Enigma Etape - Full Length Mudguard recommendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mnichols

Enigma Etape - Full Length Mudguard recommendations

Post by mnichols »

Can anyone recommend some full length mudguards for an Enigma Etape (caliper brakes) with Enigma front carbon fork?

I use 25mm tyres

Thanks
CREPELLO

Re: Enigma Etape - Full Length Mudguard recommendations

Post by CREPELLO »

mnichols wrote:Can anyone recommend some full length mudguards for an Enigma Etape (caliper brakes) with Enigma front carbon fork?

I use 25mm tyres

Thanks
SKS Longboards do look very nice, especially in brushed silver, and are a good length for winter riding. But you may need to ensure that the front lower stay bridge is shaped correctly to support the slightly heavier length of the LB. I found (out of the box) that the bridge was shaped too narrow and would allow the lower section of guard to wobble excessively (on the rivets), side to side. This has probably led to premature failure, as reported by Nuke of this forum. Well, I'm crossing fingers on this having widened the bridge concerned on my guards, that this failure might be delayed, or not happen. Bad QC or design I think , but still good guards.

http://www.bike24.com/p226605.html
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

CREPELLO wrote:
mnichols wrote:you may need to ensure that the front lower stay bridge is shaped correctly to support the slightly heavier length of the LB.

Thanks. Can you explain how you have made this modification please
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I Googled Enigma Etape and found this:
2252959112_9fbf6f0f05.jpg
They look like the black version of wot I bought recently. I bought silver in 35mm and as recommended on this forum. :D

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-bluemels-ro ... 5360183130
Mick F. Cornwall
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have Stronglight S-Type mudguards from Spa cycles on my Kaffenback: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b2s80p1622 They are a good alternative to SKS, the blades being made from a slightly thicker material.

I have Gilles Berthoud stainless mudguards on my tourer and my commuter, both sets bought from Planet X. They are superb, far superior to plastic mudguards IMO and the long version gives similar coverage to SKS Longboards, but they are probably too wide for the Etape even in the narrowest 40mm width.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

mnichols wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:
mnichols wrote:you may need to ensure that the front lower stay bridge is shaped correctly to support the slightly heavier length of the LB.

Thanks. Can you explain how you have made this modification please
The front lower stay bridge is simply a (much) tighter radius than that of the mudguard itself. It simply requires spreading to conform to that radius of the MG. You will also need to reform the drawbolt ears, which is a bit fiddly, but doable.

I really think these stay bridges would be far better secured with rivets to the sides, rather than in the middle. Failing that, if there was a way of using the stay ends to act as supports to wedge the mudguard to the stay bridge, that would also be an improvement. I haven't quite figured that one out yet. Possibly some judicious use of black Milliput putty...?
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Most use SKS Bluemells guards, as the round profile of the mudguard fits neatly with the standard road bike calipers, where as some the more traditional square profile mudguards are far more inclined to be 'pinched' when the brakes are applied. Distributed by Zyro, nearly all quality local bikes shops have accounts with them so should be easy enough to obtain

Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:Most use SKS Bluemells guards, as the round profile of the mudguard fits neatly with the standard road bike calipers

Thanks, what size do you recommend?
Paul Smith SRCC

mnichols wrote:
Paul Smith SRCC wrote:Most use SKS Bluemells guards, as the round profile of the mudguard fits neatly with the standard road bike calipers

Thanks, what size do you recommend?

If ordering locally retailers often reference them slightly differently, but equate to the same thing, SKS Bluemells, Olympic racer, 35mm profile, the latter being the width and the size we use on both the 'Caliper' and 'Disc' Etape Models.

The UK distributor is Zyro, the actual code they use is SKMBM3528B - 700C x 35mm black, the picture they show looks like the wider models, which is why I linked to the other pictures above.
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 22 Oct 2015, 9:47am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Pedal Club
Young@Heart

Post by Young@Heart »

I like the SKS Razor blade set up. They're lightweight and now come in a carbon option.
Paul Smith SRCC

Young@Heart wrote:I like the SKS Razor blade set up. They're lightweight and now come in a carbon option.

Do you mean these Young@Heart? If yes they are normally used on bikes that do not have clearance full guards; the Etape has so although those would fit, they would be an unlikely choice.
Member of the Pedal Club
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

CREPELLO wrote:
mnichols wrote:Can anyone recommend some full length mudguards for an Enigma Etape (caliper brakes) with Enigma front carbon fork?

I use 25mm tyres

Thanks
SKS Longboards do look very nice, especially in brushed silver, and are a good length for winter riding. But you may need to ensure that the front lower stay bridge is shaped correctly to support the slightly heavier length of the LB. I found (out of the box) that the bridge was shaped too narrow and would allow the lower section of guard to wobble excessively (on the rivets), side to side. This has probably led to premature failure, as reported by Nuke of this forum. Well, I'm crossing fingers on this having widened the bridge concerned on my guards, that this failure might be delayed, or not happen. Bad QC or design I think , but still good guards.

Just to clarify I had the issue with the 35mm ones, the wider ones are probably better. But I doubt the Enigma has room for the widerones

On the second set rather than get them replaced for it just to happen again. I used he shortened guard which had broken just below the rear stay, Drilled a new hole through the bottom of the lower bridge and attached the mud flap. Seems to work fine now. Still gives great protection as well.

So my advice would be to modify the guards before they break, similar to what Crepello has done they are brilliant mudguards for wet weather riding.
NUKe

...Just to clarify I had the issue with the 35mm ones, the wider ones are probably better. But I doubt the Enigma has room for the widerones ....

It's the caliper that influences the guard width as much as the frame, as if too wide the caliper can 'pinch' the guard when applied.
Member of the Pedal Club
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Thanks for the advice in this thread. My Etape is 8 years old and has done a lot of miles with SKS square section mudguards. But I switched from 23 mm to 25 mm Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyres a while ago which means more comfort but less clearance. At the back I have had to dislodge mud on occasion during a ride while the front also looked a bit close. Today something (not sure what) caught in the front wheel causing an emergency screeching stop with the guard folding and breaking under the bridge and a spoke torn out of the rim. Scary but could have been much worse. The releases on the stay didn't come off.

Not sure now whether to put Crud 3 guards on but I much prefer the look of proper guards or possibly see if Engima now do forks with clearance for the fashionable (and comfortable) larger tyres. My 17 year old Mercian (resprayed and on 3rd wheel set) still has the original SKS guards which have survived intact.

I've looked at the Blumels version and agree that the rounder profile looks a better fit so may track some down while I get the wheel fixed.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I use 25mm tyres

Thanks

Do not underestimate the rims on which the tyres are fitted.
This new fashion of wide rims on road bikes is leaving some people with unacceptable clearance with frames & forks. Not only the tyres are wider, but some road brake calipers would have reduced height when working on rims wider than what they were designed for
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...