I want a helmet for winter commuting - what's a good one?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Tangled Metal

I want a helmet for winter commuting - what's a good one?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Not saying it'll save my life or anything just that I want one for my own way reasons, just not sure what's good one to get for commuting. Any ideas? Fit then price are my priorities but I'm thinking something in a bright colour with plenty of reflective decals.
Vorpal

Re: I want a helmet for winter commuting - what's a good one

Post by Vorpal »

If fit is the most important, than recommendations on here won't mean much; you have to go try them on. I haven't seen too many with reflective bits. You can always get a sheet of retroreflective stickers and decorate it yourself :)

That said, I recommend a Specialized S-works. It's not the cheapest helmet out there, but it's light, comes in a variety of colours, and Specilized are tested to the more stringent Snell standards.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I was looking more at the spesh align or Centro end of the spectrum. Think I once tried the align on and it's shape matched my head well. Just curious as to what else is out there worth looking at. I've had an met, my first one which was huge looking. Then I spent a lot more fit giro skyline which was considered a good lid back when I got it but a budget lid now.

thing is I've not been wearing one for years so not sure if a cheapo lid can be comfortable even if it fits well. If a £30 helmet fits well will it be comfortable even if it weighs a bit more than a £100 lid?
honesty

Post by honesty »

Specialized helmets (most of them anyway) are tested to Snell standards. i have an S3. I think if you are going to wear one, you may as well wear one that's at least tested to a better standard than others. I also usually wear a cycling cap under it to help with heat.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Heavy helmets give some people neck ache, but other than that, I'd say it's personal. I honestly would recommend go try them on. The main reason I bough the one I did was that I could hardly feel it on my head compared to other helmets.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Bought one of these a few months ago for MTB use (the peak can be removed). Wanted something with a fairly round profile (to minimise head rotation torques should I hit anything with it - the MIPS should help too) with an adjustable peak; the colour was the icing on the cake, so to speak. Has proved very comfortable so far, not too warm but definitely on the warmer side.
HTH
"42"
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Giro are a good make but my skyline gives me a headache. I've tried some giro lids and TBH the brand just didn't fit no matter which helmet I tried. I get the feeling that helmet brands are like clothing brands in that they have their own fit/shape.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tangled Metal wrote:Giro are a good make but my skyline gives me a headache. I've tried some giro lids and TBH the brand just didn't fit no matter which helmet I tried. I get the feeling that helmet brands are like clothing brands in that they have their own fit/shape.
Agree: I definitely have a Giro head :lol:
"42"
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Suspect I'm specialized head. Not really looked at bell, met, kask, Altura, garneau, etc. Not seen many of them around TBH.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I wonder what it means that I have a Specialized head? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My 10 quid Aldi job is comfortable and appears as well made as helmets many times the price. A multicoloured shower cap goes over it nicely :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Super Scrimper! Love it, what a way to save money. I guess if something fits and works for you then what is the point of paying top whack giro helmet prices?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I quite like thse but can't get one to fit me. If you want something different and they have things like winter liners
http://bernunlimited.com/shop/bike.html they ca nbe bought inthe UK as well
NUKe

Post by geocycle »

Vorpal wrote:If fit is the most important, than recommendations on here won't mean much; you have to go try them on. I haven't seen too many with reflective bits. You can always get a sheet of retroreflective stickers and decorate it yourself :)

That said, I recommend a Specialized S-works. It's not the cheapest helmet out there, but it's light, comes in a variety of colours, and Specilized are tested to the more stringent Snell standards.

The Specialized propero is the more economical version of the S-works. You can use replacement pads from the s-works in the propero if needed. Does a decent job for a £45 helmet.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

NUKe wrote:I quite like thse but can't get one to fit me. If you want something different and they have things like winter liners
http://bernunlimited.com/shop/bike.html they ca nbe bought inthe UK as well

Bern looks like skate park bmx lids. Also canoeing lids I think.