Up for a ride?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
cookie32

Re: Up for a ride?

Post by cookie32 »

Great ride, I spent most of it laughing. I set off in the chill of the Autumn morning. The glove with the finger tips missing may have been a mistake as every time I touched my brakes the cold set in. We got off to a good start, and them we let Jon talk us into using a road that was questionable. I quickly realise loose sand and rocks don't mix well with two wheel recumbents. Once we returned to civilisation we made a wrong turn which led us to some fully loaded brownies at the Udder Room, hmmm. Jon split ways with Dave and I from there. Hope you all enjoy the video. Thanks for joining me Jon and Dave.

[youtube]dhw5fcUxQWU[/youtube]
Only dead men have seen the end of wars

Pashley PDQ, Performer 922
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Ok we're off again. Nice long looping route, starting in Ely to Cambridge and back to Ely. This ride will be on the 20th of Sept. If your in the area an up for a ride please feel free to join us the company is always welcome.
http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3274908 ... idge-loop/
Starting point will be:
Near to Price Bailey building
Ely Car Park (quite near Cathedral),
off Broad Street,
Post Code CB7 4GE

Time: 09:00am
Date: 20-Sept-15

I'm working the map now. it will be ready for review by 1700

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

We did it again. Let me start by thanking Rob for driving 70 miles in from Melton Mowbray to join us. I was expecting some fog to start with but as you can see the weather looks nice from start to finish and it was exactly that. Outside of a lot of laughs and a roadside debate with a BMW M3 driver there's not a lot to report other than how wonderful the ride was. Can't wait for the next one, thanks Jon, Brian, and Robert once again.

[youtube]OnD5F048p2A[/youtube]

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

"You don't look so big when you're riding that thing :shock: ", gulped the BMW driver in response to being told that 1.5 metres is a minimum safe distance to keep.

[I'm pretty sure he was referring to the rider, not the recumbent ]

Good time, thank you all. Date and Walnut/Pecan ingredients on the shopping list, ready for the next one !

:D :D P.s. Whoop whoop congratulations to Will, btw. On the saturday before, he claimed his (first, no doubt) Imperial Century.

https://youtu.be/DtFLMk-R4CE
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Time to hit the road again. We're headed to Oxborough to enjoy a nice meal and a pint or two at the Bedingfeld Arms. While we're there we'll also make time for anyone interested seeing Oxborough Hall. I'm not sure about the weather just yet. Looks like rain is in the forecast at the moment, but it's a bit early to be sure. Long as steady showers aren't expected the ride will be a go. We'll be setting off from Angel's Café in Mildenhall and parking is free and unlimited for those who may need to drive. We'll meet for 0830 when the café opens for a hot drink before setting off. All the important details are below, if I've missed anything please let me know.

Route: http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3293021 ... oxborough/

meeting time and local: 0830 on the 11 Oct. 2015 8 Chiswick Ave, Mildenhall, Bury Saint Edmunds IP28 7AY

Lunch stop: http://www.bedingfeldarms.co.uk/

point of interest: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/oxburgh-hall/ there is a fee to enter the Hall grounds
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/oxboro ... ghcofe.htm

Will

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Lucky us, looks like the weather Gods have seen fit to throw a high pressure system right in the middle of what's left of hurricane Joaquin. Splitting it right down the middle and leaving us with a nice Autumn day.
I'd like to encourage every that's on the fence about joining this ride to come out. This will probably be the last nice ride weather wise before the cold sets in and the clocks rollback. This ride is a fair distance but as flat as they come.
Jon and Brian are in, turns out it's Dave's birthday so he's out. Robert said he'd be driving in from Mowbray and Alan is a maybe. Decent size group, anyway back to the point don't miss out, you'll regret it.

