What do you do when the going gets tough?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

What do you do when the going gets tough?

Post by mnichols »

Tough is different for all of us, but we all know what it is

I've been looking for a book for a long time about mental strategies to help when you're on the bike and the going's getting tough

Can't find any cycling books about the mental strategies for keeping the pedals turning, so I've been reading books about Scott, Shackleton, by Mountainers and about mindfullness

I'm not talking about setting goals or having the drive to do something in the first place, I'm talking about when you're on the bike, your brain is saying "please stop doing this" and you need to keep going.

What do you tell yourself? What techniques do you use?

I'm not going to say what I am training for, as that might inhibit people from responding, and for the same reason I would ask people to do the same.

Tough is different for all of us, but we all know what it is - so what do you do when the going get's tough?

- happy to receive book recommendations as well
shane

Re: What do you do when the going gets tough?

Post by shane »

When the going gets tough......get a bus (especially if you're sat at the end of your bed rocking back and forth after 4 days of shits for the 3rd time in 3 weeks ) :lol:

http://www.shanecycles.com/africa/2012/ ... ear-later/
beardy

Post by beardy »

The absence of any "get out" tends to work quite well for me. No choice but to carry on going.

On the other hand I do have low gears and I can just settle down to winching my way on at a very low power setting.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

>your brain is saying "please stop doing this" and you need to keep going

If your brain is telling you that consistently for days and does not go away, then something would need to change, as you are then just punishing yourself.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I will let you in to a secret.

Long time ago when I was doing long distance walking on my own carrying tent sleeping bag etc 45 - 53 Ibs dry no food or water........................after the second day your feet begin to hurt then they throb unless you stop............then after the thid day you wake in the morn and your feet are still singing with pain............

To carry on you force yourself to go harder then the pain drops by fifty percent...........honest....................

Man up :!:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

When the going gets tough the tough get going. You just have to apply yourself, dig in and keep pushing. Have done quite a few long distance events and know that while there are low points you can ride through them. Often a stop, short break for a snack can refresh you.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
sbesley

Post by sbesley »

Have a boiled sweet!

Set myself a micro-goal. Might be another 500ft of a climb or another 5 miles on the flat.

then treat myself to another boiled sweet etc.

(repeat as necessary...)

A long ride ahead can seem daunting. I like to divide it into fractions and then constantly adjust the fractions of the ride I have completed as the day progresses.

If I want a longer term motivator, I look forward to the pint at the end of the day!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yes, focus on the next little goal and blank out the daunting final target.

Look back (mentally) at what you have already done / overcome, not at what you still have to do.

List all the things that are still working okay. The backside may be sore, but the legs are feeling fine and the wheels are spinning on lovely new grease, and the weather is looking a bit less grim ........

See the lows as an inevitable part of a long challenge, and deal with them like hills to be overcome. Be pleased with yourself when you manage to suppress negative thoughts.
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

I have multiple strategies depending on the situation.

If I'm just having a tough time, lots of hills & a heavy load for example, then I'll stop for either a cup of tea, a snack, a meal, a cigarette or a combination of the above. Rinse & repeat.

Through to full on gollum-like drill instructor/snot bubbling sobbing recruit when it's sleeting down & I've 20 miles left to cover of the inadvisable 100 I decided to do that day.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Just to add -
Weather can run you down to a point of feeling like exposure, you might be on the verge, I have in the past refused to stop, knowing I am cold and hungry, not a mistake I make to day, so -
Preparation, food drink clothes navigation, emergency rations always, that's carry more than you think you need - and pace yourself - eat and drink regularly - when it gets painfull always stop and rest and eat etc, then it don't seem so bad.

Don't rely on others to navigate for you, so always check their workings.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I remember watching Eddie Izzard running a marathon every day with a knee injury, and being astonished at how he got away with it. When I ignored a painful ankle and carried on walking for just a few hours it left me with a recurring injury that forced me to quit fellwalking.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mnichols wrote:
Tough is different for all of us, but we all know what it is - so what do you do when the going get's tough?

I agree with the 'sectionalising' recommendations. I even do that when my commute home is wet, miserable and cold. I get to 2.5 miles and think 'only got to do that 9 more times' (and so on throughout the ride), it makes it seem easier. Many years ago I read a book by a former SAS trooper who wrote that when you're absolutely shattered, or feel absolutely shattered, you've only used 30% of your available stamina, real strength lies in being able to motivate yourself to start using the other 70%.

Don't know whether it's true or not - and of course digging too deeply may lead to unfortunate consequences, but I always remember it when I'm flagging and bucking myself up.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I do sometimes dread that hill whatever and think over that and its all downhill :)
Convert your miles to hours in your head and think on that, this is what I did with long distance walking, three hours is not as far as 9 - 30 odd miles whatever your mode of transport.

Muscle pain or general fatigue is one thing a sharp pain or one that is there when a limb is in one position only generally points to ligament / joint problem.

I suffer unstable ankles for which I do daily exercises, and I did a 9 mile moor walk the other day and sprained my ankle the same one I did whilst running blind along a prom after winter tides :?
My boots were slightly lose (fell to the ground) so I tightened them up and there was no pain as I bared weight :)
Was careful till the finish, no problem next day and little / no swelling, years ago when this was a regular event I would be incapacitated for several days, only the exercises prevent that.
After a hard three hours in the saddle yesterday I could feel it when I stopped and walked but soon gone.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You get days when it all goes pear shaped for one reason or another, i find the key is to not panic.

If its a tough ride, break it into chunks in your head, stop, take your mind off the riding if you can. if you use some form of computer set it to km's - more of them but they go quicker so it fools your head into thinking you've made better progress!

Mostly think positively about the end result - the beer, the shower, catching the ferry etc.

It certainly helps if you are realistic in your ride expectations in term's of load/distance/terrain/time available/weather.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Sometimes the correct answer is to give up, particularly if you are likely to put yourself in jeopardy or seriously inconvenience others if you continue. Otherwise it is just down to your ability to cope with mental or physical discomfort.