Hovis ad

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
NUKe

Re: Hovis ad

Post by NUKe »

when someone mentioned the Hovis ad .I immediately thought of the original with the young lad doing the deliveries for the family bakery.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hov ... 29BA6E5BC1

No helmet at all in that one, unless its reinforced flatcap .

despite the accent In the advert the advert and brass band playing the tune . You would think this advert is filmed in Yorkshire, but it is Gold hill in Shaftesbury
NUKe

Post by pwa »

MartinC wrote:
pwa wrote:..........................I wear it because it has some protective attributes that are likely (but not guaranteed) to help me if my head collides with something........................................

Very gentle challenge to this logic. Exactly the same rationale applies to wearing a knotted handkerchief. What underpins it in this case is an assumed value for the "likely" part of the argument. Unfortunately there's no real evidence that the protective attributes of a plastic hat are more likely than a knotted handkerchief.

I agree that the solid, irrefutable evidence is not there, but my point is that in the absence of definitive proof one way or the other I resort to an educated guess based on personal experience. It's not perfect but it will have to do. So boring though it may be, my use of a helmet is due to a desire to add a bit of protection to my bonce, and not due to symbolism.

The original Hovis advert always made me tense because that hill looked awfully steep and the heavy bike looked to have those ineffective rod brakes working on chromed rims.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

pwa wrote:The original Hovis advert always made me tense because that hill looked awfully steep and the heavy bike looked to have those ineffective rod brakes working on chromed rims.

Do we know how many children were killed during the making of that advert?
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote: and not due to symbolism.

I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else chooses to wear a helmet due to its symbolism. What I am saying is that it is a cultural symbol and used as such in the advert.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:
pwa wrote:I wear a lid when I cycle (not tested for all potential impacts) for the same reason that I wear a hard hat on a construction site (also not tested for all potential impacts). I wear it because it has some protective attributes that are likely (but not guaranteed) to help me if my head collides with something. No Jonathan Meades like analysis is needed. No symbolism involved.
I agree on this.

I was wearing a helmet up until recently when I found myself losing hair. I've been losing it for years, but recently it's become sort of "critical" to comfort inside a helmet.

Try as I might, I couldn't get on with it any more. I tried padding, extra padding, and persevering. In the end, I gave up.

Has anyone noticed - other than Mrs Mick F?
No.
Not at all or at least no-one I know has commented in the slightest, even though I'm a common sight round here.

Lol...
viewtopic.php?p=563407#p563407
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Lol...
viewtopic.php?p=563407#p563407
Mick F wrote:I'm addicted to my helmet.
Yes, I still stand by that statement ................. as it was true in 2012, but I'm having therapy now. :lol:

Can you sell a secondhand helmet?

£100 worth of Specialized S3.
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-S3- ... _65021.htm
One owner, though high mileage.
Never been crashed.
Regularly serviced, washed and valeted. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I just came across that statement whilst looking for something else ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I just came across that statement whilst looking for something else ;)
That's ok!
It's good to have posters quoted from some years ago. It brings them (me?) back down to Earth.

.............. I must look up some or your early posts .............. there's more than 800 pages of them. 8)
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Crikey - I wonder what I thought about when I first started distance cycle commuting.

Probably clothing mostly... I recall being in many many layers my first winter - I rarely get to two layers nowadays (excluding a waterproof when it's raining)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Mick F wrote:One owner, though high mileage.
Never been crashed.
Regularly serviced, washed and valeted. :D

Lucky man! :wink: