SHIMANO LX Front Hub spare outer cones

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cjs

SHIMANO LX Front Hub spare outer cones

Post by cjs »

Hi,

Halfway through a tour (Ireland, Hebrides, Holland etc..) and currently in Holland.. The front hub gave some bother a while back and investigation shows one of the outer cones is done.

Anyway, the rather extensive and expensive LBS gave me a pair of replacement cones that apparently they reckoned would do but these are not right... Once adjusted for play the OD is far to small... they have no idea how long to get a manufacturers replacement in...

Anyone know a UK shop likely to have them in and wiling to post. I do not fancy the idea of a new hub and rebuilding the Spa HB wheel....

Google does not seem to throw anything up...
Kind Regards
Chris...
cjs

Re: SHIMANO LX Front Hub spare outer cones

Post by cjs »

Sorted... just ordered a new LX hub for 20 euros delivered from Rose Bikes... just use the cones - done.

The wrong cones from the LBS were 14 euros...!
Kind Regards
Chris...
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I reckon these guys could be your best chance:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-hub- ... pt422_pg1/

Your second post appeared while I was typing - you still need a pair of cones for the new hub,, right?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

cjs wrote:Sorted... just ordered a new LX hub for 20 euros delivered from Rose Bikes... just use the cones - done.

Hope the new hub you ordered has compatible cones - there have been numerous LX front hub models, many with different cones. For example, the m570 and m571 cones are vastly different.

If the hub from Rose has the same model code then you should be fine, if not you might want to post the two model codes.
cjs

Post by cjs »

@DaveP - thanks for the response... but the new hub is in the post... I had look at that link before posting and could not see the model I need ...

@recordacefromnew - thanks for the response... hopefully it will be fine.. its a SHIMANO Deore LX HB-T670 - same as original except colour - so fingers crossed - otherwise I swapping out the hubs complete...
Kind Regards
Chris...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

apologies if this is b-obvious but do be sure that you are adjusting the bearings correctly. The correct adjustment is when there is a little free play in the hub when the QR is just nipped, that just disappears when the QR is fully tightened. Obviously the locknuts should be tight against the cones.

IME if hubs are adjusted thus, they only ever give any trouble if the water gets inside.

BTW NB; with some shimano front hubs it is possible to assemble the front hub badly, so that the balls sit in the wrong part of the hubshell. This rarely ends well...!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~