Vitamin B12

Swallow

Vitamin B12

Post by Swallow »

I haven't ridden my bike for nearly three years due to spinal issues and a complete lack of strength in my legs. I had decompression surgery last November and thought that would sort things out but it made no difference at all, in fact since then I've developed cervical stenosis. A recent blood test has shown that my body is not producing Vitamin B12 which can cause the whole raft of symptoms I have including anxiety, depression and muscle weakness. I will need a course of injections for five weeks and there after a shot every three months, Dr seems to think I should find a big improvement, fingers crossed
'Kernow bys Vyken'
freeflow

Re: Vitamin B12

Post by freeflow »

Vitamins are essential chemicals that we only get from the food we eat or supplements. B vitamins are hard to absorb so injections are a good way to get your levels up quickly. If you are very deficient in b12 then your body won't be able to process food properly so you'll probably feel tired, fatigue quickly and be slow to heal.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vitamin B12 is, as I understand it, the only vitamin which vegans cannot get from their diet: they are strongly advised to take a vitamin supplement to make up the deficiency. So if you are a vegan, this diagnosis makes some sense. I don't think the human body is capable of manufacturing B12 of itself - or, at least, not enough of it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The body doesn't produce B12 at all, so the doc may be referring to B12 processing. Good luck with the jabs.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Audax67 wrote:The body doesn't produce B12 at all, so the doc may be referring to B12 processing. Good luck with the jabs.

Yes I think that's what he means. Thank you
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Audax67 wrote:Good luck with the jabs.
+1
...... and good luck generally. Get well soon.
Mick F. Cornwall
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Mick F wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Good luck with the jabs.
+1
...... and good luck generally. Get well soon.

Thank you
'Kernow bys Vyken'
TrekMad

Post by TrekMad »

B12 jabs are nothing to worry about, I used to get them when I had a deficiency as a teenager. I was right as rain in two months. Professional and even amateur athletes who are not meat eaters will often opt for a B12 injection every 3 months as it is essential to performance and muscle building and is very difficult to get in sufficiency from other sources.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

TrekMad wrote:B12 jabs are nothing to worry about, I used to get them when I had a deficiency as a teenager. I was right as rain in two months. Professional and even amateur athletes who are not meat eaters will often opt for a B12 injection every 3 months as it is essential to performance and muscle building and is very difficult to get in sufficiency from other sources.

Not worried, looking forward to some improvement in my condition
'Kernow bys Vyken'
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I sometimes feel like a human pincushion so plenty of jab experience. Don't want to alarm you but B12 injections are relatively painful as the stuff is fairly thick and has to go in slowly. I jest slightly but at least there should be no after effects and it dies down after a few minutes.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

ambodach wrote:I sometimes feel like a human pincushion so plenty of jab experience. Don't want to alarm you but B12 injections are relatively painful as the stuff is fairly thick and has to go in slowly. I jest slightly but at least there should be no after effects and it dies down after a few minutes.

I had the first one on Friday, the Doctor asked the student that was with him to do it, no problem at all, 'tho I think I've developed quite a high pain threshold.
'Kernow bys Vyken'