Will

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

What a group. Alan, Rob, Rich drove in from a far distance to join Jon, Brian, Shahbaz and I. Marco joined us enroute just before we reached Oxborough. This is the largest group we've had and they picked the perfect ride to show up. Every mile seemed to raise the temperature outside and the laughs amongst the group. Rich even afforded us a laugh as a pretty lady said hello he saw fit to lay his bike on its side. I think I'll find a better place to stop for a snack next time we head out this way. They were friendly but we had to sit outside due to booking and the prices were a touch high. We were blessed with long straight roads on the way back home along with beautiful weather. Hats off to Shahbaz for taking his first ride of the year on a DF and doing 55 miles. Thanks again to Rob, Alan,and Rich for driving in and everyone else for attending.

[youtube]BlrNU7RQpME[/youtube]

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Great to see the everyone for a ride on Sunday - thanks to Will for setting it up. :) :)

It's sad to think the days are getting shorter, so thoughts turn to next year - Brian and I were chatting yesterday and wondered on some other ideas ?

a) How many would be be interested in a ride + brewery tour ? Greene King offer a Sunday morning tour (11.30) if booked in advance,

https://www.greenekingshop.co.uk/brewery-tours/

b) How does the propsect of a 2-day cycle camping mini-tour out in East Anglia grab you ? I'd think we could plan a circular route for a date next year that allows us to leave everyone's camp kit in one rider's vehicle at the campsite, then drive off to the start point.(Just need to make sure one rider's car can carry two recumbents from campsite/dropoff to the start). Expressed preference for camp cooking or pub grub needed in advance (campsite cooking gets my vote - I can hear the sizzling bacon right now.....)

(Big thanks to Brian too, as yesterday he took a day out to join me stripping wallpaper at a bungalow in the middle of nowhere - much appreciated. We had lunch at Maglia Rosso, the cycle cafe. Worthy of a cake stop on another ride.

One last thing that cropped up in conversation - something to marvel at: Oliebollentocht 2014 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TriW5Lj1eQ
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

We have another ride coming up on the 25th. It will be hosted by Alan Goodman starting at 0900. It's starting in Hemel Hempstead so those of you down South that can't make it to our rides in Suffolk here's your chance. I unfortunately can't make it but you will be in good hands. According to Alan the route is a little bumpy but there's beautiful scenery along the way. Alan has inform me he is able to adjust the route if hills will be an issue. There is plently of free parking at the meeting point, along with shops/pubs in case anyone needs to grab a snack for the road. If you need to contact Alan let me know.
So 0900 on the 25th and here's the route.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3490585

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Getting in a metric century with Dave this weekend on a ride to Denver. The vitals are below if anyones interested.
Meeting point: Isleham, Ely, Cambridgeshire CB7 5RY
Sunday 1st of Nov at 0900
Route planned http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3314841-denver-or-bust/

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Finally finished Sundays video and write up. Been one of those weeks.

Met up with Dave for what was suppose to be 60 miles. It turned into 72 for me and 81 for him. We set out with the sun on our faces, but that soon changed as we hit the Fens which the fog had thoroughly blanketed. We reached the Denver Complex in good time. I wish the video was better but it was just too foggy. We stopped for tea and cake at Denver Golf course where we met a nice DF rider who said he lived in Sedge Fen. We followed him toward what we thought was Sedge Fen which took us off our planned route but with the promise of seeing some new roads we hadn't used before. There must of been a misunderstanding because we were headed toward Swaffham not Sedge Fen. After a fair bit of unplanned climbing we had added 12 miles to my trip and 21 to David's. Talk about being taken for a ride. Lesson learned, hope you in enjoy the video anyway.
[youtube]3DFv14OA2dE[/youtube]

davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Great day out ,bit of a slog towards the end but some great lanes for riding. Lesson learnt if you plan a route stick to it.Looking forward to the next ride.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Picture review for 2015's rides

[youtube]BRDYZp1ZRdY[/youtube]

davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Nice one I think we should re name the bridge, call it trikers rest.
Swizz69

Post by Swizz69 »

Have enjoyed your vids Cookie!

In the year in review vid, whose is the black Tomahawk in the opening few minutes?