Flevobikes?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
DaveP

Flevobikes?

Post by DaveP »

Just indulging my curiosity!
If I skim through the recumbent section on ebay there are always several of these on offer. Sometimes that's all there are, yet I never seem to see references to them anywhere else.
Is there any particular reason for that?

(Please don't rush to dissuade me from buying one - I'm only recumbent curious!)
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
pjclinch

Re: Flevobikes?

Post by pjclinch »

The Flevobike (and Flevo Racer) were (as far as I can tell) either never sold by a dealer in the UK, or if they were not for very long, so they're relatively few and far between.

Look up close and you can see they're properly unconventional, with the bars being places to put the brake and gear controls and rest your hands, while the steering is done through the legs with a pivot in the middle of the bike. I've never tried one so don't know how awkward they are, but they are noted as quite different! I have had a go on a trike with a similar steering mech, and that was fine most of the time but every now and then I'd just veer off course...

The handlebars not being part of the steering means that if you can ride them then hands-free is trivial, and the system allows for front wheel drive with no issues of twisting the chain.

I suspect the main reason they're not ready sellers is that unless you can have a good go at them they're not something you can predict you'll actually be able to ride.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd like to have a go on one, but I imagine it's another new skill to learn. The difficulty I can see is that you can't scoot as obviously when you are learning, but you also don't need hands on, so maybe that makes up for it?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Ooh! I wish I'd read further down the page - I hadn't spotted the steering arrangements, and now I'm rather tempted. I'd love to have a try if only to see if I could cope. I used to be able to control a kayak with hip tilt, but I'm not quite as flexible these days.
Try before you buy would seem to be quite a good idea...

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd like to have a go on one, but I imagine it's another new skill to learn. The difficulty I can see is that you can't scoot as obviously when you are learning, but you also don't need hands on, so maybe that makes up for it?

You're thinking - walking poles with a castor tip, or handheld skates? :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Skates, or just heavy duty gloves.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Sorely tempted - except that I doubt that I could acquit myself honourably on a stiffish climb. The road outside the house is 1 in 5 ...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Go down it then...
Barogerl2

Post by Barogerl2 »

Sometwenty years ago I went to Holland and purchased a Flevotrike from the makers.It was demonstrated to me by a ride around the desks and workbenches in the factory. |I then had a go - in fact I had about ten goes before I could ride a few yards. Not helped by the fact I was wearing a skirt. Wobbliomng allover the road I took an hour to ride the mile to my hotel.The beauty of Holland is its wide roads, cycle friendly motorists and the multitude of cycle paths. Over the next week I got more used to it, helped by traffic free conditions. After six months more riding in England (never more scared!) I got proficient and manged hands off and some 40 miles in a day on one ocasion topping 48mph downhill. I then used it to commute some 15 miles each way to schools in Richmond, Surrey,where I taught cycle proficiency to the children. They were intrigued by the machine, though I never rode hands off in the vicinity of the school.
Yes it does take a fair amount of patience to ride one of these unusua lmachines , but it is worth it in the end. If you want to try one out -I live in a cul de sac in the Lowestoft area now, just contact me andyiucan have a go AT YOUR OWN RISK!
gcarter38

Post by gcarter38 »

long shot I know but do you still have the flevo
Graham

Post by Graham »

Barogerl2 was last active ( logged in ) Dec 2nd 2015.

Perhaps you need to ask questions to a wider audience on the forum ( whether HPV related or anything else ) ?