Best way out of Cherbourg

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Best way out of Cherbourg

Post by Penfold »

Once again am doing the landing beaches in 2016....

Will be using the ferry service into Cherbourg and wondered if anyone knows of a decent route out of the port perhaps even using a dedicated cycle route that would take us in the general direction of Quinéville.

This would put us at the start point of the western end of the beaches. (Utah)

Last time we left Cherbourg I recall we got rather hopelessly lost and ended up on some rather large dual carriageway type roads with rather bemused French drivers lol. :roll:

Any recent experiences or route advice? :idea:

Regards Penfold.
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
thornie1543

Re: Best way out of Cherbourg

Post by thornie1543 »

Google tour de manche,should find some info there
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Made a hash of it myself this year and nearly ended up on the N13 (no bikes permitted) Sadly my Strava wasn't working at that point and the Garmin gpx is rubbish so relying on memory. If you head towards the N13 and then take a right off the roundabout that would take you onto it there is a cycle path there which avoids the main road (in effect goes sort of alongside it). It is not particularly well signed but sort of obvious when you are there. This eventually takes you on to the D116 which is the coast road to Bretteville. Hope that helps.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Ah I now see you are cutting across the peninsular unlike my son and I who went round the coast so our route is probably out of your way.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just head east on the quiet D116 and drop in at Barfleur which is very pleasant little town where William the Conquerer embarked. It has a fantastic lighthouse, then on to St Vaast la Hogue, Normandys gourmet capital. One quarter of Frances Oysters come from there, its seafood is fantastic from restaurants around the harbour and there is Grosselins deli and cave which is a must. The french arrive in droves every weekend. A good place to stay is the Hotel de France et restaurant des Fuschias. Its a great place for an overnight stay.You can easily cycle down to Utah beach this way from Cherbourg in a day but dont miss St Mere Eglise and the German bunkers which are awesome. If you tarry at St Vaast you can visit Isle Tatihou which has a very interesting museum relating to Anglo French sea battles. The ride to and from the Isle is very interesting too. There is so much more to Normandy than the invasion beaches and cemetaries

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Penfold

Post by Penfold »

Many thanks for the replies...

Al,
Not much time to check out some of the museums and things I'm afraid...This is defo a quick trip (4 full days only) and camping too.
So need to get over to Utah PDQ.

brianleach,
Yep will need to cross country, would dearly love to follow the coast all the way but time prevents this.

thornie1543,
Doing that now, cheers.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you camp at Utah call in at a Boulangerie and Charcuterie first.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Penfold

Post by Penfold »

Cheers Al,
:)
- Anne Frank

- Winston Churchill