Question aimed specifically at male cyclists!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: Question aimed specifically at male cyclists!

Post by RickH »

The other thing to remember is you need bibs of the right body length. If you have a long torso, in relation to the rest of you, you may need to go up a size to allow for that at the risk of the Nora Batty look in the legs.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

My question is:

Why would you want to wear bib tights ?

My concern is the rigmarole involved when one has to take a leak. Because of the all-in-one nature of the garment, it is necessary to strip almost to the 'buff' in order to deploy the python.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

jimlews wrote:Why would you want to wear bib tights ?

To avoid a cold lower back, or the potential annoyance of a waistband.
RickH

Post by RickH »

jimlews wrote:My question is:

My concern is the rigmarole involved when one has to take a leak. Because of the all-in-one nature of the garment, it is necessary to strip almost to the 'buff' in order to deploy the python.

Make sure you get bibs with a decent front zip is the answer - no stripping then needed.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

bib tights should, theoretically, be held closer to the skin with less movement of the pad so less chaffing. as said, no waist band to dig in, warmer lower back ( pro or con depending on outside temperature).

having a pee is not problem for me with bibs that have a low front, such as the castelli. Endura, Lusso and something else i had some time ago, all needed contortions, but i've never had to strip.

some bib tights have a zip to facilitate a wizz.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Bib tights are very good post Christmas to support the turkey implant with no waist band to dig in.

There is no rigmarole involved in any of the bib tights I use because they have a zipper in the front which allows one to pull down and lean forward enough for the job.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

bainbridge wrote:Hi tourers

I have a specific question regarding wearing bib tights.

Does anyone else find these extremely uncomfortable in the genital area?

Yes, I do.

I defer to those with prior knowledge of bib tights with a zip fly, though ( donning my pedant's hat ) wouldn't that make them bib trousers?

I have only ever bought one pair and wore them only once, so my sample is not a large one. I won't be repeating the experiment but concede that bib tights may make a passable pair of pyjamas/cum chastity belt.

As for keeping the lower back from chilling, the traditional knitted cycling jersey with pockets on the long back does that more than adequately.

JL
pete75

Post by pete75 »

jimlews wrote:
I defer to those with prior knowledge of bib tights with a zip fly, though ( donning my pedant's hat ) wouldn't that make them bib trousers?

JL

Or maybe salopettes.....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

as a recent ' bib ' convert, I understand what you mean. However I think the problem lies , not with the size of the bibs, but the length on the straps. Quite often, they are not long enough for me, and after about an hour my balls ache, as I feel I am being cut on two. The answer is, next time you feel constricted, slip the straps off your shoulders, and try that. If it works, then you need only to extend your shoulder straps by a couple of inches. This can be done where ever is convienient, either with buttons or velcro. :wink:
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

yostumpy wrote: The answer is, next time you feel constricted, slip the straps off your shoulders, and try that. If it works, then you need only to extend your shoulder straps by a couple of inches. This can be done where ever is convienient, either with buttons or velcro. :wink:

Plusses with braces.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I don't know about all these strange clothes - I just wear normal underwear, jogging bottoms and ride a leather saddle usually, no problems ever (assuming the saddle is set up right and is compatible with me).
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Thanks everyone for your replies, I think yostumpy hit the nail on the head because they become very tight between the shoulders and the groin, so next time I'll slip off the shoulder straps when they start hurting my nether regions and if the pain goes the shoulder straps will have to be extended with some elastic.

Thanks again everyone.
djoptix

Post by djoptix »

Let us know how you get on. I am long in the torso (when I worked this out it explained why I couldn't get frames to fit me) and have fancied bib shorts, but might give them a miss after reading this post!

I usually wear some el cheapo (Muddy Fox) tights with a pad, and ride a Brooks. No pain - but the tights are anything but tight.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

bib tights/shorts are designed to feel tight when standing upright, but then comfortable when leaning forward on the bars. if they are still tight when leaning forward they are the wrong size/shape for you.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

bainbridge wrote:they become very tight between the shoulders and the groin, so next time I'll slip off the shoulder straps when they start hurting my nether regions

Or you could buy some in the right size…?