Nordlicht Dynamos

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
rmurphy195

Nordlicht Dynamos

Post by rmurphy195 »

A couple of years ago I had to replace my worn-out dynamo.

After researching the market I purchased a very nice Nordlicht dynamo with a grippy rubber roller, and very well it worked too on the few occasions when I used it.

Now however the rubber roller is cracking - I guess its getting on a bit! So I enquired after a replacement. But the only one I could find was on Ebay at a horrendous price taking into account postage from Germany.

Dutch bike bits (who I always find to be helpful, and give good service) inform me that Nordlicht have gone out of production, and that the rubber rollers are no longer available (their supplies dwindled very quickly).

So if you are thinking of buying one of these otherwise excellent dynamos (esp used off Ebay!) you might want to bear this in mind and make sure you can find a substitute for the roller.

I'm about to look at my old Dinky toys to see if their tyres fit ...

Cheers - Richard

PS I am informed that the metal rollers are not available as spares either!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
greyingbeard

Re: Nordlicht Dynamos

Post by greyingbeard »

scalextric tyres might ??
perhaps some o-rings and glue, on an electrical tape base ?
( trying to think of some cheap effective diy solution )
what are the internal and external diameters of the rubber roller ?
I bet some kind of grommets migh work ?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NUKe

Post by AlaninWales »

NUKe wrote:http://www.dutchbikebits.com/dynamo-lights/generic-rubber-rollers-for-dynamos

dutchbikebits wrote:Note: We do not recommend this roller for the version of the Nordlicht dynamo which came with a rubber roller from the factory. For those dynamos we have the original part which will work better for you. Similar, we also sell the correct replacement rubber for AXA HR dynamos

and following the link for the original part:
dutchbikebits wrote:Product not found!
So pretty much as the OP said :(
hercule

Post by hercule »

That's bad news - I have one on my hack bike and it works well, better than the AXA HR I also have. The present rubber roller is about to go - I think I must be unlucky as I have to replace it every couple of years. I've got one spare so OK for now, but thereafter I think I'm getting a hub dynamo.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Sorry to apparently revive an old thread, but, ...

I found an advert for the Nordlicht dynamo on Ebay, seems to have the rubber roller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Nordlicht ... xyVLNS85E8

I've contacted the seller to see if they can provide a spare roller - will keep you updated with the reply.

This is addition to the 10 items found at the back of a shelf by Dutch Bike Bits - tempted to get in touch with them to see if there were any rollers on the back of the shelf as well!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
drossall

Post by drossall »

I liked Nordlicht dynamos, but never got on with the rubber rollers, so replaced them with metal. I might (might) have a rubber one lying around. If so, it'll be a decade old, but it's yours for the asking.

You may have to ask a few times though. I haven't sent off the last thing I promised like this yet. I'm on an Audax tomorrow, but will look at some point this weekend if I can.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I have a spare rubber roller (like a grommet) here in front of me. I used Nordlicht dynamos up until about 2001 and I think I always used the roller with the rubber part, hence the spare. This has been in my box of bits for over 20 years but it does not seem to be cracked or in any way degraded. If you want it, PM me with your address and I will put it in the post.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Thankyou for the offers but I have a spare, in case I decide to refit the dynamo.

Significantly, IMHO the Ebay seller does not, he only has complete dynamos ("hello i had only complett dynamos best regards+") so if your are thinking of forking out 40 quid bear that in mind.

UPDATE 17/10/17 - I did ask Dutch Bike Bits if they had found any spare rollers on the backof the shelf along with the box of dynamos - but they haven't. Oh well, don't ask, don't get. However the have advised that maybe a plumbing supplies shop has a part that will do the job! Must have a look at that.
Comichubble

Post by Comichubble »

Hope you still have your Nordlicht because I ran into the same issue now, but guess what, this guy creates a 3D printable adapter that will allow the use of AXA rubber on a Nordlicht, cheers!!!!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3844936