orkney in July and it was dry and I got sunburn (I didn't take the bike as the forecast was bad) and I've just had a week near Aviemore (walking) and it was dry (daytimes) also and even warm at times. It is true it is cold and it has rained allot, but not everywhere and not all the time. Cleggs are bad though.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Clegs never worried me, but midges!!!!! Ugh!!! They were bad last time i was up there due to a mild winter.....

But agree, forecast is often gloomier than weather turns out, i tend to adopt a wait and see policy if at home, or just do it anyway....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

For the last 18 years or so I've been heading up to North West Scotland in May to either walk or in recent years cycle. This year was not good! My planned trip was Skye, the West coast and the Hebrides. I gave up after 4 days, had to change plans due to cancelled ferries, got totally battered by the wind and the forecast was showing worse to come! Oh and it was cold, made touring no fun at all, couldn't even stop for any length of time due to the cold wind. I was camping and the prospect of having to sit out bad weather in my small tent did not appeal at all.

We returned (to Islay) in July for a week. This time we had a holiday cottage as a base, and although it was still pretty windy (most days) and wet (for three days), we managed to get out on the bikes every day. Being able to retreat back to the cottage (and watch the progress of the TdF every night) made a huge difference.

Good luck to anyone touring up there at the moment (especially if you are camping). I'll be keeping an eye on the weather in September and may try and dash back up for a short tour then!
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

eileithyia wrote:Clegs never worried me, but midges!!!!! Ugh!!! They were bad last time i was up there due to a mild winter.....

But agree, forecast is often gloomier than weather turns out, i tend to adopt a wait and see policy if at home, or just do it anyway....

They are normally just an occasional problem but I got 4 bites from the 1 fanged vampires this time and no midge.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

On my week long tour of the Western Isles at the start of June, I never felt a midgie apart from camping at lochgilphead on the way to Oban....every other day was so grim, even the midgies stayed at home :)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Elizabeth_S wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Clegs never worried me, but midges!!!!! Ugh!!! They were bad last time i was up there due to a mild winter.....

They are normally just an occasional problem but I got 4 bites from the 1 fanged vampires this time and no midge.

:lol: I find Horseflies are painful, irritate a little bit and an hour later there is no sign of a bite.. (I know this is not true for a lot of people) I can still have nasty midge bites hanging around for 2 weeks after i have returned from a trip to midge country, so probably for about 3 weeks in total...... :(
robing

Post by robing »

I read somewhere that midges, though tiny, actually cut a tiny piece of skin away when they feed on you. I'm also a magnet for mosquitoes.