Damaged steel frame advice please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MahyE

Damaged steel frame advice please

Post by MahyE »

I've just noticed my 6 years old Thorn Commutor (Reynolds 501 or similar, can't remember) has a hairline crack in the seat lug. It begins at the base of the square, slim cut out on the rear of the seat tube, ie below the seatbolt and where the seatpost fixes in, and extends for 7mm or so. It's a very, very thin crack but it's not a paint scar, it's a tear. The frame is well used but I want to keep riding it. I've always used a seatpost that is well below maximum extension and I'm a light rider. Thorn say not to worry but to keep an eye on it and have even suggested it's covered by warranty but I wonder if anyone's got any advice to the contrary? I don't want to damage it beyond repair but equally don't know if this section can be repaired.

Thanks, Euan.
vernon

Re: Damaged steel frame advice please

Post by vernon »

MahyE wrote:I've just noticed my 6 years old Thorn Commutor (Reynolds 501 or similar, can't remember) has a hairline crack in the seat lug. It begins at the base of the square, slim cut out on the rear of the seat tube, ie below the seatbolt and where the seatpost fixes in, and extends for 7mm or so. It's a very, very thin crack but it's not a paint scar, it's a tear. The frame is well used but I want to keep riding it. I've always used a seatpost that is well below maximum extension and I'm a light rider. Thorn say not to worry but to keep an eye on it and have even suggested it's covered by warranty but I wonder if anyone's got any advice to the contrary? I don't want to damage it beyond repair but equally don't know if this section can be repaired.

Thanks, Euan.

If it's covered by warantee, why not get it repaired?

The crack will not spontaneously heal itself nor can it be guaranteed not to propagate.

If you get it repaired then you cannot damage it beyond repair.......

One engineering solution to preventing a crack from spreading it to drill a small hole at the tip of the crack - don't know how this would affect your guarantee though.
MahyE

Post by MahyE »

You're right, it's warranteed so pretty obvious really. Thanks for providing clarity of thought.