British Eagle touristique

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
boyztoyz

British Eagle touristique

Post by boyztoyz »

Hi.
I have been offered British Eagle Touristique which is in excellent original condition complete with Carridice pannears for £80.Would this be a good buy?
foxyrider

Re: British Eagle touristique

Post by foxyrider »

friend of mine had one of these in the late 80's - he seemed to like it but the brakes were terrible to set up, not sure of the brand but looked like a set of Meccano! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

if it fits you, is good condition etc, you cant lose a lot. panniers may be worth the 80notes if they are good
gaz

Post by gaz »

If I was happy with it's provenance and it fit me I'd buy it.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

My brother still rides his and loves it.
I'd ditto the above comments.
His bike had bad fork judder under braking but that was cured with an uphanger.
A 531st framed bike in excellent condition with Carradice panniers for £80, in my opinion that's a bargain!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

boyztoyz wrote:Hi.
I have been offered British Eagle Touristique which is in excellent original condition complete with Carridice pannears for £80.Would this be a good buy?

if it is what you want it is a bargain. If it isn't what you want you should be able to sell it on without loss. Go for it!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Used one of them for years for touring. Very good machine not overly clumsy to ride unladen and very stable with loaded panniers front and rear. The brakes on mine were Shimano BR AT50 - they work better with drop bar levers than a lot of modern cantis.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
boyztoyz

Post by boyztoyz »

Thanks for all your comments and advice.Have purchased the bike and can say i'm very happy with it.Will see how it perfoms over the next few months :)
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

boyztoyz wrote:Hi.
I have been offered British Eagle Touristique which is in excellent original condition complete with Carradice panniers for £80.Would this be a good buy?

Great bike!
I also have recently bought one of these ( from this forum ) and I am very pleased with it.

I have been riding it to work, about eight miles each way and it performs very well. I have also taken it up through the local mountain bike centre; no ten foot dropoffs or anything stupid like that, just up the forestry roads and single tracks and along the sheep walks above. It is a quite capable roughstuff machine. Also quite rapid on road; the tyres may have something to do with that - Vittoria Rubino Intrepid - not a tyre I have heard of before, but fast and comfortable.

Assuming it fits you, I think you have made a great buy. I know I am happy with mine even though I paid a lot more than you did.
pga

Post by pga »

531 framed bike for £80. Grab it - steel framed bikes are costing new up to £2500 plus and second hand ones up to £1000.
Just make sure it is the right size!