decent full fingered gloves

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
honesty

decent full fingered gloves

Post by honesty »

Any suggestions for full gloves with padding for drop bars. Most Ive seen are mountain bike gloves and the padding seems to be in the wrong places (could just be me imagining this here!) I have thick waterproof winter gloves, but they are too hot at the moment but my standard finger-less gloves are too cold.
simonineaston

Re: decent full fingered gloves

Post by simonineaston »

As a recent convert to Sealskinz, I can give their stuff a big Thumbs Up - they do all sorts of gloves, one of which maybe just what you want. Bit dear, but you get a good product.
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
honesty

Post by honesty »

I have Sealskinz gloves for waterproof/winter riding. They are great. Bit hot at the moment though.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Spring Autumn and most of the winter I wear deFeet gloves
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-e-touch- ... on-gloves/
They're great for the cool morning and are still wearable when its warmed up on the way home in the evenings.
No padding they are a knitted glove, but very comfortable. I have too pairs one are merino wool which they seem to have stopped making. and the pther are a nylon mix . The merino ones are slightly warmer, but seem to hold the water more . The nylon ones are tough hard wearing and as they are the neon ones bright.
NUKe

Post by Erudin »

I find thin thermal gloves work well, wear fingerless gloves over them if more padding needed.
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

Castelli - Estremo - Hands down the best I've had and I've gone through a lot. Maybe go for the one 'warmth rating' down in the range as the Estremo are rather warm
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I use ski gloves
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Aldi gloves?? Just not quite cold enough in the day for gloves yet, but soon will be. Haven't tried this year's purchases yet, but last year's were fine on drops - for me anyway :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

At this time of year I wear EDZ merino wool gloves (£10) under fingerless mitts. You can wear either or both and adjust the set-up as the ride progresses and the autumn weather invariably changes.
http://www.edzlayering.com/product/meri ... ves-green/
Eammno

Post by Eammno »

I'm very pleased with the full fingered gloves I bought in Mountain Warehouse. around a tenner last year IIRC.
They seem to be a nice compromise between summer shorts and full winters, but not water proof.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Dynamite_funk wrote:Castelli - Estremo - Hands down the best I've had and I've gone through a lot. Maybe go for the one 'warmth rating' down in the range as the Estremo are rather warm

What is the maximum temperature at which these remain tolerably comfortable, in your view?

It is slightly strange that the Tempesta, for warmer weather, is even more expensive than the Estremo.
nez

Post by nez »

Assos fugu are great, but you'd better be sitting down when you read the price. Mine were a gift for the completion of my sixth decade. Got to love your kids!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We had a hard frost last night, so I wanted my Sealskinz this morning!

But otherwise, I often warm up enough for fingerless mitts this time of year. If I need a bit more, or it's too cold at the start, I wear merino glove liners with fingerless mitts.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
honesty

Post by honesty »

nez dans le guidon wrote:Assos fugu are great, but you'd better be sitting down when you read the price. Mine were a gift for the completion of my sixth decade. Got to love your kids!

I nearly choked on my tea when I just googled these. I think a little outside my price bracket (and I thought Rapha gloves were expensive!).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

honesty wrote:Any suggestions for full gloves with padding for drop bars. Most Ive seen are mountain bike gloves and the padding seems to be in the wrong places (could just be me imagining this here!) I have thick waterproof winter gloves, but they are too hot at the moment but my standard finger-less gloves are too cold.

Surprised and bemused here. What is the difference between mountain bike and road gloves? I wasn't aware there was meant to be any.