Osteoarthritis

TerryJones

Osteoarthritis

Post by TerryJones »

Does anyone here cycle with this condition? I have had back problems for some time and have had 7 lumbar injections. I now learn that I have not only got lumbar osteoarthritis, but osteoarthritis in both hips. Has anyone got any advice regarding cycling and this condition.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
mjr

Re: Osteoarthritis

Post by mjr »

I know someone that does, but it sounds like it's milder than yours and in their knees more than anywhere else. As far as I know, the advice they've had is that low-impact exercise like cycling is basically good for slowing and mitigating its progress and to take ibuprofen for short times when symptoms are bad.

Hopefully you already know about Arthritis Care http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Livingw ... -arthritis
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think a lot depends on where your arthritis is.

I have osteoarthritis in my feet big toe joint and some bones on top of foot. I has stopped me walking (as in walking boots out for the day in the countryside - not just everyday walking around). And ironically having to stop such walking/rambling is what made me start cycling - an activity that gets me out in the countryside.

I suspect it is spreading to my ankles.

But my arthritis will present completely different challenges to yours (OPs).

Ian
TerryJones

Post by TerryJones »

I currently take Gabapentin for the pain it causes to my sciatic nerve, and Zapain, (a codeine based painkiller), for the actual arthritis. I can't tolerate anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen. According to the Arthritis Care group, cycling is a good exercise but I have yet to meet anyone, online or in person, who has the problem in their hips and lower back, that cycles.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TerryJones wrote:...I can't tolerate anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen....

(Sorry about going a bit off-topic) out of interest, in what way can't you tolerate ant-inflamatories.

I'm interested as I don't get on with them (never medically told that) - ibuprofen does absolutely nothing to me. Ended-up taking it for ages (9months+) before finally admitting it was doing nothing. Dentist then told me to take it for toothache and it did nothing (where then switching to paracetamol helped a lot). Naproxen was a disaster (terrible water retention, tinitus, etc.) so I had to stop after a week. Gave up on diclofenac quickly as well (bloating gut movement problems, etc.).

I recently was told to take ibuprofen (immediately before dental implant procedure) and I said no and we had a "discussion" and a compromise was reached using paracetamol instead.

Ian
TerryJones

Post by TerryJones »

Anti-inflammatories cause reflux and heartburn. I take an antacid (Lanzoprazole), but this is only partially effective.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

'Kernow bys Vyken'
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I am on a cocktail of methotrexate,hydroxychloroquine and naproxen. Ibuprofen is not allowed and the big loss is no alcohol. This mainly affects my hands and wrists and gives difficulty changing gear on my mountain bike and tourer. Have now gone on to Brompton which I can manage ok.
Slowly improving I think but going to see my consultant next week. Not more drugs I hope.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

ambodach wrote:I am on a cocktail of methotrexate,hydroxychloroquine and naproxen. Ibuprofen is not allowed and the big loss is no alcohol. This mainly affects my hands and wrists and gives difficulty changing gear on my mountain bike and tourer. Have now gone on to Brompton which I can manage ok.
Slowly improving I think but going to see my consultant next week. Not more drugs I hope.

Like you, I''m on a load of drugs, in my case for Psoriatic arthritis and spinal stenosis. I was on Methotrexate, then Humira now inject myself once a month with a drug called Simponi (Golimumab) Not much fun
Do you have bar end shifters or STIs on your tourer. I found STIs easier to use
'Kernow bys Vyken'
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I have Osteoarthritis in my lower back,both hips,finger joints and left shoulder,the right hip is by far the worst and I've been offered a replacement joint for the right hip and left shoulder.
At 62 I'm getting the most out of what I've got before having anything replaced as I'd prefer not to have to have a second replacement late on in life and end up wheelchair bound.
I take Ibuprofen for the pain and Omeprazole as a guard against stomach ulcers.
I find walking more than a mile difficult,but can cycle up 100 miles in a day though I'm more comfortable with around 65/70 miles.
The pain I try to make friends with as much as I can,but sometimes I begrudge it's friendship though :? .
The best move I made was stopping eating red meat and minimising dairy produce,and staying away from processed food as much as possible,it really does help.
I also take Glucosamine Sulphate 1500mg a day.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Hi Swallow I have STI on the MB which are painful to use. The old tourer which is a converted 1980's Bullhorn bar MB (now shortened bar) has bar mounted friction shifters much easier to use. Problem is compounded by having to look for a raised verge or kerb to mount and dismount preferably with something to lean against as have a tendency to fall over otherwise. Cycling is ok but cannot walk far as like you I have touch of spinal stenosis.
Old age does not come alone but I seem to still hang on and get some touring done in bits of the country I have not seen for years. About the only thing which keeps me sane!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Cycling and swimming are not weight bearing exercises which are necessary for bone strength. According to several sources it appears there could be a link between osteoporosis and excessive cycling - where weight bearing exercises are minimal. I always try to do some walking, even if I don't go more than a mile or so, and other exercise as well.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:The best move I made was stopping eating red meat and minimising dairy produce,......
Dairy produce is a good readily available source of calcium needed for bones and other functions in the body.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MikeF wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The best move I made was stopping eating red meat and minimising dairy produce,......
Dairy produce is a good readily available source of calcium needed for bones and other functions in the body.

So are many other foods.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
daveanmucker

Post by daveanmucker »

At 75 years old I have osteoarthritis in both knees I find walking downhill particularily painful. However I have very little problem cycling, I average around 100 miles a week on the bike enjoying every minute. I believe that if I didn't cycle my knees would be much worse. I also watch my diet, limiting the amount of red meat I eat and how much caffiene and alchohol I drink. I need new knee joints but am worried that I may bugger up my cycling if I lose what flexibility I have in my knees.