Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
maxcherry

Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

Post by maxcherry »

Would he have done it if it was a man on the bike!? I doubt it very much

[youtube]c8MiuH6ZvEE[/youtube]

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/an ... 20291.html
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
mercalia

Re: Pedestrian pushes cyclist off bike and into traffic

Post by mercalia »

completely stupid.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I would hope that video evidence like that will be pursued and result in a prosecution (the outcome of which must be fairly obvious). There should be no problem identifying and finding the individual with such good quality images. And, following threads here about Police use of video evidence I would think there would be something very wrong with our system if this footage with a complaint from the assaulted person was not adequate for a "throw the book at him".

maxcherry wrote:Would he have done it if it was a man on the bike!? I doubt it very much...

Difficult to say and probably depends on "the man". So a 6+ ft 18+ stone rugby prop forward - probably not; but a slightly built anorexic teenage boy probably yes. I wonder if it is a bit soon to be putting this down to something gender based.

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Why did the cyclist not allow the guy to continue crossing? He was obviously well on his way across so giving way to him would have seemed like the fairly obvious thing to do.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Oh dear I am left with the feeling that it would be lovely if this idiot was recognised by someone and was given the same sort of treatment, but perhaps a bit heavier, that he gave this unfortunate lady cyclist. To me that would be far more preferable than a slap on the wrist from the authorities if he is caught.
hondated

Post by hondated »

kwackers wrote:Why did the cyclist not allow the guy to continue crossing? He was obviously well on his way across so giving way to him would have seemed like the fairly obvious thing to do.

Ok but you don't push a cyclist off the road like that and of cause if it had been you me or a n other who could also dish it out the *rat would not have done it
kuba

Post by kuba »

kwackers wrote:Why did the cyclist not allow the guy to continue crossing? He was obviously well on his way across so giving way to him would have seemed like the fairly obvious thing to do.

If you look at the traffic light right at the start of the video, in the top left corner of the frame, it's quite evident he's crossing on a red light. That's probably why cars didn't stop for him, and neither did the cyclist.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

hondated wrote:

Ok but you don't push a cyclist off the road like that and of cause if it had been you me or a n other who could also dish it out the *rat would not have done it

You share the OP's interpretation but I'd say it's much more socially acceptable for a man to exhibit violence towards another man in public than a woman. There's no shortage of male on male road rage incidents of this type and indeed this is the first time I can remember a female being involved in one of these videos. Not that we can really deduce any meaningful trend from a few isolated incidents.
Last edited by Bicycler on 25 Aug 2015, 3:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

What an idiot. He is certainly going to be recognised and charged with assault or something much worse. I bet he is quaking in his boots.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why the delay about this?
Aug 25th news item, but the incident occurred May 1st.
The man launched the astonishing assault on May 1 at about 6pm

Strange.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

kuba wrote:

If you look at the traffic light right at the start of the video, in the top left corner of the frame, it's quite evident he's crossing on a red light. That's probably why cars didn't stop for him, and neither did the cyclist.

Irrelevant. He was crossing the road and you should always allow pedestrians who have started to cross the time to do so. As it happens the cyclist not doing so, then having a go at the pedestrian and giving him the finger resulted in a violent outburst from the pedestrian. The police are rightly seeking him because it was entirely his fault that he acted in that way, but I can't help but think this was a needless altercation.
kuba

Post by kuba »

Bicycler wrote:
kuba wrote:

Irrelevant. He was crossing the road and you should always allow pedestrians who have started to cross the time to do so. As it happens the cyclist not doing so, then having a go at the pedestrian and giving him the finger resulted in a violent outburst from the pedestrian. The police are rightly seeking him because it was entirely his fault that he acted in that way, but I can't help but think this was a needless altercation.

It's very relevant. The traffic is moving relatively smoothly and the pedestrian is on red when he gets on to the road in front of the cyclist. It's her right of way, not his, and she's clearly trying to leave a junction with cars being right behind her. I also cannot see her giving him the finger either, but can hear her saying "please don't try and knock me off"...? But yes, the altercation was needless of course, if he only waited for a green light!

EDIT: And if anything here is irrelevant, then that would be the cyclists' behaviour prior to being assaulted. It's a bit of a 'short skirt' argument...
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Well he's heard saying "Come on then. You wanna put your finger up at me you mug". An odd comment if she hadn't. I reckon she had time to slow and allow him to cross and that is what should have happened regardless of "right of way".

EDIT: And if anything here is irrelevant, then that would be the cyclists' behaviour prior to being assaulted. It's a bit of a 'short skirt' argument...

No it isn't it's a separate discussion. I went to some length to point out that the blame remained his and only his. That is not to say that there aren't ways in which we can reduce opportunities for unnecessary conflict. Far too often we see incidents like this which would not have happened if people were just that bit less confrontational.
Last edited by Bicycler on 25 Aug 2015, 4:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

The please don't try and push me off is strange, maybe he pushed the cyclist for making him stop. The right/wrong of the cyclist stopping to let him continue is a side issue and hard to tell the full circumstances from the footage.

The reaction from the pedestrian is totally OTT, I'm guessing it has only just been released as the police haven't had much luck finding him so put out an appeal
kuba

Post by kuba »

Bicycler wrote:Well he's heard saying "Come on then. You wanna put your finger up at me you mug". An odd comment if she hadn't. I reckon she had time to slow and allow him to cross and that is what should have happened regardless of "right of way".

This guy is blind with rage, and she may well have simply waved a hand for all we know. Her language isn't confrontational, whereas he's clearly a bully and feels man enough to intimidate a female on a bike. As for slowing down, well, when leaving a junction with a queue of cars behind me the last thing I wan't to do is to brake rapidly to let a poor, colour-blind soul cross on the red.

But even if she and not him were on red, and shouted abuse at him, that still doesn't justify his assault in the slightest and that's the issue here.