Which chair for the campsite

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Weimarunner

Re: Which chair for the campsite

Post by Weimarunner »

I know it's not on the same comfort levels as a folding chair proper but this foam seat pad is really comfy, compact and feather light - http://www.cycletourstore.co.uk/product ... -seat-pad/
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I have a synmat and the chair kit. The chair kit works really well, the cover actually provides additional protection for the mat and makes it better to sleep on (it has a pocket that forms a pillow). Low enough to let you sit up inside a tent.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Looked at lots of chairs at a Festival I attended. Most people were in the standard cheapo folding chairs but I spotted a couple who had these. They got up and folded them up in a few seconds and then put them in little bags and were gone. These ones are like the Helinox jobs but have height adjustable legs which can make them a bit higher and thus more comfortable I believe.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012NDVSWU/r ... 71_TE_item They are available singly too.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

al_yrpal wrote:like the Helinox jobs but have height adjustable legs which can make them a bit higher and thus more comfortable I believe

The extended legs don't look any longer than the non-adjustable Helinox copies to me.
I suppose lower makes reaching your camping stove easier, which I've seen given as a grumble about the Helinox
b1galus

Post by b1galus »

i bought this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer-Portable ... BF8S28G1ZJ cheap enough , easily and quickly assembled and fits my fat a..e ok
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

al_yrpal wrote:I think this is the current favourite. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Foldin ... EHCQCC0AQ1 Its a Helinox copy but they are £85 odd

Al

+1 - I have a genuine Helinox which I absolutely love, and my friend has a copied version. Side by side they look, weigh and feel the same. The copy looks as durable but only the test of time would prove that point. I would not hesitate on going for the copy given the price difference.
Attachments
temp2.jpg
Last edited by bikes4two on 17 Sep 2015, 11:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Really nice build quality stainless steel stool - http://www.cycletourstore.co.uk/product ... tool-seat/
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I had a thought today in memory of a rainy evening in a campsite once upon a time. My Thermarest chair kit was perfect INSIDE the tent while I sat up and read in the dry. Any 'legged' chairs are obviously unsuitable...b
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Brand new Genuine Helinox Chair One currently being advertised for sale at a bargain price on the Bikes and Bits for sale section. :wink:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

X post.... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=62173&start=45#p925215

...and the little bag the Helinox copy comes in has a strip of webbing on the side of the bag it comes in, this allows you to loop Velcro strips around to attach it neatly to the top tube on your bike frame.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

and the little bag the Helinox copy comes in has a strip of webbing on the side of the bag it comes in, this allows you to loop Velcro strips around to attach it neatly to the top tube on your bike frame.

So it does! I hadn't thought of that, thanks Al.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Word of warning, these chairs vary in build quality. I was sent four from different distributors, two of them were really very poor quality, another was acceptable and the other was really very impressive. I would imagine some of these 'not so great' chairs are all over amazon / ebay.
This is the good'un, rated to 145kg load whereas the others were 100kg test or lower - http://www.cycletourstore.co.uk/product ... nox-style/
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Weimarunner wrote:Word of warning, these chairs vary in build quality. I was sent four from different distributors, two of them were really very poor quality, another was acceptable and the other was really very impressive. I would imagine some of these 'not so great' chairs are all over amazon / ebay.
This is the good'un, rated to 145kg load whereas the others were 100kg test or lower - http://www.cycletourstore.co.uk/product ... nox-style/

What make is it? And, which ones werent so good?

And, are you selling them?

Al
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Hi, not selling these as yet, well I have one that is advertised on the website but no quantity as yet.

There's no make as such, all of these chairs are coming from China. The better distributors are bringing in the nicer quality kit but there seems to be plenty of the cheap ones all over the Internet.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Usual story, its not possible to tell whats good and what isnt without trying them out. Ive skim read a few of the links on here, soem amazon chairs are described as having a load bearing of "about 100kg). One wriggle from a larger person and it will break, no good, not safe. Junk. More chinese tat.