Bull Horn Bar Brake Levers and Shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pickerd1

Bull Horn Bar Brake Levers and Shifters

Post by pickerd1 »

I have bull horn bars on my single speed bike. These have reverse pull brake levers (Tektro RX 4.1) which I like very much. I am planning on putting gears back on this bike - probably just a 1x10 set-up.
The question is what type of brake levers and shifters.

Previously I have successfully set-up Tiagra STI levers on bull horns - they worked but weren't very elegant as the gear cables came out at right angles to the lever. These levers are now on my Croix De Fer bike and are not available for use on the SS. I did try 105 STI levers which have under tape routing - the gear routing was too tight (via noodles) and compromised shifting.

Options:
1 - buy /fit another set of STI levers - expensive and ugly - hands in one position for brake and shift
2 - keep the Tektro RX 4.1 levers and buy / fit some MTB style thumb shifters on the flat bit of the bars either side of the stem - may cause problems with rear mech choice (MTB only?) - means moving hands for brake / shift?
3 - buy / fit some bar end shifters (e.g. dura ace SL-BS78) and buy / fit brake levers on the flat bit of the bars either side of the stem - means moving hands for brake / shift?
4 - keep the Tektro RX 4.1 levers and buy / fit some bar end shifters (dura ace SL-BS78) with bar clamps just under the brake levers - these seem to be available at SJS cycles but the clamp diameter is too small?
5 - buy / fit some bar end shifters (dura ace SL-BS78) and get some reverse pull brake levers with bar clamps (if they exist) - maybe morph standard pull levers and reverse pull elvers?

Any other options or ideas?
beardy

Re: Bull Horn Bar Brake Levers and Shifters

Post by beardy »

2 - keep the Tektro RX 4.1 levers and buy / fit some MTB style thumb shifters on the flat bit of the bars either side of the stem - may cause problems with rear mech choice (MTB only?) - means moving hands for brake / shift?

If you use 9 speed instead of 10 speed then there will be no problem with (Shimano) derailleur compatibility.
gaz

Post by gaz »

pickerd1 wrote:...
4 - keep the Tektro RX 4.1 levers and buy / fit some bar end shifters (dura ace SL-BS78) with bar clamps just under the brake levers - these seem to be available at SJS cycles but the clamp diameter is too small?
Any other options or ideas?

I'm not sure what "bar clamps" are but you might be able to do something with Cinelli Spinacci or 3TTT Tiramisu to mount bar-end shifters in a suitable position: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57027&p=804866&#p804862
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pickerd

Post by pickerd »

Sorry - by bar clamps I mean brackets that clamp around the bars to hold the levers as opposed to clamp on bar extensions.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Throw the extensions away and Spinaccis can be used as brackets that clamp around the bars to hold bar-end levers. I don't know if you can successfully adapt this idea for bullhorn bars.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Di2 or Etap :lol:
Jeff31

Post by Jeff31 »

This is my preferred handlebar set up. Bar end shifters and aero brake levers. Gives a comfortable hand position to cover the brakes and you only have to slide your hands up the bars to get to the gear change. Jeff
Attachments
Hbar3.jpg
pickerd

Post by pickerd »

That looks good. There don't seem to be any reasonably priced clamp on reverse pull levers out there and the ones that exist are for low diameter bars. Similarly dura ace bar end shifters can be bought with bar clamps but these are also for liw diameter bars.
So upside down brakes levers seems the best way unless the cable entry can be swapped on these ?
georgew

Post by georgew »

pickerd wrote:That looks good. There don't seem to be any reasonably priced clamp on reverse pull levers out there and the ones that exist are for low diameter bars. Similarly dura ace bar end shifters can be bought with bar clamps but these are also for liw diameter bars.
So upside down brakes levers seems the best way unless the cable entry can be swapped on these ?

I tried to do just that and failed. Despite trying to file a new entry point the clamping screw and nut fouled the cable.
Jeff31

Post by Jeff31 »

Hi Pickerd

The "upside down" lever works well, with your hand directly above the lever your stronger fingers have more leverage and straightening your arms to become more upright and increase drag gives maximum braking with minimum effort. If you are stretched out to be more aero your little finger can reach the end of the lever and offer enough braking to check your speed. If using the straight part of the bar you cannot reach the brakes but if that is an issue then auxillary levers can be fitted.

Jeff
pickerd

Post by pickerd »

Thanks Jeff and others. I think the upside down levers will be best way forward.