Rear View Mirror

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
HJRW

Rear View Mirror

Post by HJRW »

Opinions on pros & cons of a rear view mirror anyone ? Not got one yet, I can see the advantage of advance warning of a 'close shaver' - while I dislike 'clutter' & wind resistance (OK I know it's small!) on the bike, seems that the small bar end mirror is a worthwhile thing. I'm curious to sound opinion before I cut a hole in my (straight) bar grip.
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
byegad

Post by byegad »

If you always a helmet or glasses you can mount a mirror on either. Light, you can scan almost 180 degrees to the rear.
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Rear View Mirror

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

HJRW wrote:Opinions on pros & cons of a rear view mirror anyone ? Not got one yet, I can see the advantage of advance warning of a 'close shaver' - while I dislike 'clutter' & wind resistance (OK I know it's small!) on the bike, seems that the small bar end mirror is a worthwhile thing. I'm curious to sound opinion before I cut a hole in my (straight) bar grip.

Never a substitute for a looking behind, although I know of many who use them who feel that they are slightly more aware if they have a mirror fitted

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
john4703

Post by john4703 »

I like my bar end mirror, it is not a substitute for looking behind but if I see a car in my mirror I know it is there and have avoided a movement that potentially lets cold rain inside my waterproofs. I'd never assume that if the road looks clear in the mirror it is clear but check with a look behind before manoeuvring.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.
stevew

Post by stevew »

I've got one of these http://www.pacelineproducts.com/products/tkealook.html
Called a "Take a look Mirror"
Can't get on with it myself but others swear by them !!
I does give you a really good view over a large area behind and keeps you well informed whats going on back there.
For me, I couldn't get used to the focus change, my eyes just didn't want to play. May be good for someone else, 10 quid posted.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I have used mirrors for years and don't leave home without one,I have to say on the country roads I don't need to look back.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

At present I only use one on my shopping bike, mainly because the bars are wide and I do not find it easy to look over my shoulder riding that bike. I have faffed with a helmet camera and, although it was handy, the sticky pad failed so often I got fed up with it.

Incidentally, I've never understood why it is said to be necessary to look over your shoulder even if you have a decent mirror. Drivers are not expected to do this, except when setting off so why should two-wheeler riders? I know it is said to give a clue to observant road users that you are about to manoeuvre but I am happy to do that with hand signals.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cat Eye 'Racing' mirror £5.99, Halfords, wouldn't ride without one.
Rear view mirrors should be compulsory IMO.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Cateye 'Racing' mirror is good value compared with some. Very useful, especially in stop start town traffic.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have never fancied a mirror, not sure I want advance warning of "close shavers" it might not help my nerves. Though I can fully appreciate their uses for those with reduced mobility especially as I have had to stop on the left a couple of times recently on a particularly tricky right turn whilst I check behind is clear due to my own reduced mobility.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote:Have never fancied a mirror, not sure I want advance warning of "close shavers" it might not help my nerves. Though I can fully appreciate their uses for those with reduced mobility especially as I have had to stop on the left a couple of times recently on a particularly tricky right turn whilst I check behind is clear due to my own reduced mobility.

But they can give you enough warning to take evasive action.
I also find that it helps 'shut the door' on Mr Pratinastra when he's about to overtake with oncoming traffic where I don't think its safe, therebye controling his/her manouvre until I think it is.
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Apr 2008, 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.
essexman

Post by essexman »

I never leave home without one. Try driving your car without one. Its possible, but its easier with one and its the same on a bike.

If you want a non safety benefit, you will ride faster and smoother with a mirror. Why? Well like in a car you gain a constant awareness of whats behind you. This is great when you are on a road with intermittent fast moving traffic. Your going fast and come across a pot hole or bad stretch of the road, you havent got time to take a good look over your shoulder, so you have to go over the hole\ bad road and lose speed or momentum or just get a nasty shock but with the mirror, you probably already know that its safe to pull out to avoid it so you glide on past.

I fit cateye500 to all my fat bar bikes, but a small mirror is better than no mirror. The forum is full of threads on good and bad mirrors.
I hate snow.
Wildoo

Post by Wildoo »

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Wildoo wrote:These are very popular

http://www.wildoo.co.uk/mirrors.htm

Why do I have to buy them in pairs?
mrsbloomsburybarton

Post by mrsbloomsburybarton »

reohn2 wrote:Why do I have to buy them in pairs?
You don't. You don't have to buy them at all :)
...to help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, particularly by providing parking spaces for their 4x4s!!