Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
531colin

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Post by 531colin »

What is the question that you are asking Spa?
Charlie Whiskey

Post by Charlie Whiskey »

I had some questions on the specification of their chain rings, a question on when a crank arm set they list but out of stock will come back into stock, and also whether there's any chance they can ship to Australia.

To me it's rather rude they don't answer any of the three messages (of different content), even if they don't want to ship overseas. It's unfortunate not many places sell the stuff I'm after.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Terms and conditions say no international shipping. http://www.spacycles.co.uk/terms.php

Edit ... Sugino cranks in Australia.......http://www.scvimports.com.au/sugino-c-65_70.html
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Your order has now been dispatched*.

*Please note that orders sent Royal Mail are physically taken to the post office in batches and there may be a short delay before your order is dispatched.

Curious wording. Or should I say, utterly contradictory?

So not despatched then?

Especially as this email was in my mailbox at 01:03... Pretty sure the PO counters aren't running with night elves. Are Spa?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mrjemm wrote:
Your order has now been dispatched*.

*Please note that orders sent Royal Mail are physically taken to the post office in batches and there may be a short delay before your order is dispatched.

Curious wording. Or should I say, utterly contradictory?

So not despatched then?

Especially as this email was in my mailbox at 01:03... Pretty sure the PO counters aren't running with night elves. Are Spa?

I can't comment on your situation mr jemm, but there was an occasion that I had a problem with a component that I'd bought from Spa(it was Brooks Pro saddle). When I went back to the shop I found that they didn't have a replacement in stock and they'd do their best to get one. I'd heard from other sources that the agency that distributes these items were difficult to get satisfaction from but Spa said to leave it with them. They 'phoned me one evening at about 9.00pm, to tell me that they'd just sorted it with the agents over the 'phone, and there'd be another for me to collect in a few days. Spa had been certainly 'phoning on my behalf well out of 'shop hours'.

E-mails don't always come through immediately. Don't worry about the wording - the last item that I bought by post from Spa was a Spa saddle, about two weeks ago and it was actually delivered (by Royal Mail) about half an hour after I opened Spa's e-mail notifying me of dispatch.

Smoke was pouring from the bearings on the postman's bike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
FUJI AL

Post by FUJI AL »

Dealt with Spa several times over the last 10 years including buying my Fuji tourer, never had any problems. Their prices on Schwalbe tyres are unbeatable. I do find it best to look on the web-site then phone in your order.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

My tyres (as was the order) turned up promptly, that day... Shame I wasn't in, and only collected yesterday, and liking them. Big Bens for £15, nice price, nice riding. :D
PH

Post by PH »

Ordered a Showers Pass jacket last Friday (11th Dec)
Heard nothing by Wednesday so gave them a ring, told it wasn't in stock and the person dealing with it wasn't in. Asked to be contacted ASAP as I was hoping to get it before Christmas, heard nothing Thursday and couldn't get through at lunchtime on the phone. Couldn't get to a phone working hours Friday so emailed them, didn't get a reply. I cancelled the order today. Even if it had been is stock and ready to dispatch I was no longer interested in buying it from them, it wasn't discounted and they're not the only supplier.
I like the products and prices from Spa and sometimes the knowledge and advise are useful, but the inability to communicate with the customer means that if it's available elsewhere at a competitive price they don't get my business. They look like they're busy and business is good and they probably won't miss the bit I buy. But it wouldn't take much to become my first choice supplier rather than my last and I'm sure I can't be the only one who feels like that.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Ordered new saddlebag last Wed evening at about 5:30pm, was on my doorstep at 8:00 Friday morning.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I've just got call to report another bit of great service from Spa.

As per a post on the Bikes and bits thread I had call to repair a Spa Nidd saddle. After I completed the job I dropped Spa a note to let them know about the issue (just trying to be helpful). Well I got an immediate reply from John P apologising and putting the value of a Nidd saddle on tab for me by way of an apology. I think that that's pretty wonderful. I'm dead chuffed and have ordered a rear dynamo light and a pair of shorts.

Great company!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Spa seems to sell stuff you can't get anywhere else. They cater to cyclists that the rest of the worlds LBS's seem to have forgotten about - normal cyclists.

You either have to have a lightweight bone shaking road bike, or a MTB with fat tyres and a 44t outer chainring, thats it. Normal cyclists aren't that rigid about their "discipline" (because it isn't one) and just want a reasonably light, comfy and fast bike on the road that can go down the odd trail if need be... for every bike suited to that in a large bike shop they have 20 bone shaking lightweight road bikes that are rubbish on trails and 20 mountain bikes with fat tyres and 44t outer chainrings that are rubbish on the road.

Its like only being able to buy a Land Rover or a Ferrari. Thats it, you have those two cars to choose from. Someone might custom build you a "normal" car if you ask.

The problem with that is that out and out roadies are an exception, as are out and out mountain bikers. How many people do you know with a Land Rover or a Ferrari? Right then lol... why on Earth is it like that when it comes to bikes?!
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

quote="Manc33" . . . .
That sums it up nicely!
Last edited by Graham on 17 Jan 2016, 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Space utilisation
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

+1
When my last Nidd cracked at the nose piece, my fiancée asked me if there was anywhere else I could get a replacement saddle. In short, the answer was no. I'd seen similar models on amazon but they are hard to find (needing an exact description of the saddle needed) and just about every other leather saddle is pretty expensive.
I've the same issue with my chainset now. The middle ring is knackered. It's a square tapered 170mm 48-38-28T affair. I've gotten used to the stupidly big gears it has. Evans, Wiggle, Halfords, Decathlon and a few others all do indeed sell chainsets. But they're all either hollowtech this or hollowtech II that and come with a 42T big ring.
And pricy!
With a bit of luck I'll have my new XD-2 Touring Triple sometime this week and for less than 40 quid including delivery. :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Postman Pat came to my door at 10am today with my shiny new chainset :mrgreen:
Love those guys at Spa :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Manc33 wrote:Its like only being able to buy a Land Rover or a Ferrari. Thats it, you have those two cars to choose from. Someone might custom build you a "normal" car if you ask.

The problem with that is that out and out roadies are an exception, as are out and out mountain bikers. How many people do you know with a Land Rover or a Ferrari? Right then lol... why on Earth is it like that when it comes to bikes?!

This quote prompted me to join the CTC forum. I won't take this off topic for too long but this needs further comment. I agree there is a huge plethora of bicycles on the market and yet so little choice away from these two extremes. I think the cause is simply that vast majority of bicycles are bought by people who by force of circumstance have little insight into what they will need for quick, practical, efficient, versatile, pleasurable transport, so they wind up with a Land Rover or a Ferrari as a result.

And yes, I ride a Spa Cycle (Titanium Audax).

Smiles