Tools for new build

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gregoryoftours

Re: Tools for new build

Post by gregoryoftours »

old_windbag wrote:A crown race tool would also be nice to have as I've found the methods using pvc pipe etc simply didn't work.... or I wasn't forceful enough. Actually on this point I have sawn a slot in the crown race and fitted it( if you can buy a headset with a split crown race it makes life easy... as it should be ). Do others frown upon this bodge?

I'd be happy sawing a slot in a crown race if the bearings were cartridge type, I wouldn't do that if the ball bearings were going to run directly over the crown race and over the split.

I wouldn't use a crown race setting tool as a slide hammer - it's a pretty uncontrolled way of smacking the crown race on - better to rest the tool vertically on the race and tap it with a hammer which is how it's supposed to be used, minimising the risk of damage to the race, especially if it's alu. The Park tool actually can't be used as a slide hammer - the tube fits into the adapters and has to be rested in place and tapped.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Yes the split crown race is on cartridge headset. It effectively acts to centre the bearing rather than as a bearing surface for ball bearings. All my bikes now have cartridge headsets. It makes fitting, tool free and easy.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

old_windbag wrote:I have the cyclus headset press, its really nice and very solidly made. It cost me about £30 but I've also used it as a BB30 press for push in cups too. The tool to remove headset cups as below works well, I used one at Sustrans.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-headset-cup-remover-1-18-1-14/

Sadly I don't own one and have used dowelling to remove old cups :( .

A crown race tool would also be nice to have as I've found the methods using pvc pipe etc simply didn't work.... or I wasn't forceful enough. Actually on this point I have sawn a slot in the crown race and fitted it( if you can buy a headset with a split crown race it makes life easy... as it should be ). Do others frown upon this bodge?

A third hand tool for brake cables can be good to use, I also have the chain power link seperator/installer.

I have two torque wrenches, one for 3-30nm ( covers most bolts ) and a large one 30-210nm for crank bolts. Both low cost sealey/draper types but with calibration certificate.

I have nothing of the equipment you mention there and can/will build any kind of bike.